Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I have two very rare OOP DVDs, What should I do?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-25-06, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Just curious. I happen to have two OOP DVDs based on Terry Pratchet's Discworld books, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music NTSC R1.

Some genius listed Wyrd Sisters (unopened, although mine have been watched) on Half.com for $1500. I have no idea what kind of demand there is for them. Should I list both on eBay and let the chips fall where they may or is there a better way to sell rare discs such as these?
Old 12-25-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
First thing you need to ask yourself is what is more important to you: Having the DVDs or having the money? I have some rare stuff (DVDs and posters) but I'm never going to part with them... but that's just me.

If you'd rather have the money, instead of looking at how much something is listed at, find out how much people are actually paying for it. If you decide to list it, be sure to cover your ass and put a lot of restrictions on bidding and purchasing. You want to attract collectors and not scammers.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most expensive disc i have ever heard about is Salo selling in the 600 dollar range. Most super duper rare dvds sell between 80-150.

just have to weigh what they are worth to you vs what you can get for them. I really doubt you will ever even see half of that 1500 price tag
Old 12-25-06, 11:58 AM
Banned

No, I didn't think I would get $1500, but I'd be very happy with even $50-$100/ea. I don't watch them anymore, especially since I have over 600 DVDs and BDs.

The thing I'm concerned about is listing them on eBay and people would miss them and end up selling them for like $10. But I suppose it's worth the risk to see what happens, it's only been sitting on my shelf for like 5yrs.
Old 12-25-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I look at getting rid of old rare DVDs as pretty simple. My theory is, if you have to question whether or not you want to keep a DVD, you don't really want it that much, so sell it.

I sell certain OOP DVDs of mine all the time. I just so The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover for $94 & Gargoyles an old TV movie I found used for $3, & got $52 for it on ebay. So don't worry about selling your stuf on ebay, there is always someone willing to shell out the $ for it.
Old 12-25-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The thing I'm concerned about is listing them on eBay and people would miss them and end up selling them for like $10. But I suppose it's worth the risk to see what happens, it's only been sitting on my shelf for like 5yrs.
have yu sold on ebay before?

you can set a minimum price it can sell for.
a reserve price.

if it doesnt reach that price the auction closes without a sale.
Old 12-25-06, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Just curious. I happen to have two OOP DVDs based on Terry Pratchet's Discworld books, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music NTSC R1.

Some genius listed Wyrd Sisters (unopened, although mine have been watched) on Half.com for $1500. I have no idea what kind of demand there is for them. Should I list both on eBay and let the chips fall where they may or is there a better way to sell rare discs such as these?
Look, Eric,
I don't normally do this, but it is the Holidays and you seem really burdened. I will send you my address and you can just give them to me. I won't charge you anything and will even pay the shipping. I don't like to see my fellow DVD-Talkers weighed down with such trying issues during this time.

You don't even have to thank me! Just be warmed in the comfort that they will go to a good home on the eventuality they sell for a small fortune.

So put your worries away and take care on this joyous Holiday season.
Old 12-25-06, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see what the completed items say.
bidding will take care of itself. or sell at a slightly higher buy it now price.
Old 12-25-06, 12:32 PM
Banned

Yes, I've sold on eBay before, I just don't know what minimum to set because I don't know what kind of demand there is. I hate reserves and they're pointless. I'll probably just set a $9.99 minimum and see what happens. They could be worth much less than I expect.

There are no completed items on eBay because these items never come up for sale (at least not recently). That's how rare they are. There are VHS versions from the UK, but no R1 NTSC DVDs.
Old 12-25-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD collectors are a crafty bunch. Somehow these items will reach market value on ebay.
Old 12-25-06, 12:56 PM
Banned

To see what a DVD is actually selling for, check the completed auctions for that title on Ebay. I have done that for years.

Edit: And now that I have read the post two above mine... In that case, I would list it on Ebay with a high reserve just to see how much interest there is in it. If that reserve is met, then bonus!
Old 12-25-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that if you want to offer a DVD that has sold for a lot in the past, no matter how recent, but you don't really see it listed anywhere at the present time, it is indeed possible that you wont get much for it on your own try. The Blockbuster version of Evil Dead is a good example of this. It goes for around $50 or more usually, but not always. I listed one and sold it for around $60 or so, then a week later I listed another one and it only brought in around $15, less than what I gave for it. My cousin lost money when he tried to sell one on eBay also.

If you list on eBay, it's a risk unless it's something that always demands a high final bid, and that happens with things that more than just the hardcore of the hardcore collector's are looking for.

Also, keep this last thought in mind. If you have something that would more than likely bring in a higher final bid at a certain time of the year, just hold off until that time. I know that's obvious, but never forget that. There are some things that even DVD collector's don't even look for unless it's around certain times of the year.

I also have my eBay account to where I do not accept bids from people with more than one retracted bids, feedback where it's in the negative, and I also have it where people can't bid at all unless they already have a PayPal account. I'll help you out if you want, just let me know.
Old 12-25-06, 03:24 PM

You should sell. Things like Salo will come out again (as Salo will in 07) sometimes with better transfers and features. I'm selling my dts laserdiscs because full bitrate audio will be available on bluray and hddvd. If it's something you like having and watch a lot, keep it. At this point, I'd sell. You can always set a reserve price. I've never said I wish I hadn't have sold that.
Old 12-25-06, 03:25 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by scott1598
Look, Eric,
I don't normally do this, but it is the Holidays and you seem really burdened. I will send you my address and you can just give them to me. I won't charge you anything and will even pay the shipping. I don't like to see my fellow DVD-Talkers weighed down with such trying issues during this time.
Old 12-25-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
this thread lead me to doing some oop research on ebay and i just saw orwell's 1984 fetching like $90 bucks plus.

I remember having an oppurtunity to pick that up as part of an MGM B1G1 free promotion not too many moons ago but pass it up in favor of some other dinky title instead.
Old 12-25-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want more $$$'s without taking to big of a risk on ebay, why not sell them at a fixed Buy It Now price that is acceptable to you and the buyer and the overall worth of the DVD and add a best offer option. That way you can take offers, decline them if they are not in your range, and still have a chance to get a buyer at your fixed price. So fees aside for listing, if you want to sell them and don't want them to go cheap, it's worth a shot.
Old 12-26-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

amazon is another option.

you set the price and there is no listing fee. but if the item sells, amazon's cut is a little steep.

even before that, research the dvds to see what a fair price is. and good luck
Old 12-27-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
You should sell. Things like Salo will come out again (as Salo will in 07) sometimes with better transfers and features. I'm selling my dts laserdiscs because full bitrate audio will be available on bluray and hddvd. If it's something you like having and watch a lot, keep it. At this point, I'd sell. You can always set a reserve price. I've never said I wish I hadn't have sold that.
Salo coming out again in 07?

Guess I should sell my copy soon...I've held on to it just to have that hole filled in my collection, but if I could get good money for a sealed, authentic Criterion disc, maybe I'll sell it off.
Old 12-27-06, 12:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake

Guess I should sell my copy soon...I've held on to it just to have that hole filled in my collection, but if I could get good money for a sealed, authentic Criterion disc, maybe I'll sell it off.
yes, it's been announced and discussed here.
better hurry in selling it. good luck.
Old 12-27-06, 01:07 PM

trouble with salo is you're probably better off opening it so buyers know its real. didnt all real ones come with a warning sticker on the shrinkwrap?
Old 12-27-06, 02:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake

It's only going for a couple hundred now so I'd keep it. They aren't making any more of the original ones so it's still a collector's item.

I have no qualms about keeping mine and I felt the same way with The 400 Blows.
Old 12-27-06, 02:44 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by X
The 400 Blows.
I have that movie as well, but shouldn't this discussion be moved to the Adult Talk section?

Ha! I kill me! Hey, if I'm gonna get suspended, it might as well be for a good reason, shouldn't it???
Old 12-27-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about donate them to the Guggenheim Museum.
Old 12-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this a bad time of year to sell anything? I'm pretty cash-poor right now, after the holidays.
Old 12-27-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still have a sealed Army of Darkness LE. Wonder if it's still worth anything?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.