Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Find yourself buying more DVD Season Sets than Movies?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Find yourself buying more DVD Season Sets than Movies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yes, because I have most of the back catalog I want, and TV sets are more bang for the buck.
Old 12-10-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Maybe not more, but at least as many.
Out of 241 titles in DVDProfiler, 127 are either "Television" or "Anime". A couple of those Anime are movies, but most are anime series.
No commercials, usually unedited, being able to watch them 'rationing' or all at once, being able to watch them on any number of DVD players, being able to pop in and watch a 22 or 45 minute show instead of having to block out 1.5-4 hours for a movie, and with special features, are all reasons I prefer TV on DVD to live TV.
Movies, there just haven't been that many movies coming out in the last few years that I want to own that i don't already have--though I have rented a bunch through NF or BBO. And though quantity isn't everything, a 18-30 dollar TV on DVD set does offer a lot more 'bang' than a 20 buck movie dvd, like someone said earlier.
Old 12-10-06, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been buying more TV sets that I usually do with all the sales right now, but with Columbia House and a lot of back catalog titles I have yet to get, Movies reign supreme in the kingdom of My DVD Purchases.
Old 12-10-06, 10:24 PM

6-7 outta 10 dvds I buy is probably TV. The reasons for that are most only cost a few bucks more, I hate commercials and waiting a week or longer between episodes.
Old 12-11-06, 10:37 AM

for me, i haven't really been spending much on either. mostly because of financial reasons. but when i do buy, i'm buying movies than tv sets for now.

one reason is that i don't have the funds now to buy sets for shows i want and/or used to watch. like friends, roswell, transformers, etc.

also, i hadn't been watching any tv shows in the last few years until last spring. in the future, i can see myself getting more and more tv sets. i want to get caught up on shows like lost and 24, and it makes no sense for me to rent 6 discs at $4.50 each. maybe netflix will be an option too.
Old 12-11-06, 10:51 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Still only have 4 season sets. TV shows just usually don't have the same rewatchability.
Old 12-11-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
I just got home and thinking about it, Ive been buying ALOT of season sets the past year, more so than movies. Today I got Animanics and Pinky & Brain V2s for $21 and earlier I ordered South Park S6 & S7 for around $15. I look at my past DDDVD orders and things Ive picked up and season sets out number everything. I dont even watch TV anymore; I have a show Id rather watch

I was talking to my cousins and he seems to be falling into the same pattern. He no longer buys movies at all. I think my problem is I find them so cheap. And nothing Ive bought has really been over $20. Anyone else 'fallen' into this?
I rarely buy movies anymore. My purchases are probably 95% TV on DVD these days. Not just shows I love, but stuff I never got around to checking out. It is a great, relavtively inexpensive way to do that.

I have a shelf of unwatched movies and some stuff on their is from release days long gone by. Batman Begins? Oh yeah. Still unwatched. So I basically quit buying movies a few months ago as I know I will not get to them. I will be picking up Narnia this week though as my wife has been dying to see it again.

With a couple kids(one infant) it is hard to set aside a couple uninterupted(and not dog tired) hours to squeeze a movie in. Knocking out a couple of episodes of a show here and there is much more convenient.
Old 12-11-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy a lot of TV sets, but movies still far outpace them.
Old 12-11-06, 12:49 PM

My TV Season purchases have increased as well but I still be plenty of movies. I think the reason I've bought more this year is price. Really when you think about it. The quality of TV usually sucks unless you have HDTV...We only get NBC in HD where I am so the rest is SD. So I wait and go buy the set and watch the season in great quality.

Do I still watch TV? Yes I do.

But with tons of seasons now in the
Old 12-11-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been sucked into the TV-on-DVD frenzy since "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1" was released, from there it went to 'The Simpsons,' to "Sex and the City,' to 'Friends,' and by the time 'Felicity' went away it was all over... Now I have over 200 TV sets... and while thats nowhere near the 600 DVD movies I have... My TV-on-DVD runtime elapses my Movies about three times...
Old 12-11-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What you all are saying is totally true. I forgot to state that I dont watch much TV anymore because everything sucks. I also record everything so I dont watch commercials. All I see on TV is The Office, Earl, Rescue Me, The Shield, Survivor, Amazing Race, Ghosthunters, and HBO shows when in season. Thats it. Out of these shows, I own only 7 total network season sets combined (+11 HBO).

What I love about shows is that I can buy something I may NEVER have seen on TV, yesterday or today. Like Poltegeist, Hercules, Titus, Brisco County, Jack of All Trades, etc.

I dont buy sets in syndication unless theyre real cheap. Ive gotten all my syndicated sets for less than $20. Like the Office S1 cost me only $3 on BF
Old 12-11-06, 11:49 PM

TV on DVD for me.

One reason is I've bought all the older movies I wanted and most of the new stuff I dont care for. I've only bought 3 releases of current movies in all of 2006.

Another reason is the recent sales of TV on DVD. $15-$20 Yes. $30-$50 No
Old 12-12-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I am totally into DVD season sets! I like to run a cycle of shows that I watch on DVD. I watch that way more than movies actually.
Old 12-12-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lately, I've been buying more TV sets as opposed to movies. I credit that to a couple of things. First it's because I simply don't have the time to fit "TV" into my schedule. So with a show like 24, there's simply no way. Of course, not to mention quality and no annoying commercials. Plus with reasonable prices, what more can you ask for?
Old 12-12-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have 281 TV Boxed Sets and 518 regular movies. There was a time when the two numbers were almost equal because of the awesome sale prices on box sets and the crappy sale prices on regular movies. I just couldn't justify spending $17.99 on one movie, when whole seasons were going for that price. But now they have pretty good sales on regular DVDs, so that increased my buying in that area.

Shows we have are:
Frasier
King of Queens
Lost
The OC
ER
Everybody Loves Raymond
The X-Files
Gilmore Girls
3rd Rock from the Sun
One Tree Hill
CSI
Garfield and Friends
Seinfeld
Roswell
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Lone Gunmen
Newlyweds
Punk'd
Scrubs
Smallville
Party of Five
The Jamie Kennedy Experiment
Will and Grace
Full House
Charmed
Golden Girls
Roseanne
Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers
Ducktales
Spongebob Squarepants
The Nanny
Laguna Beach
The Flinstones
The Jetsons
Nip/Tuck
Veronica Mars
House, M.D.
Supernatural
8th and Ocean
Millennium
Life as We Know It
Sweet Valley High
Home Improvement
Boy Meets World
Fear Factor
American Idol
The Twilight Zone
Mad About You
The 4400
Airline
Dharma & Greg
Joey
Ellen
Dinosaurs
Tru Calling
Point Pleasant
Bones
Wonderfalls
The Joe Schmo Show
Everwood
Friends
Unsolved Mysteries
Animaniacs
Las Vegas
Dawson's Creek
Dead Like Me
Angel
A-Team
Alf
The Amazing Race
American Dad
Batman: TAS
Blue Collar TV
The Mole
Celebrity Mole
Dark Angel
Eerie, Indiana
Family Guy
Fantastic Four
Freaks and Geeks
Futurama
Girls Next Door
Grounded for Life
Hercules
Knight Rider
MacGyver
MadTV
Married With Children
Monk
The Pretender
Prison Break
Saved by the Bell
The Simpsons
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
Survivor
Titus
Undeclared
Viva la Bam
Without a Trace

That's all folks!

(And all that on a college budget...whoa)
Old 12-12-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I've cut back on both big time. There was a point where I realized that I would have a hard time watching all the DVDs I'd purchased to date, much less rewatch any of them.
Old 12-12-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been renting more and more. And with Blockbuster's new TOTAL ACCESS...damn. It's awesome. I hope the program lasts and doesn't end up being like only available to certain price levels...

But yeah, I've decided to buy about one set a month or so...it gives me time to rewatch the old ones then. I only RENT ones I haven't seen. If I wanna watch em again, I buy em.

I've found that I get bored during a lot of movies. I don't know if it's because the quality is down these days or if since I am soo into TV, movies aren't fast paced enough for me.

I still rent a lot of movies, but I prefer TV on DVD.

I watched "The Petrified Forest" last night with Bogat and B. Davis. Good stuff.
Old 12-12-06, 01:56 PM

I think I spend most of time watching tv dvds, but I still buy more films.

These are my recent purchases:
Alien Quadrilogy
Fanny and Alexander: Criterion (not really TV, is it?)
Seven Samurai: Criterion SE
Cinema Paradiso
Clerks II
The Green Mile
The Conformist
Day for Night
Preston Sturges Filmmaker Collection
The Premiere Frank Capra Collection
James Bond Ultimated Volume # 3
Three Colors Trilogy

But then...
Pinky and the Brain Volume 2
Bones: S1
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection V4
24: S5
Boston Legal: S2
Alias: S5
Seinfeld: S7

I'm still watching my tv shows, not my films. Those are for later.

I don't know why I prefer watching tv shows; I guess they're just more relaxing to watch. You get shut your brain off.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I don't eat.
Old 12-12-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I definitely buy way more movies than TV sets, but I have found myself getting more into TV than I ever was before specifically because of DVD. Early on I had it in mind that I would buy Twin Peaks, the original Twilight Zone, and maybe Season 1 of Miami Vice if the pilot movie wasn't available individually. Then I ended up buying the 2 seasons of the original Outer Limits because I'd never seen it before and heard it was very similar to The Twilight Zone (my all-time favorite show). Then I broke down and bought the Seinfeld seasons figuring that I needed some quickie comedy episodes for when I'm traveling and don't want to commit to an entire movie (and Seinfeld is one of the few sitcoms that has a lot of rewatchability for me). I ended up buying Season 1 of Miami Vice as originally planned, but decided to collect the entire run of the series after enjoying them so much. Then I grabbed the '80s revival of The Twilight Zone which I hadn't seen since I was a kid. Then FX got me hooked on King of the Hill and it became my second favorite sitcom...so I bought all of those. Then Tales from the Crypt...then Star Trek...then Lost...then Amazing Stories...then Police Squad! And I'll probably add South Park, Married with Children, Night Gallery and The X-Files before I'm done. DVD has definitely put a new spin on TV shows. The good ones can either give you a quick bang for your buck when a 2 hour movie is just more than you can handle, or else they do the opposite: they expound on a story over the course of many episodes allowing for a much broader narrative experience than you can possibly get within the course of a 2-3 hour film.
Old 12-12-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm all about the season sets. I don't even have cable. I just wait until the show I want is out on DVD and buy it. No weekly waits for new epsiodes. I'm far too impatient
Old 12-12-06, 09:50 PM

Yes, more tv for me. It's easier for me to sit down and watch a 22 min ep. while I'm eating breakfast/dinner or before I go to bed. About 80% of the dvds I watch are tv.
Old 12-12-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been getting more TV sets than movies. I tell myself I won't buy any new series until I finish off the sets I have. So far, it's not working out so well.
Old 12-12-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Films over TV regardless of format.

Primarily, I'm not a fan of contemporary American media (and I am American), period .. well, at least not since the 80's. Most of my latest TV series purchases aside from Battlestar Galactica have been imports: Spaced, City of Men, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. American TV media that I own or plan to at some point would include Band of Brothers, M*A*S*H, Miami Vice, V, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, A-Team and Star Blazers. That's it so far and a very short list.

So, it's an easy choice for me ...
Old 12-12-06, 11:51 PM
Banned

I have never purchased TV shows on DVD, because I usually record my favorite programs (which are the old classic clean sitcoms on my DVR, whenever TV Land broadcast their weekend marathon, and during the week afterwards. I don't necessarily must have TV shows on DVD. One hundred percent of my DVD collection are movies only.
Old 12-13-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to not have to wait a week between episodes, the no commercials aspect too is great.

I have even started stockpiling episodes on Tivo of shows not yet on DVD so I don't have to wait a week between episodes.

Just off the top of my head my shows are.

Friends
Three's Company
Sex and the City
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Desperate Housewives
Veronica Mars (I have been tivo'ing up S3 due to its lack of availibility on dvd)
Seinfeld (I am waiting to start watching this until the collection is complete) I am really looking forward to being able to watch the entire series all at once.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.