DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny - 2/27!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486449-tenacious-d-pick-destiny-2-27-a.html)

dvdman47 12-12-06 07:06 PM

Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny - 2/27!!!

From the Video Business enewsletter Just Announced:

Jack Black and Kyle Gass star in this $7.4 million-grossing film about their rock ‘n’ roll band, Tenacious D. Bonuses: commentary, deleted and extended scenes, featurettes, making-of documentary, music video.
That should be a lot of fun...I can't wait to see the deleted scenes. They should make this a 2-discer and include a video of a concert from their current Pick of Destiny tour!

dsa_shea 12-12-06 07:31 PM

I will Pick this one up when its released. Looking forward to the 30+ minutes of cut scenes.

animatedude 12-13-06 05:55 AM

old.

Tenacious D(VD) Details

still can't get over the fact that the movie bombed.

Tenacious D 12-13-06 06:20 AM

I didn't see a release date in the IGN article. So, not everything was old. I'll definitely be picking this up.

NiCK Crush 12-13-06 07:20 AM

that DVD does look like its going to rock. definitely picking that up.

-NiCK

rexinnih 12-13-06 09:20 AM

That was fast.

Cameron 12-13-06 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude

How much was the budget?

Tenacious D 12-14-06 09:30 AM

I'm not sure of the budget, but doing some quick checking it doesn't look good. In less than 3 weeks it dropped from 1,919 theaters to 338. The total box office gross thus far is just over $8 million. At this point, I think their only hope is DVD sales. I guess I wouldn't expect another Tenacious D movie anytime soon.

im_ryandick 12-14-06 09:45 AM

this will most likely be HD DVD too.
and i love the d.
but unfortunately never got around to seeing it.

[edit: whoops, meant blu-ray.]

Seantn 12-14-06 10:54 AM

Just watch the trailer, it'll help you understand why.

That's not a threadcrap. What I mean is that while I understand that the movie was actually very funny, I thought the trailer was very poorly put together and easily put off a lot of people who might want to see it.

mdc3000 12-14-06 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick

Well, unless New Line jumps in head first in early 2007, I doubt it. I'd love to see it on HD but since New Line hasn't released anything yet, I doubt the D would be their first foray into the format. (although I wish this and SOAP would hit...I'd be so happy).

Drexl 12-14-06 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
and i love the d.
but unfortunately never got around to seeing it.

[edit: whoops, meant blu-ray.]

Well, they're supposed to be supporting both HD formats, so either way you're right! :)

Tenacious D 12-15-06 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Just watch the trailer, it'll help you understand why.

That's not a threadcrap. What I mean is that while I understand that the movie was actually very funny, I thought the trailer was very poorly put together and easily put off a lot of people who might want to see it.

I agree. I cringed when I saw the trailer for the first time. Also, I don't think they marketed this movie very well. Granted, I don't watch much TV, but if I didn't already know who Tenacious D were, I doubt I would've even heard of this movie.

im_ryandick 12-15-06 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, they're supposed to be supporting both HD formats, so either way you're right! :)

that's news to me.
i thought i had just made a legitimate error!
great news!

ShaunoftheDead 02-27-07 09:48 AM

Anyone pick up the Best Buy bonus disc and can tell me if it is worth it?

animatedude 02-27-07 09:56 AM

i ordered the dvd online and i really really hope the bonus disc is included.

JackBurton 02-27-07 11:58 AM

I am considering picking this up after work (blind buy). Hope someone chimes in with the contents of the best buy bonus disc. If the bonus has some good stuff, that would definitley push me over the edge.

darkside 02-27-07 12:27 PM

I just picked it up, but can't watch it till later.

Listing on the Bonus disc.
17 Deleted Scenes, Home Movies, "Hell O' Clock News", Internet Shorts and More!

Sounds good for a freebie.

ShaunoftheDead 02-27-07 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I just picked it up, but can't watch it till later.

Listing on the Bonus disc.
17 Deleted Scenes, Home Movies, "Hell O' Clock News", Internet Shorts and More!

Sounds good for a freebie.

Did you get the movie cash for 300 as well?

darkside 02-27-07 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Did you get the movie cash for 300 as well?

Yes, but I got it for a friend. I had picked up 2 for myself yesterday when cashing in on the $5 Warner 2 disc sets.

Lecithin 02-27-07 01:21 PM

I love the D, so I will definitely buy this disc. I just wonder if I should wait, what with all the drastic price reductions that seem to take place on relatively recent disc that are not major box office winners. I waited on Nacho Libre and ended up getting it at Best Buy recently during one of their $6.99 sales. This title seems likely for the same fate. I waited on the DVD instead of going to theaters (like I suspect many did) so I may play the same waiting game for the cutout bin price.

nodeerforamonth 02-27-07 02:24 PM

Well you could wait, but I doubt you'd get the bonus disk by then (if you go to Best Buy)!

darkside 02-27-07 03:52 PM

I can wait on many movies, but not this one. I don't mind paying extra to have this one now, with the bonus disc and heck even with the slipcover.

ScottsDvds 02-27-07 04:18 PM

Great deal at Best Buy with the bonus disc and free movie ticket. :up:

darkside 02-27-07 07:00 PM

This bonus disc is really good.

Deleted & Extended Scenes: 23 minutes
Internet Shorts: 33 Minutes
Home Movies: 13 minutes
Orchestra Featurette: 7 minutes

The deleted and extended scenes have some decent stuff, but obviously the best cut stuff is on the main DVD. I liked the internet promo shorts. The very first one has JB and KG giving an interview right in front of a big marble statue and they are head level with the junk. Home Movies is some decent behind the scenes of the movie. The orchestra featurette looks more professional like something made for the DVD, but didn't make the cut so they could stick on some bullshit trailer for another New Line movie.

If you are a fan you pretty much have to get this at Best Buy. One of the best promo discs I can remember.