DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Criterion The Third Man OOP??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486749-criterion-third-man-oop.html)

flyboy 12-15-06 12:35 PM

Criterion The Third Man OOP???

I have been out of the loop for abit......

I was on Criterion's website and it does not show "The Third Man" as being out of print but all the stores are out of stock and ebay sellers have it listed as "OOP". Did this go out of print and if so when?

Thanks

Cameron 12-15-06 12:44 PM

i think i heard they were going to release a new windowbox transfer...

ChristianB 12-15-06 01:51 PM

Reissue coming in early 2007 :D Can't wait...

dick_grayson 12-15-06 01:54 PM

yeah, sell it now before the new one comes out

flyboy 12-15-06 02:03 PM

That's cool, was it announced somewhere?

OldBoy 12-15-06 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianB
Reissue coming in early 2007 :D Can't wait...

r u serious? i just tracked this down because i love it so and thought it was OOP. glad i only paid retail.

Rypro 525 12-16-06 01:59 PM

unless they plan on doing another restoration (there are still a few hairs, and print damage on the current dvd) and add more extras, I'll hold onto my old version.

Harry Lime 12-17-06 03:28 AM

You guys know im looking forward to the reissue!!!!!!!!!

pbishop69 12-17-06 05:20 AM

I haven't read about this reissue anywhere. Did thedigitalbits.com or davisdvd.com have a write up on this? If so, I missed it.

KC

flyboy 12-17-06 07:10 AM

Yeah I am still trying to find out if this is really OOP or not. And is it has been announced that a reissue is in the works. I would like to pick this up but do not want to pay 50 bucks if another release is coming.

Lemdog 12-17-06 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by flyboy
Yeah I am still trying to find out if this is really OOP or not.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=384

sunnyday04 02-14-07 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by flyboy
Yeah I am still trying to find out if this is really OOP or not. And is it has been announced that a reissue is in the works. I would like to pick this up but do not want to pay 50 bucks if another release is coming.

I have heard that it's re-releasing in May, but as everyone knows things are liable to change. However, amazon.com appears to have new copies for regular price (29.99) as of February 14th. I'd say it's probably worth that.

darkside 02-14-07 12:40 PM

This is one of my favorites. It always seems like they rerelease the Criterions I already own, but I will double dip if the upgrade is worth it.

g 02-14-07 06:12 PM

Columbia house used to have this and still might as I havent checked lately.

fryinpan1 02-14-07 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by g
Columbia house used to have this and still might as I havent checked lately.

CH does not have it any more.

Zodiac_Speaking 02-15-07 12:41 PM

I'll hold onto my release, and will only upgrade if the new CC is better, ala Seven Samurai or Brazi reissues.

Plus, I just bought this a month ago... :(

bgmat58 02-17-07 02:11 AM

never seen the movie but will be picking this up come may. the seven samurai is my only double dip thus far.

Al_Tahoe 02-17-07 03:37 AM

New release date is May 22nd.

- 2 Disc Set
- New High Def. Transfer
- Audio Commentary
- 90 Min. 'Making-of' Documentary
- More

Crap, I was hoping not to double dip on this one... but I know I won't have the willpower not to.

More details here.

TomOpus 02-17-07 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Crap, I was hoping not to double dip on this one... but I know I won't have the willpower not to.

More details here.

I know the feeling. Looks like a nice set, though.

basaro 02-17-07 07:08 AM

Sounds like some nice new extras, if I didn't already have the current release, I'd be all over it. Highly recommended for anyone who does not already have it.

ChrisP 02-17-07 12:08 PM

TCM ran the Shadowing The Third Man documentary a year or so ago. It was fantastic! While discussing the movie, they would go to locations in Vienna and project the film onto buildings and sewer walls. I've been wanting a copy of this, so a double dip for me, please.

OldBoy 02-23-07 07:58 PM

1. what exactly are the different extras on the new version as opposed to the old?
2. this is still non-anamorphic, correct?

Mr. Salty 02-23-07 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
2. this is still non-anamorphic, correct?

"The Third Man" was made in 1949 and is therefore not in widescreen. Anamorphic enhancement is not an issue.

Spiral Staircase 02-24-07 10:35 AM

Criterion updated the specs for the The Third Man Reissue and added even more features. I did not care for the Shadowing the Third Man documentary when it aired on TCM, but the addition of two more docs and a second commentary now make this a must re-buy for me.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
#
Two audio commentaries: one by filmmaker Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Tony Gilroy, and one by film scholar Dana Polan
#
Shadowing "The Third Man", a ninety-minute 2005 feature documentary on the making of the film
#
Abridged recording of Graham Greene’s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
#
"Graham Greene: The Hunted Man," an hour-long, 1968 episode of the BBC's Omnibus series, featuring a rare interview with the novelist
#
Who Was the Third Man? (2000), a thirty-minute German documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
#
The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
#
Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
#
Actor Joseph Cotten’s alternate opening voice-over narration for the U.S. version
#
Archival footage and photos of postwar Vienna
#
A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
#
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr

Skoobooz 02-24-07 11:35 AM

Wow! That's impressive. I can't wait to get this.