Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anchor Bay Special Editions: Phantasm // 4-10-07 and Re-Animator // 3-20-07

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anchor Bay Special Editions: Phantasm // 4-10-07 and Re-Animator // 3-20-07

Old 12-14-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like others have said on this thread, the Re-Animator 2-disc by Elite will be tough to top. Phantasm is another story. If it finally ends up with an anamorphic transfer that is good, then great. I'll await reviews first for both new releases.
Old 12-14-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed my original Phantasm dvd, watched it and re-watched it many times, will this new one be any better? I'd hate to give up my current release for something that's not up to par.
Old 12-14-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I expect something awesome from anchor bay on Phantasm. They did a great job on Coscarelli's Beastmaster. So I think they will come thru.
Old 12-14-06, 08:24 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by JOE29
I enjoyed my original Phantasm dvd, watched it and re-watched it many times, will this new one be any better? I'd hate to give up my current release for something that's not up to par.
Funny, I would think most people would say the original PHANTASM DVD isn't up to par.
Old 12-14-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody heard anything about Anchor Bay possibly releasing a Phantasm III SE the same day as Phantasm? Another site has it listed but I don't see any info anywhere confirming this.
Old 12-14-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
It's an Avco-Embassy film so MGM should still own it. It's part of the AIP/Avco-Embassy/Orion library. This may have something to do with Fox distributing MGM/UA titles. Fox licenses some of their horror and others to AB maybe the Midnight Movies will continue from AB?
Avco Embassy's license for PHANTASM expired, so it went back to Don Coscalleli. Which is why the MGM DVD went OOP.
Old 12-15-06, 03:22 PM

Blahh more Anchor Bay interlaced releases I'm sure.
Old 12-15-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Has anybody heard anything about Anchor Bay possibly releasing a Phantasm III SE the same day as Phantasm? Another site has it listed but I don't see any info anywhere confirming this.
It was mentioned in the news piece posted in this thread.
Old 12-16-06, 03:13 AM

Regarding the SE of Re-Animator: there was a crew filming at the H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, OR this past October, interviewing the guests and attendees. When I asked what they were filming, I was told that they were doing a documentary on Lovecraft for an Anchor Bay DVD extra. Personally I hope that this ends up on the Director's Cut of From Beyond (which should be ought in Spring of 2007 according to my sources, but hey! entropy always increases [nerd way of saying "Shit Happens"]), as I am very happy with my Millenium edition.

Best,
Scott
Old 12-16-06, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by salamander2
Avco Embassy's license for PHANTASM expired, so it went back to Don Coscalleli. Which is why the MGM DVD went OOP.
Ah, well. I was hoping this might signal the possibility of cool SEs of cult-y type stuff from MGM's vault that has thus far been neglected. Since I can't really think of anything in particular, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

I was pretty sure that Sony would never license the stuff, but I was hoping that AB might have an "in" via the Fox license since Fox is currently distributing the catalog.

Spoiler:
And I was secretly wondering if Criterion might be able to get its hands on the MGM catalog as well, since they've got some sort of license with Fox.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-16-06, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Um,I own the R rated version on VHS myself(for curiousity sake) and the gore is not 'minimal trims',but huge chunks. The finale of the film for example which is so many minutes long,is over in under 2 minutes now with all the gore completely missing. There are plenty of jump cuts that are jaring and make the sequence incoherent since lots of material is missing.

Also the humor is destroyed in the R cut,since all the gore is deleted,and the deleted scenes additions slow the pace to a crawl and makes the film snail along. It feels more like a rough cut than a true cut of the film. Especially with how the deleted scenes play out in full in that version(notice Dan getting the 'roll camera/action!" cue when he meets with the Dean) and that doesn't make the film flow well.

I wouldn't be against them including the R rated version as an alternate cut completist option,since it is apart of the films history. But it is not a 'superior' version of the film by a long shot.

Some of the deleted scenes are good,but still need some trimming to flow well with the rest of the film(the dinner sequence with the hyno subplot goes on forever,when it could have been trimmed significantly).
Taken to task by Julie Walker, now I know I've finally arrived!

All good points -- I haven't watched Re-Animator for a good 5 years, so maybe I'm romaticizing the R cut? I remember really liking the inclusion of the cut scenes, and don't remember them slowing the pace or affecting the humor of the movie, but I'll watch both versions soon to compare.

Never noticed Dan getting the cue, that's pretty funny!
Old 12-16-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theWitcher
Spoiler:
And I was secretly wondering if Criterion might be able to get its hands on the MGM catalog as well, since they've got some sort of license with Fox.

Thanks for the info.
that would be nice if only to have all those mgm titles that are OOP re-issued. Like Sid & Nancy, How To Get Ahead in Advertising, Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, This Is Spinal Tap etc.
Old 12-16-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by horroru
This would be my third Re-Animator dip (after the 2 Elite Editions).
I would be psyched if they included the R rated cut as well, which I actually prefer over the unrated.
hoping...
I like the R cut better too. I grew up on the R VHS and was stoked when I got my first Unrated version only to be extreamly dissapointed by the cuts. I went so far as to rip the whole dvd to my comp and edit those scenes back in so I could actually enjoy the movie and feel ok showing it to people.

I am personally a gore hound but I've really grown attached to those other scenes and they dispell some plot holes created in the UR cut.

So I won't be getting Re-Animator again unless they finally match my 101min cut
Old 12-16-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just sold a copy of Phantasm for $31.00 so I am happy about that.
Old 12-17-06, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I like the R cut better too. I grew up on the R VHS and was stoked when I got my first Unrated version only to be extreamly dissapointed by the cuts. I went so far as to rip the whole dvd to my comp and edit those scenes back in so I could actually enjoy the movie and feel ok showing it to people.

I am personally a gore hound but I've really grown attached to those other scenes and they dispell some plot holes created in the UR cut.

So I won't be getting Re-Animator again unless they finally match my 101min cut
OK, so despite Julie's opinion, I'm not completely insane with my opinion
I too grew up on the R rated, which is probably why I like it so much.

Julie does bring up some great points re: R rated vs Unrated, so editing those scenes into the Unrated cut is brilliant -- as a fan, that for me would be the ultimate cut of the film, even if Stuart Gordon didn't approve it!
Old 12-17-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

horroru, I was going to respond to you but you have your account set up not to recieve e-mails

Also In responce to Julien I really liked that trippy hypno subplot

Last edited by SterlingBen; 12-17-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I have Re-Animator already. Phantasm is a definite though.
Old 12-21-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all over a 16x9 Phantasm. That's one of a few in my collection like The Abyss where the DVD is great if only it were anamorphic. As for Re-Animator, I'll double-dip if they top the 2-Disc Elite. It'd be cool beyond belief it included 3 separate cuts of the film: R-rated, Unrated, and an Extended Cut with all the extra scenes and gore together.
Old 01-06-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump
Old 01-06-07, 04:10 PM

I did a search for the Millenium Edition of Re-Animator and evidently there are two versions of it, one released in 2002 and one released in 2004 (overall I found three versions of the film released on DVD). What is the difference, i.e. which one do I want to buy--2002 or 2004?
Old 01-06-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They're both the same,just a price adjustment from what I'm aware of.
Old 01-06-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good news on the re-release on Phantasm R1. I have to side with most posters here that Re-Animator has already been done up first class. As an owner of the R2 Phantasm Sphere set, let me say the case looks better in pictures than in person. The plastic is very thin and you have to slide the two prongs into slots on the lid. It really is pretty cheap looking. It would be very easy for Anchor Bay to do a better job on the casing if they were to decide to take that approach.
Old 01-06-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
They're both the same,just a price adjustment from what I'm aware of.
yah, it went OOP for a few months and was re-released at a lower price point. Nothing at all changed on the disc/cover though.

oddly enough i have seen copies of the green box millenium edition popping up new after xmas...
Old 01-06-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
yah, it went OOP for a few months and was re-released at a lower price point. Nothing at all changed on the disc/cover though.

oddly enough i have seen copies of the green box millenium edition popping up new after xmas...
I actually saw a couple in my travels today, at Borders and Circuit City. It was surprising since I thought it has been OOP for awhile.

Don't think I'll bite on the new release, I'm happy with the ME.
Old 01-09-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cover art has been revealed for Re-Animator, it's in the original post, or can be seen here:

http://horrormovies.ca/horror_7238.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.