DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anchor Bay Special Editions: Phantasm ---> 4-10-07 and Re-Animator ---> 3-20-07

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/757/757444p1.html

Re-Animator Specs:

• Brand-new remastered transfer, approved by director Stuart Gordon
• Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1), enhanced by 16x9 televisions
• Remastered Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 sound
• Audio Commentary with Director Stuart Gordon
• Audio Commentary with Producer Brian Yuzna and Actors Bruce Abbott, Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton and Robert Sampson
• All-New 70-minute featurette: “Re-Animator Resurrectus” featuring interviews with Director Stuart Gordon, Producer Brian Yuzna, Writer Dennis Paoli, Composer Richard Band and Fangoria Magazine editor Tony Timpone, Actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Carolyn Purdy-Gordon and Robert Sampson
• Music Discussion with Composer Richard Band
• Deleted and Extended Scenes
• Theatrical trailer
• TV Spots
• New Production Stills from Brian Yuzna’s private collection
• New Behind-The-Scenes, Posters & Advertising, Storyboard and Fun-On-The-Set galleries
• Stuart Gordon Bio
• Screenplay (DVD-ROM)
• “Herbert West, Reanimator” by H.P. Lovecraft (DVD-ROM)
Re-Animator green pen

Re-Animator Cover Art

Phantasm Specs:

* Audio Commentary with Director Don Coscarelli & Actors Michael Baldwin, Bill Thornbury & Angus Scrimm
* Deleted Scenes
* 2005 Documentary Phantasmagoria
* Behind the Scenes & Actors Having A Ball Featuettes
* 1979 Promotional Interviews
* 1989 Angus Scrimm Convetion Apperance
* Trailers & TV Spots & 1988 Fangoria TV Commerical

http://horrormovies.ca/horror_7528.html

Phantasm III Specs:

* Audio Commentary by stars Michael Baldwin & Angus Scrimm
* Phantasm III: Behind the scenes featurette
* Deleted Scene
* Phantasm & Phantasm III trailer
* DVD-Rom Screenplay

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_7467.html

Original link about Re-Animator and Phantasm:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_7060.html

Last edited by alfonsosoriano; 02-20-07 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-13-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great! I'll definitely buy both, but I thought Re-animator already had a pretty good SE. wasn't there a Millenium Edition or something that was 2 discs?
Old 12-13-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Great! I'll definitely buy both, but I thought Re-animator already had a pretty good SE. wasn't there a Millenium Edition or something that was 2 discs?
Yep, I've had it for long time now. Here is what's on it:

DISC 1
*The Film
Audio commentary by Director Stuart Gordon
Audio commentary by Producer Brian Yuzna with cast members Jeffrey Combs, Robert Sampson, Barbara Crampton and Bruce Abbott
Isolated Music Score (DD5.1)

DISC 2
16 Extended Scenes (23:06)
1 Deleted Scene (2:40)
Video Interviews:
- Director Stuart Gordon and Producer Brian Yuzna (48:44)
- Writer Denis Paoli (10:40)
- Composer Richard Band (14:42)
- Fangoria Editor Tony Timpone (4:34)
Multi-Angle Storyboards (for 3 Scenes) (4:52)
Music Discussion with Composer Richard Band on 4 Scenes (5:59 of Discussion, 10:26 of Clips)
Cast & Crew Biographies and Filmographies
Theatrical Trailer (1:57)
Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery
5 TV Spots (2:36)
I already have the R2 Phantasm Sphere set as well, so it'll be interesting to see what they stick on the R1 version of a new Phantasm release.
Old 12-13-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Re-Animator ? I'll pass, unless it comes with a glowing green test-tube and a dead cat.
Old 12-13-06, 11:16 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the article:

As for RE-ANIMATOR, they recorded a pair of new audio commentaries: one by writer/director Stuart Gordon, and the other with producer Brian Yuzna and actors Bruce Abbott, Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton and Robert Sampson.
They've recorded two new commentaries with exactly the same two groups of people on the Elite DVD's two commentaries? That's seems weird. I wonder if there really is new commentaries, or if the article is incorrect, and they ported the tracks over from the Elite edition.

I don't have Phantasm, so I'll probably be picking that one up.
Old 12-14-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope to GOD that Phantasm is finally anamorphic.
Old 12-14-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good news on Phantasm. Re-Animator is great for everyone who doesn't have it, but the last dvd was so packed its going to be hard to beat.
Old 12-14-06, 06:57 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
PHANTASM yeeeeesss!!! Another non-anamorphic title down!
Old 12-14-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm down for Phantasm 1 & 3 (now if they would just release 2), and I'll probably just stick to the Millenium Edition for Re-Animator.
Old 12-14-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, it'll be hard to beat the Sphere though. It is one of the crown jewels of my collection.
Old 12-14-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah redoing that Millenium 2 disc from Image will be hard to top. Phantasm needs a good transfer.
Old 12-14-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wish (hope) they could release that Phantasm Region 2 sphere collection here in Region 1, as it always looked really cool. I still need legit copies of Phantasm 2 and 3, too. Kinda surpised Universal never issued a Region 1 release of 2 - but as it looks like Anchor Bay could possibly do so sometime in the near future, I'll be happy
Old 12-14-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That Re-Animator disc is going to need a stunning transfer to get me to bite... The ME is damn solid. Hmmm, a quick search shows that it's OOP. Guess that's good news for those who missed out on the Elite.
Old 12-14-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No sale. Where's the HD-DVD?
Old 12-14-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bout time for Phantasm. Been holding off forever it seems. Cant wait. Dont have ReAnimator either so thats a buy for me as well.
Old 12-14-06, 01:12 PM

Only way I'd get Phantasm is if it is the sphere, just for the pure radness of that packaging. I got the Re-Animator ME and it rules so I'll probably stick with it.
Old 12-14-06, 01:37 PM

I think I'll also hang on to my Re-Animator ME. Will definitely be buying Phantasm though.
Old 12-14-06, 01:52 PM

This would be my third Re-Animator dip (after the 2 Elite Editions).
I would be psyched if they included the R rated cut as well, which I actually prefer over the unrated.

The unrated cut is 86 min, while the R- rated cut is 95 min.
I like the R rated better because it includes almost all the deleted scenes incorporated into the film (hence the longer run time) and only trims very minimal amounts of gore, just a few seconds here and there. The deleted scenes really flesh out the characters, and the plot actually makes more sense. For example, the whole Dr. Hill hypnotism sub plot is missing from the unrated cut.
My R rated Reanimator is the only VHS I have left to replace with DVD, here's hoping...
Old 12-14-06, 02:44 PM

I would looooove having the silver sphere in my collection but honest and truely how many times has a distributing company actually had a box set redone exactly the same for a region one market?
Old 12-14-06, 03:25 PM

Does this mean that Anchor Bay has been able to license part of the MGM library via their Fox agreement? Or has Phantasm fallen out of MGM's control since they published their DVD?

Since I've got both the MGM SE and the AB UK sphere, I'm not interested in the new disk (nor am I interested in another Re-Animator.) If this means that AB has access to more obscure gems from the MGM catalog, it might result in more cool AB special editions like back around the turn of the century.

Those were different times...

But I'm still annoyed that the new Wenders box includes the old Wenders box.
Old 12-14-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by horroru
I like the R rated better because it includes almost all the deleted scenes incorporated into the film (hence the longer run time) and only trims very minimal amounts of gore, just a few seconds here and there.
Um,I own the R rated version on VHS myself(for curiousity sake) and the gore is not 'minimal trims',but huge chunks. The finale of the film for example which is so many minutes long,is over in under 2 minutes now with all the gore completely missing. There are plenty of jump cuts that are jaring and make the sequence incoherent since lots of material is missing.

Also the humor is destroyed in the R cut,since all the gore is deleted,and the deleted scenes additions slow the pace to a crawl and makes the film snail along. It feels more like a rough cut than a true cut of the film. Especially with how the deleted scenes play out in full in that version(notice Dan getting the 'roll camera/action!" cue when he meets with the Dean) and that doesn't make the film flow well.

I wouldn't be against them including the R rated version as an alternate cut completist option,since it is apart of the films history. But it is not a 'superior' version of the film by a long shot.

Some of the deleted scenes are good,but still need some trimming to flow well with the rest of the film(the dinner sequence with the hyno subplot goes on forever,when it could have been trimmed significantly).

Anyway,I am happy with the news on the rereleases. Since we need a 16.9 Phantasm in R1,and hopefully Re-animator will include captions this time unlike the Elite dvds. And they both better retain their original mono soundtracks or else,there will be hell to pay!
Old 12-14-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
PHANTASM yeeeeesss!!! Another non-anamorphic title down!
I'll reserve judgment until it is actually released. I've lost count of how many re-issues of films have been botched.
Old 12-14-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm interested in Phantasm but the Re-Animator re-release sounds kinda pointless.
Old 12-14-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by horroru
This would be my third Re-Animator dip (after the 2 Elite Editions).
I would be psyched if they included the R rated cut as well, which I actually prefer over the unrated.

I like the R rated better because it includes almost all the deleted scenes incorporated into the film (hence the longer run time) and only trims very minimal amounts of gore, just a few seconds here and there. The deleted scenes really flesh out the characters, and the plot actually makes more sense. For example, the whole Dr. Hill hypnotism sub plot is missing from the unrated cut.
My R rated Reanimator is the only VHS I have left to replace with DVD, here's hoping...

I've never seen the R rated version, but I agree that the deleted scene that establishes the hypnotism/mind control angle with Dr. Hill makes a lot of the subsequent events fall into line more neatly.
Old 12-14-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by theWitcher
Does this mean that Anchor Bay has been able to license part of the MGM library via their Fox agreement? Or has Phantasm fallen out of MGM's control since they published their DVD?
It's an Avco-Embassy film so MGM should still own it. It's part of the AIP/Avco-Embassy/Orion library. This may have something to do with Fox distributing MGM/UA titles. Fox licenses some of their horror and others to AB maybe the Midnight Movies will continue from AB?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.