Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Treasures are No More confirms Maltin R.I.P. (updated/merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Walt Disney Treasures are No More confirms Maltin R.I.P. (updated/merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 10:16 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
What were the problems? I was only collecting the Mickey Mouse sets (and had toyed with grabbing the recent Pluto release at Costco). Should I just stay with what I've got? I was interested in this wave when I saw it, but since it is over I guess I'm done.
The only "problems" are that many of the shorts in the last two waves have been unrestored w/ substandard transfers.

I am very sad to see the end of this line. Each release is truly a treasure w/ great content and brilliant features. I looked forward to each release. The two Silly Symphony volumes and the On The Front Lines collection are miracles. There are so many things on there I never thought would be released. While I enjoyed the Swamp Fox and Mickey Mouse Club, I wish those titles had been handled by some other collection allowing the complete series to be available. That would have made room for all the Donald Duck shorts. The fact that the Treasures line was able to put out nearly every Disney animated short, except for their most prolific character, is pathetic.

I will miss it. But I look forward to more Legacy releases. Destino and Secrets of Disneyland will be great.
Old 01-11-07, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mabuse
While I enjoyed the Swamp Fox and Mickey Mouse Club, I wish those titles had been handled by some other collection allowing the complete series to be available.
Ditto and I wish they would have released a Chip N Dale set.

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 01-11-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-11-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
My personal favorite of the Treasure set is Goofy.

I have never laughed so hard on Hockey Homicide.
Old 01-11-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
What were the problems? I was only collecting the Mickey Mouse sets (and had toyed with grabbing the recent Pluto release at Costco). Should I just stay with what I've got? I was interested in this wave when I saw it, but since it is over I guess I'm done.
The problems are only minor, IMO. The video quality of the later releases aren't up to the same high standards as the first wave. Although, I think the video quality still looks pretty darn good. (I haven't seen either of the Pluto releases yet, so I can't comment on the quality)

Also the quality of the packageing went down slightly. They got rid of the blue bands around the cases and IIRC, the back of the case just had a piece of paper glued on as opposed to the earlier releases which were actually printed on the tin.

While the picture quality is somewhat of a bummer, it should't stop you from picking up all the titles you want. I'm still looking to pick up the two Pluto titles myself. Even with the minor issues I still think they are great sets!
Old 01-11-07, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first started collecting the Walt Disney Treasures, they were a lot more special and it looked like a lot of work went into them. But as time went on and other studios released animation like the Hanna Barbera Classics Line, The Looney Tunes Golden Collection, and the BCI Ink & Paint Division, these waves have lost something in terms of quality in comparison. Besides from the presentation with the tins and it seems Leonard Maltin's involvement, it seems like the Legacy line which put out the rumored for Treasures at one time collection of True Life Adventures and is scheduled to put out Destino & Oswald the Rabbit are going to basically pick up the slack, but in a scaled down presentation version which I don't have as much of a problem with.

I really hope though that they finish up Donald Duck in the Legacy collection and eventually do a better Chip & Dale DVD.

Paul
Old 01-11-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also in this last wave there were edits.

On the Silly Symphonies Volume 2 there was some "racial dialogue that was edited in "The Night Before Christmas"

and Your Host, Walt Disney also included the same edited Disneyland 10th Anniversary special with about half of the Tiki Room sequence cut (This also happened with the Disneyland USA Tin, but was supposed to be fully restored according to Maltin)
Old 01-11-07, 03:07 PM
Banned

Is the Mickey Mouse sets avaiable or out of print? There is 2 sets of Mickey Mouse, am I right?
Old 01-11-07, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Is the Mickey Mouse sets avaiable or out of print? There is 2 sets of Mickey Mouse, am I right?
Their were 4 Mickey Mouse sets

Black and White Vol 1 and 2

Color Vol 1 and 2

All 4 are out of print, but I still see the Volume 2's at various stores.

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 01-11-07 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rusty Nail

Color Vol 1 and 2
They both have the same material right?
Old 01-11-07, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
They both have the same material right?
No all four sets have different material.

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

This link should clear things up.

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 01-11-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 04:20 PM

This REALLY pisses me off. I really wanted to see the Donald's finished. He's my favorite cartoon character EVER, and now I won't be able to see the rest of his shorts...I was really hoping to see the short with Donald and the escaped gorilla. A CLASSIC.

*jumps up and down with fists flailing like Donald*
Old 01-11-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
I didn't realize there were so many Chip N Dale shorts--I would love to have seen a set of them put out then. So are we basically missing 2 sets of Donald cartoons and 1 set of Chip N Dale cartoons to finish the major Disney shorts? How disappointing.
Old 01-11-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Although I've been extremely interested in many of the Disney Treasures line, I've only purchased the two Donald Duck DVDs. Knowing that I'm not going to be able to complete that collection is a huge letdown.
Old 01-12-07, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I didn't realize there were so many Chip N Dale shorts--I would love to have seen a set of them put out then. So are we basically missing 2 sets of Donald cartoons and 1 set of Chip N Dale cartoons to finish the major Disney shorts? How disappointing.
There were only three Chip n Dale cartoons so they would hardly make a set!
Old 01-12-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Masamune
This REALLY pisses me off. I really wanted to see the Donald's finished. He's my favorite cartoon character EVER, and now I won't be able to see the rest of his shorts...I was really hoping to see the short with Donald and the escaped gorilla. A CLASSIC.

*jumps up and down with fists flailing like Donald*
Old 01-12-07, 10:10 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by vanmunchen
There were only three Chip n Dale cartoons so they would hardly make a set!
Yes, I think it's worth pointing out that most Chip and Dale shorts were actually Donald Duck shorts
Old 01-12-07, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yes, I think it's worth pointing out that most Chip and Dale shorts were actually Donald Duck shorts
But I think it could still be worth while to make a set containing all the shorts that they were in, even if there was overlap with other sets. My father has been collecting pretty much all of them, but I'd want a C&D set for myself.

Maybe something like that would be better suited for the new Legacy line. One can hope, I suppose.

Still utterly unforgiveable to not finish the Donald series.
Old 01-12-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See post 32 in this thread over at HTF for contact info to email (a polite) message to Disney about this disaster.
Old 01-12-07, 01:38 PM

I don't know that much about the Treasures as I just began collecting them recently, but are all or any of the Humphrey the bear cartoons available? Because those are pretty high up on my list.
Old 01-12-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I sent my polite e-mail. Over the weekend, I'm going to send a snail-mail as well.
Old 01-12-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disney wants our cash so I'm sure the rest of the Donald's will see the light of day. (Now, they may not get released in pristine shape, but they'll get released.) They probably got too many complaints about the poor transfers in recent sets and realize that consumer expectation for quality in the tins are high and costlier to them. So, they're either going to release standard versions of the rest of their product or they're going to focus on Blu-Ray releases and pretty much re-release everything again.
Old 01-12-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Hanna Barbera seems to be going down the same road as Disney.Haven't heard any major announcements about future releases.
Old 01-12-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rusty Nail

Color Vol 1 and 2

All 4 are out of print, but I still see the Volume 2's at various stores.

All four are OOP but Volume 2 of both can still be found on shelves of stores like Best Buy, Borders, Circuit City. Volume 1 of the color cartoons is the most expensive disc I have ever bought (at $125) for a sealed copy...though the prices seem to have come down from that.

Originally Posted by mijorico
I don't know that much about the Treasures as I just began collecting them recently, but are all or any of the Humphrey the bear cartoons available? Because those are pretty high up on my list.

Hooked Bear and In The Bag are on the Disney rarities tin. Unfortunatley Beezy Bear, Bearly Asleep, Grin and Bear It and Rugged Bear (my favorite Humphrey cartoon) have not been released in any form on dvd.

Originally Posted by Pizza
Disney wants our cash so I'm sure the rest of the Donald's will see the light of day. (Now, they may not get released in pristine shape, but they'll get released.) They probably got too many complaints about the poor transfers in recent sets and realize that consumer expectation for quality in the tins are high and costlier to them. So, they're either going to release standard versions of the rest of their product or they're going to focus on Blu-Ray releases and pretty much re-release everything again.
agreed that they could see the light of day, and in the past Disney had not scrimped on cleaning up any of their property. They did however have to be reminded that certain restorations were already done. I doubt the Donal shorts will hit Blu-Ray sooner than later, as its still not a viable source of income. Remember Disney lead in VHS sales in its final days, as parents still wanted tapes for young children. It is obvious that Blu-Ray is superior to standard dvd, but it still doesn't make the cash.
Old 01-13-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,017 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Hanna Barbera seems to be going down the same road as Disney.Haven't heard any major announcements about future releases.
How about Scooby-Doo third season?
Old 01-13-07, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
How about Scooby-Doo third season?
See here

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.