Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Come on Paramount! Release 1492: Conquest Of Paradise in 2007

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-07-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This needs to be released on DVD in 2007 at some point from the studio Paramount, I hope they do it! Ridley Scott said recently he will be working on a new cut of the film for HBO and than a DVD release in the near future. At this point I would settle for the theatrical version made available on DVD with a DTS track or a newly restored 5.1 sound mix. I hope they could include the music video for Conquest Of Paradise from Vangelis, a photo gallery, deleted scenes and the theatrical trailers for the film. Let's face it, this desperately needs to be released in 2007 as a catalog title DVD from Paramount.
Old 12-07-06, 02:39 PM

Paramount -Release this masterpiece now! And while were at it. Whats taking LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR so long to get on dvd.
Old 12-07-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, really missing this one - great flick (I know there are detractors, but not me) - probably one of the few from Mr. Scott not released.
Old 12-16-06, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Strange how Paramount could promote this on VHS back on initial release, put out the Laserdisc, and since, silence.

Old 12-16-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want it on HD-DVD as well.

I know it's not perfect, but I was all over this when it came out. I thought the trailers (which I'd want on the DVD as well) we really well done.

I think there were two. One had scenes from the film set to the (then new) song from Enigma 'Sadeness' mixing current music with images from the past way before A Knights Tale or Moulin Rouge did it.

Another trailer had an image of feet (presumably Columbus') stepping out of the water on to the beach in slo-mo while the audio was NASA communication from the moon landing, equating Columbus setting foot on the New World was just as far out as humans setting foot on the moon.

That's the way I remember it anyway.
Old 12-16-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cornflake guy, those 2 trailers are exactly the way you described. I took both of those trailers when I was a projectionist way back in the day, they are a couple of my favorites. This is my personal Ridley Scott fave. I agree, it isn't the best of his work, in fact far from it, but i is one of the most beautiful he's ever done, without a touch of CGI in it. It's a wonderful organic look. I bought the Brazilian Region 4 dvd and Region 2 Korean one (which included the wonderful Vangelis soundtrack) in hoping one of those trailers would be on there. But nothing. Oh well. I even invested in the laserdisc. As I mentioned before, I really hope (and am assuming so) that Ridley Scott will eventually release a great SE. The Region 3 and 4 dvd's that I have have about 5 minutes of extra footage, so I'm sure there's more left out.

I think it's funny how every few months or so there's a new 1492 thread, but I'm just glad a lot of us want it to see the light of day on a better format than VHS and laserdisc, which wasn't that bad for the time.

Last edited by E Unit; 12-16-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Another trailer had an image of feet (presumably Columbus') stepping out of the water on to the beach in slo-mo while the audio was NASA communication from the moon landing, equating Columbus setting foot on the New World was just as far out as humans setting foot on the moon.
Yep, right on the money, it was that trailer that made me really want to see 1492: Conquest of Paradise, it's a fantastic trailer and would still even today be a perfect fit if this was released in 2006 at the cinema. The other trailer your right on the money with as well, I saw that on the TV tube and remember Enigma's song being in it. If a DVD ever materializes, I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd like them to be included on the disc.
Old 12-16-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
This is my personal Ridley Scott fave. I agree, it isn't the best of his work, in fact far from it, but i is one of the most beautiful he's ever done, without a touch of CGI in it. It's a wonderful organic look..
Mine to, but I wouldn't say it's not some of his best work. I believe the directing in this film is often overlooked, it's downright incredible and IMO is some of his best work as a director. Everything comes across as being pure and organic, which IMO is a credit to Ridley Scott and everyone involved in the project.