DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486792-do-you-debate-buying-movie-based-if-its-snap-case.html)

PatrickMcCart 11-27-07 09:17 PM

I won't buy movies unless they're in a snapper. Sort of sucks that I haven't bought any DVDs in the last three years, but I know my holding out for the demise of keep cases will catch the studios attention.

(No.)

Dane Marvin 11-27-07 09:33 PM

There is no debate. Snapper = no sale. Luckily a lot of the stuff I would have bought in a snapper is getting an upgrade (ex: Twister) or at least getting an amaray case (ex: Goonies).

JOE29 11-27-07 09:45 PM

I'm not worried too much about the case. Although a good quality case would be best. I'm more worried about the quality of the movie. If it's been cut for whatever reason, widescreen is preferable. Good sound and picture quality. Special Features. That's what i'm more interested in.

Sparrow 11-27-07 09:49 PM

I haven't seen a snapper case in years or I should say that I haven't noticed any movie that I want in my collection in a snapper case.

I still have a few in my collection, but those are releases from the '90s or early '00.

If I did want a movie that was in a snapper case (since I haven't seen one in years), it would cause me to pause to ensure that there's not a more recent version of that movie on the market. However, the decision to buy a movie would not be based on the package type.

DeputyDave 11-27-07 09:52 PM

There was a time when snappers really bothered me. I spent loads of time finding and printing out custom covers in order to have an "all keep case" collection. I may have had, and replaced 30 something snappers. Then about three years ago I lost a majority of my collection to theft and maybe my priorities changed. I replaced most of my collection since then and it is almost double what it was. Maybe I just figured out it was the movie itself that was important, or maybe it's simply that there are so many odd ball shaped DVDs now (steel books, slip covers, box sets), but it doesn't seem to mater much anymore.

Moleman1138 11-27-07 11:00 PM

I waited 7 years for the Perfect Storm on DVD and finally they put it on Amaray. Now waiting on Clash of the Titans.

joliom 11-28-07 02:46 AM

In the old days I just bought whatever I wanted and concentrated on replacing them all with custom covers. But now that we're finally starting to see a bunch of the Warner snappers get reissued in standard keepcases, I'm avoiding snappers like the plague. Plus add to that the fact that it's been like 7-10 years since a lot of these old snappers were first released and you have to start wondering how long it's going to be before a new SE drops (especially for popular titles). I get really excited when I spot a new keepcase reissue at Wally World or BestBuy. When I first found The Perfect Storm and The Matrix I was psyched beyond belief (Yes, I am an easy man to please!)

darkhawk 11-28-07 04:48 AM

Got a whole bunch of WB, New Line and HBO to switch over

DVDA 11-28-07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
actually i think you can buy replacement snapper cases and transfer the cardboard to it rather easily.

I haven't seen anywhere to buy replacement snappers, but it is true that removing and replacing the covers is deceptively simple. I always thought they were glued in, and that the "rails" on the back were solid, but lo and behold, they snap open just like the front, and you can remove the cardboard cover art! :) I still don't like 'em, though.

DVDA 11-28-07 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
As far as Elemental's quote .. I whole-heartedly agree. Out of all the titles that I purchased early on in my collection (beginning in 99) the snappers still look the best on the exterior. For whatever reason, there are no minor scuffs on or discoloring of the snappers. The amaray cases on the other hand show more of this - not many as I take very good care of my DVDs, but some.

I gave up on a uniform packaging look a long time ago.

Well, uniform packaging is definitely a pipe dream, because even if you scan and print custom covers for Amaray cases, it's pretty difficult to get everything in a single-width case.

As for snapper artwork, it's true that scuffs on Amaray cases can dull the look of the cover insert, but with snappers the artwork is exposed to whatever dangers lurk in your media room or home theater. I'll take something that scuffs slightly but can be easily replaced over something that's permanently ruined easily any day.

haleyxvader 11-28-07 03:16 PM

On a side note:

My favorite snapper: SERIAL MOM

Abe. 11-28-07 03:39 PM

I like how snapper cases have artwork on all sides, as opposed to an amaray that doesn't include an insert.

JZ1276 11-28-07 05:50 PM

there are a couple of very good sites you can find that have high resolution cover art for MANY DVDs. If you have a descent printer and use matte photo paper, you cannot tell a difference between printed out art and studio art. I'd post the site I use but dont know if its allowed.

DVDA 11-29-07 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Abe.
I like how snapper cases have artwork on all sides, as opposed to an amaray that doesn't include an insert.

This isn't the norm, but clear keepcases with double-sided cover inserts give you about as much graphical real estate as a snapper... actually more.