DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Batman Begins UPC cover-up??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/486193-batman-begins-upc-cover-up.html)

Mike Adams 12-10-06 02:22 PM

Batman Begins UPC cover-up???

I recently scoured my local WAL-MARTs for a copy of the 2-disc Deluxe Edition of <i>Batman Begins</i>, and while I did finally find one that wasn't either beat up or had severe cover creep, I noticed something odd. The UPC barcode was covered by another barcode sticker on every copy I found. I thought about peeling one off and scanning it under a "price checker", but I figured the Wally World po-po would be on me in a split second for defacing their already-ragged-out merchandise. I wasn't so concerned with price, but since some copies had the new barcode affixed to the case itself under the shrinkwrap, and others had it slapped on over the shrinkwrap, it made me wonder what exactly happened -- are these remnants from a 2-pack that had to be re-UPC'ed for individual sale, or what? Some only had security stickers on the top, and some only on the bottom, while others had both.

Anybody with some info on this, please reply. I know that this has gone OOP (hence my scouring of WAL-MARTs when I really wasn't ready to buy this yet), but I can't see how that would lead to a new UPC code. It still came up as "Batman Begins SE", and it was $13.78, although the regular Widescreen and Fullscreen copies seem to live in the same slot on the shelves. I guess maybe WAL-MART wasn't supposed to get the 2-disc version but received some in an overstock deal, so they had to throw on a sticker that matched the UPC for the regular ones they were selling. I don't have the numbers with me, but I can post the codes from both the sticker and the cover insert when I get home.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

basaro 12-10-06 02:49 PM

I'm guessing the UPC change is because the original release (with comic) was recalled, so they reissued it without the comic and a different UPC.

Additional UPC stickers can be found on tons of releases, I see it all the time. Sometimes they are the exact same #'s too, so I don't really know why they do it in that case.

ash69 12-10-06 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
Additional UPC stickers can be found on tons of releases, I see it all the time. Sometimes they are the exact same #'s too, so I don't really know why they do it in that case.

I think it was on this site - someone said the sticker with the same UPC is so they can tell if you are returning a DVD purchased from them instead of another store.

king slug 12-10-06 05:09 PM

basaro is right, there are a ton of DVD's released like that.

As far as them knowing where you purchased the DVD at, I don't think that's entirely true. If someone was to purchase a DVD at another store, then returned it to Wal-Mart the only way they could do this is without a reciet for store credit. When they ask you for your license to return something without a reciet it's because they actually track how many times you do return things without a reciet (for legal reasons I'm guessing.)

No matter what, if you return something to a store brand new, they're going to put it back on the self, or return it back to the vendor for credit, so they don't lose money on it.

Cameron 12-10-06 05:41 PM

while the above is true. some upc's are store specific. This happens when they get merchandise at a bargain from their vendor. Its the same deal with Columbia House/Bmg titles. Many are identical to the store bought disc, but have a diffrent code.

ash69 12-10-06 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by king slug
As far as them knowing where you purchased the DVD at, I don't think that's entirely true. If someone was to purchase a DVD at another store, then returned it to Wal-Mart the only way they could do this is without a reciet for store credit. When they ask you for your license to return something without a reciet it's because they actually track how many times you do return things without a reciet (for legal reasons I'm guessing.)

? It would be effective in this case - Wal Mart would know the DVD wasn't sold by them (because it doesn't have the replacement UPC sticker) and refuse the exchange or return.

Mike Adams 12-10-06 11:08 PM

Thanks for the insight, I think if you glob everyone's answers together, it's pretty much solved. One thing though, a UPC that's the same as the one on the disc won't tell them anything -- it scans the same, and like I said, many were outside the shrinkwrap, so just because it may not be there doesn't mean it was from somewhere else. As for the bargain angle, doesn't really matter. If they get it cheaper, the only way they get screwed is if you return it at a retailer that has a higher price on the item so you get more store credit at CC or somewhere than you paid WAL-MART, but by then they've made their profit so they don't care.

Anyway, all that's beside the point -- here are the two codes:

sticker: 0 12569 76677 8
cover: 0 12569 73216 2

I think those who mentioned the comic book thing are probably right -- I didn't look into buying this when it first came out, so I'm guessing these were re-ships after the comic was recalled. Thanks for all the replies, wasn't trying to start an argument, although it seems I don't have to try lately... :(

Snowmaker 12-10-06 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
I'm guessing the UPC change is because the original release (with comic) was recalled, so they reissued it without the comic and a different UPC.

Recalled? Meaning I should have sent mine back?

Mike Adams 12-10-06 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ash69
? It would be effective in this case - Wal Mart would know the DVD wasn't sold by them (because it doesn't have the replacement UPC sticker) and refuse the exchange or return.

Wow, I need to set up a keyboard macro where F1 is "Yeah, you're right... you're so smart." because I keep reading stuff I don't agree with and woe be unto me if I express that. Regardless, I have to say that this scenario doesn't hold water. Whether they got it cheaper or paid a premium, they're gonna get exactly the right amount of credit from the manufacturer, regardless of whether it's actually theirs. Besides, WAL-MART is the laxest of the lax when it comes to returns (witness my return of MIAMI VICE the movie with no receipt but they hand me cash anyway, no gift card, cold hard cash). They have in the past limited customers to I think three returns per month, but I've only been asked for ID once and have done at least four lately, but maybe it's on account of the holidays, who knows?

Okay, I know, I disagreed with someone, I'm sorry. I'm a bad person and I know it. Anyway, like I said, I think the folks who said "comic book issue" are right. It's been a looong time since I worked in retail, so tear me a new one if I'm off-base with anything I wrote above. Jeez, just tryin' ta get along here....

Mike Adams 12-10-06 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Recalled? Meaning I should have sent mine back?

OH MY GOD... Do I just have to post little blanks so people can fill in the words for me??? It was recalled from retailers, I don't know, PULLED, whatever makes you happy. It doesn't mean it's a defective Pinto that's gonna explode if hit from the rear. God....

Mike Adams 12-10-06 11:20 PM

Seriously, WTF folks? Who did I piss off that has everyone picking apart every post? I'd really like to know.

Snowmaker 12-10-06 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
OH MY GOD... Do I just have to post little blanks so people can fill in the words for me??? It was recalled from retailers, I don't know, PULLED, whatever makes you happy. It doesn't mean it's a defective Pinto that's gonna explode if hit from the rear. God....

Actually, RECALLED usually does mean a defect or flaw was found with the product.

Maybe "discontinued" or "out of print" is the term you were looking for.

I thought I missed some news somewhere about it being defective or something.

Cameron 12-11-06 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Wow, I need to set up a keyboard macro where F1 is "Yeah, you're right... you're so smart." because I keep reading stuff I don't agree with and woe be unto me if I express that. Regardless, I have to say that this scenario doesn't hold water. Whether they got it cheaper or paid a premium, they're gonna get exactly the right amount of credit from the manufacturer, regardless of whether it's actually theirs.

Hey Mike, I have no ill will, and in theory you are correct. It would not burn the store in question. The extra upc is in place to safeguard other retailers, and is placed by the studio/distribution. While Wal Mart could care less if you returned a 10 dollar disc for 20 at best buy...best buy would care as it could cut into the bottom line, and since they spend so much money with each company, studios try to protect them.

Its a pretty crummy security feature, as stickers can be peeled off, but it does deter some people.

hazel_wu 12-11-06 04:18 AM

Actually, RECALLED usually does mean a defect or flaw was found with the product.

There was a problem that has something to do with the bonus disc. It is in the thread titled "Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP"

Snowmaker 12-11-06 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hazel_wu
There was a problem that has something to do with the bonus disc. It is in the thread titled "Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP"

Found it. Looks like I had already checked mine back when it was first pointed out:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ease+going+OOP

basaro 12-11-06 11:26 AM

Yeah, Discontinued is entirely more accurate, my mistake.

basaro 12-11-06 11:45 AM

Mike Adams, don't get so mad! ;) Sorry if I sent you off because of the "boiling" thread, don't take everything so personally. I have nothing against you as I'm sure no one else does either. Cheer up!

Onto this thread...again.

I don't know about the extra UPC sticker thing. Reason being is because I see dvds all the time in the same store, some with the extra sticker and some without, but both with the same UPC. I find it a little hard to believe how a retailer would even know if "their" copies would have an extra sticker or not. When you return a dvd, the csr just scans it, and if it comes up in their system, then it's legit. They are not going to make a check to see if the upc is a sticker or not, IMO. Actually I have returned dvds with and without these stickers, and have never had any issues.

Of course, I could have encountered copies that were returns in the first place, thus mixing up their inventory, and also showing that the extra sticker or lack of means squat to them.

My Batman Begins UPC is
cover: 0 12569 73216 2
I have no sticker, and my copy was not the first discontinued release.

Willh51 12-11-06 11:43 PM

Just wanted to chime in about the comic edition, which I was able to get. For a while you could order both the "deluxe", meaning with the sort of box slipcover and the dvd and comic book and the "special edition", meaning just the two disc dvd from the "deluxe" version simulataneously.