Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 04:54 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danicus007
I've converted all of my snappers to thin cases. I either scan or download the image and then resize to thin case and print on the color laser at work. I used to use Staples because the quality was better but they cracked down with some copyright stuff. Even though I told them I own the movie and just wanted to change the case.
As you saw, they don't really believe people who say they aren't trying to make a copy, partially because I'm sure they get LOTS of people saying that who really are trying to make a copy, and also because they feel it's better to err on the side of caution. For what it's worth, making a copy of the cover art so you can keep it in a different case doesn't actually fall under "fair use", so that argument doesn't hold water anyway.

Not trying to piss on your world here, just making a clarification. I sympathize, believe me.
Old 12-18-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't feel like snappers mess up my DVD shelves-- they may jut out more than Amaray, but so does digipak-- but I do avoid buying them if I can. I was opening Pleasantville a while back, and as I peeled off the security stickers, large patches of artwork ripped away with it. I place strong value on the condition of the packaging, and always select the nicest possible-- so this was ruined. I have been wary of snappers ever since.

--THX
Old 12-19-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some of you would drop dead if you looked at my collection, I buy a lot of the Movie Gallery buy 2 get 2 free sale DVDs and there are stickers everywhere.
Old 12-19-06, 01:20 PM

No, that's absurd. I buy DVD's because I like the films, not because the packaging looks cool on my shelf.
Old 12-19-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
but I do avoid buying them if I can. I was opening Pleasantville a while back, and as I peeled off the security stickers, large patches of artwork ripped away with it. I place strong value on the condition of the packaging, and always select the nicest possible-- so this was ruined. I have been wary of snappers ever since.

--THX
I hate that too. Not a snapper, but I recently bought the Sesame Street Old School box set. The stupid thing came with a security seal on the top of the cardboard box, it wasn't even keeping anything secure, it was just affixed to the box. Anyway, I was as careful as I could be, and it still pealed off a lot of the art.
Old 11-26-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I have bought Altman's "The Player" from columbia house on three occassions. When it arrives, I think, "Oh yeah! I remember why I didn't keep this ... there has to be an edition with a real case coming out sometime soon."

Any truth to my thought? The movie's great, and if I knew a snapper was all I was ever going to get, I would keep it. Thanks!
Old 11-26-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nope.

I buy movies not cases. I have never cared what kind of package the movie comes in.
Old 11-26-07, 12:53 PM

I don't understand the position on the last page that the snapper case doesn't provide enough protection. Where the hell are you storing your DVDs that they need protection, in the flatbed of your truck?
Old 11-26-07, 12:55 PM

Ill buy a movie if its only available in a snapper case, better to have it than not at all. (I dont keep them in any special place in my collection either)

But I will replace if it gets re-released in different packaging.

Ona side note Im so glad that Twister is getting better treatment and I can finally get rid of that one. I also just saw that Goonies is now available so Ill be replacing it as well.
Old 11-26-07, 01:57 PM

I hate snappers, but it really doesn't stop me from buying a movie if that is the only available version. I like movies more than I dislike any type of case. Nor is a non-snapper version enough of a reason for me to double-dip unless the content has actually changed significantly. I will say however, that for any giving DVD, my maximum amount I will pay for it goes down a few dollars if it is in a snapper, so that has stopped me from buying a few movies I want just because I can't bring myself to pay $14.99 for a snapper.

I have about 60-70 snappers in my collection, so they have two shelves of their own and don't clash with the amarays and digipaks (which also are mostly separated).
Old 11-26-07, 02:15 PM
Banned

I've held out on some titles because they're only available in a snapper, and when several were re-released in keepcases, I took the plunge on a few I'd wanted but were low priorities because of the case. I also replaced a few snappers I already had, but there are times when I keep the snapper even after a SE comes out in a keepcase (2001, for example).
Old 11-26-07, 03:43 PM

I bought Streets Of Fire a while back, expecting the snapper case but not wanting to take the chance of it going out of print or being replaced with a crappy DC like what happened to The Warriors.
So I get the DVD and it's in a keepcase! Hot damn! Except the cover art looks like it's an unlicensed knock-off, nowhere near as cool as the snapper. I actually liked the snapper a lot better and wish I had received that one. Since then, the little buggers are starting to grow on me and I kinda like them.
Old 11-26-07, 03:48 PM

i dont really care, just as long as there not flippers. than i wont buy a movie at all. unless its a favorite that probly wont be issued a re-release anytime soon (under seige)
Old 11-26-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no fan of snappers but I don't mind buying them if they're cheap. I just picked up L.A. Confidential for basically nothing from Buy.com through Google Checkout (it was shipping filler) but the little thing that holds the disc in place is broken and I can't just replace this case since the cover is a piece of cardboard. I also am not going to bother sending this back.
Old 11-26-07, 07:02 PM
Cool New Member

I might be the only person on Earth who thinks this, but although the "sticking out" fact does suck (you just can't blend 'em in with the keepcases, got to have a different shelf for 'em), I always thought most snappers looked really nice, mant times even superior as the pre-packaged movies that come in those keepcases, you know, them plain ones.

Especially some of the New Line releases look really great to these eyes.
I'm thinking about releases like "Final Destination" with it's de-luxe metallic glossy cover (also on the back, even on the "fold-out" inside panels with all the pictures which were all "metalized" as well!) or "The Cell" with the "laminated" cover and the gold embossed lettering...

And I totally dig the "crack !" sound when you open them, it also "feels" fun doing that little job !
It's like opening a can of Ice-cold Coca Cola on a really hot summer day, a wonderful piece of foreplay before watching a possible favourite movie of choice. (ha ha)

People that say those snappers are so prone to damage, I don't know what you do with them, but all my snappers still look mighty fine, especially all the ones that came with a really nice glossy shiny finish (As some of you might remember, New Line always went the extra mile).

The paperwork/carton was/is always perfectly protected on the three sides. (top, right and bottom).
Like Gremlins snapper don't like water and bright light, but neither do your keepcases right ?
Just don't put 'em in the washing machine or take em to the beach and over time those babies will probably age much more gracefully than many of their owners will.

I still like the fact they always have/had a chapter list (aaaah, those good old days...) and nice movie pictures on the back of the frontpanel or how some of 'em had liner notes and/ or pictures and artwork if the snappers came with cool two or three-fold out panels...

By any means, all snappers are definitely less vulnerable than digi-packs, that rarely or never have any protection on their cases. Those suckers can be vulnerable, but snappers, not so much.

But in the end, it's all about what's on the disc that counts, but no, I've surely never hated the look or build of snappers at all.

Last edited by Elemental; 11-26-07 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Since snap cases are on their way out now, I'm actually MORE likely to pick up a low-priced title if it's in one, just so I'll have one as close to the original issue as possible. I was kinda bummed that Dumb & Dumber and a few other New Line titles have been changed to keepcases, even though they are better for the most part. The thing that sucks about Warner though is the snapcases always had chapter listings and stuff inside, while the keepcases usually don't have any inserts at all.
Old 11-27-07, 04:54 AM

As much as possible I try to avoid buying snappers. They make DVD movies look generic!
Old 11-27-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
I'm no fan of snappers but I don't mind buying them if they're cheap. I just picked up L.A. Confidential for basically nothing from Buy.com through Google Checkout (it was shipping filler) but the little thing that holds the disc in place is broken and I can't just replace this case since the cover is a piece of cardboard. I also am not going to bother sending this back.
actually i think you can buy replacement snapper cases and transfer the cardboard to it rather easily.
Old 11-27-07, 05:56 AM

I don't care for the snapper cases, but that doesn't prevent me from buying a movie I like that only comes in a snapper case. The only thing I have against them is that they look a little cheaper, but if I like the movie then it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 11-27-07, 07:39 AM
Cool New Member

All the dvds I bought in snapcase I have upgraded for a SE or bought a emty keepcase and print the cover.
Old 11-27-07, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JasonTHX
Here's what I've been doing with my Snapper Cases:

I Take them apart from the plastic DVD tray and I'll color photocopy them, then cut out the paper copy to fit a standard keep-case. Or you could just try cutting the cardboard cover to fit a keep-case but it really damages the cover very much.

So far i've converted:

Frantic
Superman: The Movie
Bonfire Of The Vanities
Mosquito Coast
Exorcist III
Mars Attacks
Roger And Me
On the day you see those DVD's on eBay going for big bucks because they are in the original snapper case, you will feel like you have just kicked yourself in the nuts. Trust me, there's no worse feeling.

You anger the DVD gods with your acts of snapper mutilation. Woe to you.
Old 11-27-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely not. I make my DVD purchasing decisions based on the quality of the film itself and the transfer only. Transfer takes precedent and possible supplemental features come into play when the purchase is in regard to double-dipping.
Old 11-27-07, 02:05 PM

Only thing that annoys me more than snappers are the dual-language covers in Canada.

I wouldn't care so much if the only site that accepts my Electron wasn't DVDBoxOffice, which is located in Canada, dammit...okay, there's loaded247 too, but I have no idea where they are and their selection sucks for the most part.

Could anyone point me to some Region 1-selling VbV-stores?

Last edited by Takeshi357; 11-27-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Elemental
People that say those snappers are so prone to damage, I don't know what you do with them, but all my snappers still look mighty fine, especially all the ones that came with a really nice glossy shiny finish ..
Why am I not surprised that there is a thread such as this. Don't get me wrong, I have gone out of the way to buy pretty cases for films (think Korean releases) but I buy strictly for the film itself .. best quality when possible.

As far as Elemental's quote .. I whole-heartedly agree. Out of all the titles that I purchased early on in my collection (beginning in 99) the snappers still look the best on the exterior. For whatever reason, there are no minor scuffs on or discoloring of the snappers. The amaray cases on the other hand show more of this - not many as I take very good care of my DVDs, but some.

I gave up on a uniform packaging look a long time ago.
Old 11-27-07, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, Sometimes, HAHA, but it depends. It didn't stop me from buying LA Confidental, but it's one of the reasons I still haven't picked up Excalibur yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.