Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Find yourself buying more DVD Season Sets than Movies?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got home and thinking about it, Ive been buying ALOT of season sets the past year, more so than movies. Today I got Animanics and Pinky & Brain V2s for $21 and earlier I ordered South Park S6 & S7 for around $15. I look at my past DDDVD orders and things Ive picked up and season sets out number everything. I dont even watch TV anymore; I have a show Id rather watch

I was talking to my cousins and he seems to be falling into the same pattern. He no longer buys movies at all. I think my problem is I find them so cheap. And nothing Ive bought has really been over $20. Anyone else 'fallen' into this?
Old 12-10-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm the same way, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I pretty much bought all the "old" movies I wanted on DVD, so if anything I buy new releases or a double dip.

I follow quite a few TV shows, and I always wait for the DVD's to release, so I do find myself buying more then movies. Better value for the money too.
Old 12-10-06, 12:36 AM

where did you get animaniacs for $21?
Old 12-10-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been buying quite a few TV boxsets myself. If it weren't for buying HD DVDs, 98% of my dvd buying would be boxsets.
Old 12-10-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not even close. very few tv sets that I go in for. most of the season sets i do pick up are animated. I've just never been a huge fan of sticking with a series at length. Of course there are exceptions, but my movie titles far surpass my season sets, both in number and in recent purchases
Old 12-10-06, 06:38 AM

I'm going to have to stick up for films here. Movies on dvd are why I don't watch tv anymore.
Old 12-10-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
While I do pick up some TV seasons, the bulk of my purchases still is (and probably always will be) for movies. My "wish list" always has a huge backlog of feature films, and only a few season sets.
Old 12-10-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still buy more movies than TV shows on DVD, however, I do find myself watching tv show DVDs more than movie DVDs.
Old 12-10-06, 09:22 AM

I was like this at one point, but my moving buying has become priority again.
I do plan on buying all the sets of king of queens in the near future.
Old 12-10-06, 10:14 AM

Not for me. I purchase way more DVD, HD-DVD and LD's than tv show season box sets. The only TV shows I own are:

The Dick Van Dyke Show
Batman Animated Series
Venture Brothers

and just getting started on

X-Files (current sale at DVDPlanet with Google Check-out)

Plan to eventually get

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Get Smart
Twilight Zone
Old 12-10-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I find myself acting the same way, I'm a huge sucker for getting the shows I grew up watching, whether it be Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Ducktales or Voltron, but I'm also guilty of getting Seinfeld, Cheers, and M*A*S*H, which are lots of seasons right there....
Old 12-10-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was like this at one point but not anymore. Now I'm buying some TV seasons but much more movies. Now I look back and wonder why I bought so much TV on DVD, I think I'm up to over 120 so far. I've never watched a season set more than once, and I've only gone back to rewatch episodes of a few shows.
Old 12-10-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been buying complete seasons of DVDs from the start. The X-Files and Monty Python's Flying Circus were what drew me into DVDs in the first place.

I own a ton of movies, but really the best deal for me is the TV shows. You pay $20 for one movie which lasts 90-120 mins, or you can pay $40-$60 for 13-24 episodes of some great TV. You get more bang for your buck with TV shows, plus it's easier for me to find time for a 45 min episode than a 2 hour movie.

I love getting my favorite shows and discovering new favorites as well. I'll listen to word of mouth on HBO and Showtime shows and decide what ones I'm interested in, then I'll sit and watch them a season at time. In the past 6 months I've watched 3 seasons of The L-Word, the first season of Weeds, The Tick Season 1 (Animated), Police Squad, The Complete Dick Van Dyke Show & Battlestar Galactica and now I just started season 1 of The Wire with seasons 2 and 3 in waiting. Next up is the Bob Newhart Show. Plus, I've been rewatching Babylon 5 a few episodes at a time along with a few favorite anime series. I'm in heaven.

I've bought and watched some movies as well during this time, but I've usually waited for them to drop in price to $10 or so before getting them.
Old 12-10-06, 01:16 PM

I'd snatch up Northern Exposure if they ever came out with a set without the replacement music.
Old 12-10-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like I am doing this also. I have found that tv shows I grew up with offer me more than just the pleasure of the show. I remember the family times sitting around the tube watching these shows and it brings back plenty of warm, fuzzy feelings that I associate with my childhood. In recent months, I have picked up Mission: Impossible, Perry Mason, Columbo, Simon & Simon and other shows.

As a family we spent plenty of time watching these shows when we were together. I am also finding that the movies out now just don't really have a lot of appeal.

I am sure that the tide will turn in the future and I will again purchase more movies, just not at this time.
Old 12-10-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
I still buy more movies than TV shows on DVD, however, I do find myself watching tv show DVDs more than movie DVDs.

I am the same way. I have plenty of movies sitting around unwatched. But, I just watched Coupling season 1-3 for the third time.
Old 12-10-06, 02:37 PM

Dont get me wrong, I still buy movies. But with the market so saturated and me not minding used DVDs, I just wait. Like I really wanted X3, but waited and got that special $30 edition for $10 (BF sale). Ill do the same with Taledega Nights. I always find better deals for season sets so I buy those. Plus Im in the same boat of buying stuff I grew up on. I LOVE Ducktales, Hercules, Transformers, tons of stuff.

Also I have insomnia alot so putting on a show is always easy and very cool. I also watch these when working out, and I work out alot, so bieng able to watch an ep or 2 doing that is great.
Old 12-10-06, 02:38 PM

Yeah , ive kinda gone for season boxsets recently myself. Personally i can't get enough of Family Guy and C.S.I but my wife prefers Friends which is a boxset i will NEVER own.
Old 12-10-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. There are only a handful of shows on DVD that I am interested in:
Arrested Development, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, some of the Adult Swim stuff, Reno 911, X-Files, the original Twilight Zone, and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. In general, I find television (especially the network variety) to be a vast wasteland of idiocy.

Last edited by NoirFan; 12-10-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quack
I find myself acting the same way, I'm a huge sucker for getting the shows I grew up watching
Me too. But lately I've been asking myself "Will I actually sit down and watch this more than once." For the majority of TV stuff the answer is a definite no, with a few exceptions such as animated stuff and Britcoms. Besides, I have a really hard time paying money for TV shows that are still in syndication and air constantly FOR FREE!!
Old 12-10-06, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grem458
Me too. But lately I've been asking myself "Will I actually sit down and watch this more than once." For the majority of TV stuff the answer is a definite no, with a few exceptions such as animated stuff and Britcoms. Besides, I have a really hard time paying money for TV shows that are still in syndication and air constantly FOR FREE!!
I too have been buying more TV sets on DVD, mostly becuase of the reduced prices lately and the fact it gives me a chance to discover shows that I have never watched before. Six Feet Under, Arrested Developement, West Wing,
Homicide to name a few, and I can watch them at my convenience, not around a programed time slot. Plus I figure that my kids will be able to view them down the road as I will pass them on to them, so I do not feel it is a waste at all. Besides, who knows which shows will be in syndication in the future, and which ones won't!
Old 12-10-06, 04:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, I have been buying a bunch of TV shows more than movies also
Old 12-10-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, I'm at about 60 percent TV sets now. Love em. And when they start coming out in HDDVD I'm really screwed.
Old 12-10-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Been collecting DVDs since '99 and don't have any TV sets. I bought some sets like the Simpsons, Married with Children, Eerie Indiana but got rid of them. The lack of commercials is great since that is a big factor why I don't watch much of any TV now. I would like to get some childhood favorites like G.I.JOE & Saved by the Bell though.
Old 12-10-06, 05:16 PM

No. I only own a few.

Currently Own:
Star Trek:TNG
Boomtown – Season 1
Homicide: Life on the Streets
Mission: Impossible: The Complete First Season

Must-haves when Released:
Mission: Impossible - Seasons 2 through 7

Plan to buy eventually:
Sports Night
The Job

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.