DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Alexander Revisited: The Unrated Final Cut -- Due 2/27/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486781-alexander-revisited-unrated-final-cut-due-2-27-07-a.html)

Patrick Mirza 12-15-06 05:12 PM

Alexander Revisited: The Unrated Final Cut -- Due 2/27/07

Warner Home Video will release Alexander Revisited: The Unrated Final Cut on February 27th, 2007.

Director Oliver Stone's epic arrives in its third incarnation featuring more than forty-five minutes of never-before-seen footage restored into the tale of the Macedonian conqueror. The film, now clocking in at nearly four hours, will arrive with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track. Aside from a free movie ticket to "300," no extras seem to be included in this edition. Retail is $24.98.

larry b 12-15-06 05:31 PM

Bring it on! I can't get enough of this movie. Oliver Stone masterpiece!

TheMovieman 12-15-06 05:35 PM

Now all I've got to figure out is which is cheaper: Sleeping pills or this borefest that was already terrible at three hours...

dcprules 12-15-06 05:39 PM

I know I'm in the minority here but I find Alexander to be a fascinating and extremely entertaining movie. Sure, it's kind of a mess but it does have two awesome battle scenes. The free ticket to 300 really clinches the deal. Now let's just hope it comes out in HD!

Geofferson 12-15-06 05:45 PM

I still haven't seen this movie, so I may as well wait for this final edition before checking it out (cool that it has a ticket to 300 included).

TomOpus 12-15-06 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Now all I've got to figure out is which is cheaper: Sleeping pills or this borefest that was already terrible at three hours...

:crap:

animatedude 12-15-06 06:06 PM

awsome.

tofferman 12-15-06 06:37 PM

I had trouble finishing this movie when I rented it so maybe the additional 45 minutes will make it a better movie. Therefore, I'll await reviews first before committing.

Cameron 12-15-06 06:53 PM

this film seems to have made Stone mad beyone belief...he just won't accept that a majority of people either think its mediocre to bad.

animatedude 12-15-06 07:00 PM

trust me, i think the majority LOVE this movie.it just that they don't admit it.

Subgeniusguy 12-15-06 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
this film seems to have made Stone mad beyone belief...he just won't accept that a majority of people either think its mediocre to bad.

Seems like he dislikes the film the most since he keeps trying to fix it.

Wick 12-15-06 07:48 PM

The Director's Cut was terrible. I wonder if the movie could even be improved upon with an Extended Unrated Cut. Maybe if it was edited in a way that actually made sense.

Everyone should just avoid this DVD and buy World Trade Center instead. It's much better.

GoldenJCJ 12-15-06 08:01 PM

Paging GLENDALEFALCON....

I'll hold out for the reviews though I'm not expecting too much. The best case scenerio is that this'll turn out to be the next Kingdom of Heaven...turning a mediocre film into a masterpiece. Though, what are the odds?

chase3001 12-15-06 08:07 PM

Let's also hope for more Rosario Dawson in brilliant HD.

Artman 12-15-06 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dcprules
I know I'm in the minority here but I find Alexander to be a fascinating and extremely entertaining movie. The free ticket to 300 really clinches the deal.

Same!

tonymontana313 12-15-06 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by chase3001
Let's also hope for more Rosario Dawson in brilliant HD.

That would be the one and only reason to buy this!

dx23 12-15-06 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Paging GLENDALEFALCON....

I was thinking the same thing. I started a thread a while ago about this DVD with the info the IMDB provided and remember GLENDALEFALCON being pretty agresive to any criticism or comment that he may have percieved homophobic.

Mr. Cinema 12-15-06 08:47 PM

Warners releases this box office bomb in a 3rd version, yet titles like Beetlejuice continue to get overlooked for a proper special edition release. I just don't understand. I'm not hearing a large cry from fans wanting more Alexander.

GoldenJCJ 12-15-06 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I was thinking the same thing. I started a thread a while ago about this DVD with the info the IMDB provided and remember GLENDALEFALCON being pretty agresive to any criticism or comment that he may have percieved homophobic.

Strangely enough I don't think I've ever seen him post in any other thread before or since.

JOE29 12-15-06 10:10 PM

I'll double dip on this. I didn't think it was a great movie, but to have the complete version should be good. If you're going to have the dvd, and I do, might as well have the complete dvd movie. Hopefully they'll be some good historical extra features on it also that i'm looking forward to, if there is any.

Josh-da-man 12-15-06 11:01 PM

More Rosario Dawson nudity would be the only reason for me to get this, too. :lol:

I have the theatrical cut, and it's not a great movie, but it's not nearly as awful as its reputation would lead one to believe. (The Director's Cut, on the other hand...)

pro-bassoonist 12-16-06 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron

The problem is that in this country EVERY Oliver Stone film comes with a large political baggage...due to the director's outspoken style. Hence many see his films with a preliminary formed opinion.

I am also not so sure where you get your news from but I am most certainly unfamiliar with the majority you speak of. In America Alexander was doomed way before it screened.

Finally, for what its worth I believe that it is not just a good film, it is a great one!

However, I think that a majority, a different one mind you, of people just don't get it!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Cameron 12-16-06 01:12 AM

I totally agree with that. When I speak of "majority" I speak of the critics both credited, and across the net that had such harsh feelings about it that Stone himself lashed out, and recut the film in the first place.

It just amazes me that a director as notable as Stone would recut his film "which he had final cut on it the first place" not once, but twice. It just seems like he was looking for everyone to love it, and when they didn't he just couldn't understand.

I have yet to see the film, as it didn't interest me initially. However after all the hub-bub over the diffrent cuts, i wanted to watch both, just waited for it to be more affordable....looks like I now have a third cut to mull over.

Stone, has never been a sure thing in my book. He has made some wonderful films, mediocre films, and awful films. I missed this one, and skipped WTC "as well as United 93" as I am not ready to relive those thoughts and feelings. However I always look forward to hearing what he is doing, and what cospiricy theory he has about the whole thing.

JACOB 12-16-06 01:43 AM

that was the most surprising thing about world trade center. it was not very political at all. if fact when you are watching this movie.. you would not have thought that stone had directed the movie.

Jacob

fryinpan1 12-16-06 08:36 AM

I liked the director's cut, but I thought the theatrical cut was much better. I am looking forward to this final release, and I hope it gets a quick HD release too.