DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486792-do-you-debate-buying-movie-based-if-its-snap-case.html)

bodomnet 12-16-06 05:32 AM

Wont buy snappers anymore, and slowly replacing any I have :)

filmfreak 12-16-06 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.

^ Yup

taffer 12-16-06 07:40 AM

I hate snappers, but I do not refuse to buy them just because they are snappers. You can buy empty Amaray cases. I buy them, scan the the snapper artwork on my PC, then replace it with the Amaray.

harpo787 12-16-06 08:22 AM

Hmm...I stopped buying snapper cases because the drawer I had been storing them ran out of room. I kept them stored separate from the rest, one because of how they look, and more importantly that they always seem to snag on to other DVDs.

I've thought about hunting down some custom jobs I think I've seen on here for whatever I could find....but just scanning the case, eh? Does that work out ok?

Mike Adams 12-16-06 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Five Cent Deposit
One that I've always been bummed about though is Oliver Stone's JFK. My dad got it for me off of Amazon a few years ago and immediately afterwards they put out a much nicer digipak type off case. The one I have has a second disc of extras in a sleeve, so annoying. Does anyone know if the discs are identical?

Not really. I believe all the bonus stuff from the snapper version was carried over to the Digipak, but there is at least one new featurette on the latest version.

Not that they're anywhere near as annoying as snappers, but we could start a whole new discussion on the annoyances of Digipaks. For example, am I the only one who hates it when they put a security device under a clear plastic tray in a Digipak, and you have to either see it every time you open the thing or pry it off, damaging the artwork underneath?

Mike Adams 12-16-06 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787
I've thought about hunting down some custom jobs I think I've seen on here for whatever I could find....but just scanning the case, eh? Does that work out ok?

There's some scaling required, so it's best done with Photoshop or similar software. You can't just scan the thing and print it out unless you're okay with cutting up the artwork. As should be obvious, snappers are slightly larger than keepcases.

Ginwen 12-16-06 05:11 PM

I don't like them much, but it's not enough to get me to not buy a movie just to avoid them. I keep them all in a separate shelving unit since they don't fit in well with all my other DVDs (not that they are the only ones, there are lots of inconsistent sized cases).

JasonTHX 12-16-06 05:20 PM

Here's what I've been doing with my Snapper Cases:

I Take them apart from the plastic DVD tray and I'll color photocopy them, then cut out the paper copy to fit a standard keep-case. Or you could just try cutting the cardboard cover to fit a keep-case but it really damages the cover very much.

So far i've converted:

Frantic
Superman: The Movie
Bonfire Of The Vanities
Mosquito Coast
Exorcist III
Mars Attacks
Roger And Me

printerati 12-16-06 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by renaldow
If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many people passed on Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie and the first pressing of This Island Earth because of the snapper case.

A snapper hub has broken on me once, and it was a bit of a chore to find a free replacement (whereas I get "free" keepcases in the mail at least once a month). Otherwise, I have never had a problem with them.

tbwmp88 12-16-06 06:04 PM

I hate snappers, but it won't stop me.

SterlingBen 12-16-06 06:16 PM

Yeah I've been wanting to see The Outlaw Josey Wales for like 2 years now but everytime I almost get it I can't b/c of snapper

dpz301 12-16-06 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Agreed. If you really want the movie, the case shouldn't be a concern.

same situation for me.

Buttmunker 12-17-06 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.

I know that, sooner or later, the snapper case version will be updated - studios are always trying to get consumers to re-buy products they've already bought.

I'm still holding off on The Goodbye Girl because of this.

Mike Adams 12-17-06 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I know that, sooner or later, the snapper case version will be updated - studios are always trying to get consumers to re-buy products they've already bought.

Sorry, I disagree. Studios are always wanting to make money. If a title was originally released in a snapper and didn't sell well, they're not likely to try again with a new package. You may get lucky with <i>The Goodbye Girl</i>, but to sit and wait because you <i>know</i> a new version is coming is foolish. There's no guarantee of anything in the consumer market, especially with DVDs.

There are people who keep waiting for movies they <i>know</i> will someday be released on DVD, but those same people were probably waiting for a Laserdisc release that never happened either. When a movie has already been released on DVD once, the chances of a double-dip are <b>very</b> slim. The people who justify that argument by pointing to the greed of studios don't seem to understand that studios are <b>so</b> greedy that unless there's reason to believe a title is actually going to sell well, there will be no re-release. I know it seems like every film known to man is getting the SE treatment lately, but whether it's packaging, content, aspect ratio, commentaries, or whatever, there is absolutely no guarantee that anything <i>will</i> be released, and anyone who feels sure of something like that is kidding themselves.

lordwow 12-17-06 12:35 PM

I do, but if I really love the movie and there's not other versions I suck it up.

Or if it's really cheap.

laseca 12-17-06 12:42 PM

I have about 50 snappers and hate how they mess up my collection since I organize alphabetically. I kept them together on a separate shelf but really wanted them with the keepsake cases.

Had one of those keepsakes from AOL that I destickered and thought I'd try an experiment. I took a snapper and carefully took it apart. The glued cardboard I split apart with a long sharp kitchen knife. The cardboard cover was all unfolded now. Cut off and trimmed the inside insert to fit on the inside left side of the keepsake case. Now in one piece lay the insert. I trimmed it on both ends to match the size of a normal insert and then the top and bottom. Needless to say it was a perfect fit! Ordered a 100-pack of blank DVD cases and converted the rest. Now my entire collection is free of snappers and my rack no longer has a "snapper" section.

The only drawback is that snapper cardboard insert is longer on the ends of a normal insert. When the ends are trimmed off, some text on the back side will go with it since its so close to the edge. Not a big deal to me but I'd rather have that than those ugly snappers in my collection.

Goldblum 12-17-06 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.

:up:

Mike Adams 12-17-06 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by laseca
I have about 50 snappers and hate how they mess up my collection since I organize alphabetically. I kept them together on a separate shelf but really wanted them with the keepsake cases.

:) It's just <b>keepcase</b>, not keepsake. Sounds like an ornament from Hallmark. ;)

Anyway, I agree with you, but it confounds me how many people complain that snappers "mess up" their collection, but then they describe in great detail how they've butchered the snappers to fit into a keepcase. Don't get me wrong, it's everybody's right to do this if they want, it just seems to fly in the face of the perfectionism that makes them do it in the first place.

Standard keepcases aren't really made to hold cardboard in the insert sleeve, so it's still gonna be weird compared to standard snappers, both visually and in how it feels. I just have a hard time reconciling the annoyance at cases that stick out too far on a shelf with the acceptance of covers that say things like "The Goodbye Gi" because you've trimmed them to fit a keepcase. That's an extreme example, but why bother keeping the case if you can no longer read the text on the back because the last two letters of each line are missing?

To each their own, it just seems funny to me.

renaldow 12-17-06 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Sorry, I disagree. Studios are always wanting to make money. If a title was originally released in a snapper and didn't sell well, they're not likely to try again with a new package. You may get lucky with <i>The Goodbye Girl</i>, but to sit and wait because you <i>know</i> a new version is coming is foolish. There's no guarantee of anything in the consumer market, especially with DVDs.

Agreed. While it seems like the studios are "always" double dipping, the amount of films double dipped is actually extremely low compared to the amount of films released. Waiting for a better version of anything, unless it's already been announced, is foolish.

Not all snappers are going to be replaced. Not all the films released in a snapper are worthy of a re-release. The popular ones will get keepcases on their next printing, but when you have bins filled with $5 "popular films" at places like Best Buy and WalMart, you don't know when or even if that next printing is going to happen. And, since apparently a lot of people aren't buying them since they're in a snapper, they'll never sell enough to warrant a re-release in a keepcase.

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Anyway, I agree with you, but it confounds me how many people complain that snappers "mess up" their collection, but then they describe in great detail how they've butchered the snappers to fit into a keepcase. Don't get me wrong, it's everybody's right to do this if they want, it just seems to fly in the face of the perfectionism that makes them do it in the first place.

:lol:
Yeah, I've always found that kind of funny, too. I guess OCD effects people differently. ;)

Brian Shannon 12-17-06 01:42 PM

I buy a dvd for the movie content. I dont care what kind of case it is in.

thursdaynighter 12-17-06 02:10 PM

They do look cheap and provide less protection, but I do like the increased artwork on the inside cover (especially since inserts are so sparse these days).

Sabrett 12-17-06 05:34 PM

I don't like snappers, but I would never try to covert it by cutting it up. To me, cutting off text on the back cover of one of my DVDs is SO much worse than it sticking out a little further on the shelf. I keep my snappers together on my shelf, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Simpson Purist 12-17-06 10:12 PM

I don't judge a movie by its cover or packaging, it's what inside that counts.

Then again, snap cases are pretty annoying.

danicus007 12-18-06 04:06 PM

I've converted all of my snappers to thin cases. I either scan or download the image and then resize to thin case and print on the color laser at work. I used to use Staples because the quality was better but they cracked down with some copyright stuff. Even though I told them I own the movie and just wanted to change the case.

Duh Vuh Duh 12-18-06 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by grem458
I wish Warner Bros. did that. I just got the SE of Christmas Vacation in the mail last week and was surprised it was in a snapper case.

Me too, this happened with Dark City also, which I ordered recently and both show they are keep cases now on dvdcompare. Looks like I may have to track down the keepcases and exchange.