DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Newsradio Season 5 info?

Old 12-03-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Newsradio Season 5 info?

Just curious if any news has come out on a release date for Newsradio Season 5? It definitely seems like a longer period than between the other season sets.

Looking forward to finishing up the series.

thanks.
Old 12-03-06, 07:20 PM

I too am looking forward to completing my Newsradio series... although not as much given the loss of Phil Hartman in S5.
Old 12-03-06, 07:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by ignition
I too am looking forward to completing my Newsradio series... although not as much given the loss of Phil Hartman in S5.
So he was in some eps and they continued? What season did Khandi Alexander leave?
Old 12-03-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Hartman = no sale.
Old 12-03-06, 08:52 PM

I'm hoping for some kind of Hartman tribute on the set.
Old 12-03-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only episode I would be interested in owning from Season 5 is the first one. After Phil's death they should have just let the show go.
Old 12-04-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
So he was in some eps and they continued? What season did Khandi Alexander leave?
Just watched it a month or two back -- middle of season 4 IIRC.
Old 12-04-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope the set comes with a lifesize, frameable 'Stinkbutt' poster. That would look great on my wall.
Old 12-04-06, 11:32 AM

this show had a great ensemble cast, anyone who thinks it was just Hartman's show clearly didn't get it
Old 12-04-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by domino harvey
this show had a great ensemble cast, anyone who thinks it was just Hartman's show clearly didn't get it
Didn't mean to imply that I thought it was "Hartman's show", it's just I found the thought of the show carrying on without him depressing.
Old 12-04-06, 06:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by domino harvey
it was hardly about Hartman. i think the dynamic between Dave Foley and Maura Tierney was the best part of the show. though Hartman does rule, but i loved Joe Rogan and Stephen Root just as much.
Old 12-04-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
it was hardly about Hartman. i think the dynamic between Dave Foley and Maura Tierney was the best part of the show. though Hartman does rule, but i loved Joe Rogan and Stephen Root just as much.
Definitely. The character of Jimmy James was just freaking brilliant. Half the time he's a complete lunatic and the other time he's spouting common sense in the funniest way. I wish Stephen Root would do a few more projects too.
Old 12-04-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly agree that the show had a top notch ensemble cast, perhaps one of the best in recent memory. But with the departure of Hartman, and the arrival of his replacement, the excruciatingly untalented and jarringly unfunny Jon Lovitz, there was a noticible drop off in quality. Lovitz is simply just that bad - everything he appears in turns to crap. The Simpsons episodes in which he did guest voices were among the worst. And "The Critic"? Ugh. Don't get me started. Glad to see him reduced to doing Subway commercials now - the next step for him is co-starring in 1-800 COLLECT ads with Ellen Cleghorn.
Old 12-05-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say that the fifth season is worth owning for at least the following two reasons:
- Patrick Warburton is brilliant
- In the abscence of Bill McNeil, the relationship between Dave and Matthew becomes truly amazing; it's like Dave took all his hatred for Bill, and all Bill's hatred for Matthew, and all his own hatred for Matthew, and rolled them all into one.

Also, I must confess, I still laugh just thinking: "Are you Doobie Keebler?"
Old 12-05-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never did watch the fifth season when it aried, or during re-runs. It just wasn't the same without Phil. But I'm over that now and hope I have the chance to finally finish this thing. I thought I heard a rumor elsewhere that it is in process, but I can't find that anymore. So for now I guess we wait.
Old 12-05-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Definitely. The character of Jimmy James was just freaking brilliant. Half the time he's a complete lunatic and the other time he's spouting common sense in the funniest way. I wish Stephen Root would do a few more projects too.
Stephen Root is a terrific comic character actor, and was great on Newsradio. I agree that he should get more work.

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I never did watch the fifth season when it aried, or during re-runs. It just wasn't the same without Phil. But I'm over that now and hope I have the chance to finally finish this thing. I thought I heard a rumor elsewhere that it is in process, but I can't find that anymore. So for now I guess we wait.
Actually, either Gord or Dave from TVShowsOnDvd.com posted something on one of the DVD forums (HTF, I believe) a couple months ago that Sony was definitely working on a season five release of Newsradio and it would probably be out sometime in early/mid 2007.
Old 12-05-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Actually, either Gord or Dave from TVShowsOnDvd.com posted something on one of the DVD forums (HTF, I believe) a couple months ago that Sony was definitely working on a season five release of Newsradio and it would probably be out sometime in early/mid 2007.
That's exactly the post I was thinking of. But I didn't want to say so since I couldn't find anything to back it up and wasn't 100% sure I was thinking of the right show. I still can't find his post where he mentioned they were working on season 5, but at least someone else remembers it. At least now I know it wasn't just my faulty memory.
Old 03-14-07, 02:44 PM

Thought I would update the thread with the latest information:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6788

NewsRadio Season 5 hits the shelves on March 20, 2007.

Old 03-14-07, 02:49 PM

Great to see, I currently only have NewsRadio: The Complete First and Second Seasons, but will eventually get the rest.
Old 03-14-07, 02:56 PM

Really looking forward to completing the set, as season 5 was the last season.

Unfortunately, after Phil Hartman's death, the show really never recovered nor reached the same level of hilarity. Still one of my favorites though!
Old 03-14-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm - they other set I needed immediately. This one, not so much. If memory serves this final set should get a huge price drop 6 months from now. I'm not paying more than $20.
Old 03-14-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Just watched it a month or two back -- middle of season 4 IIRC.
actually she left about 6 episodes in. A fourth of the season in not half.
Old 03-21-07, 01:42 AM

Picked this up today, and just an FYI. Although they aren't listed on the back there are commentaries on the discs.
Old 03-21-07, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by LeeVing
Picked this up today, and just an FYI. Although they aren't listed on the back there are commentaries on the discs.
Lee,
Where did you get this? I am wondering if they have at Target.
Old 03-21-07, 01:37 PM

Best Buy had it here.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.