DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What Have You "Double-Dipped" On?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/484985-what-have-you-double-dipped.html)

DVDpackrat 11-28-06 09:49 PM

What Have You "Double-Dipped" On??

I recently did my first double-dip. Memento. I find it very difficult to do. I almost did it for Wizard of Oz but changed my mind. I doubt I will ever go HD-DVD, with 1800+ dvds, I know I wouldn't be able to rebuy all over again. That HD though, so sweet, it makes my eyes water it is so clear.

cactusoly 11-28-06 09:57 PM

Star Wars Trilogy
Superman Box
Punisher
Daredevil
Batman
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Apocolypse Now
Silence Of The Lambs
Dawn of The Dead (original)
Day Of The Dead
Godzilla (original)
Godzilla vs Mothra
King Kong 05
Alien Box
Scarface
Escape From NY

EdTheRipper 11-28-06 10:05 PM

I used to double dip all the time. Now, very rarely. I think the last one I bought was the unrated version of Jackass.

Canuck21 11-28-06 10:07 PM

The Matrix
Speed
Superman: the Movie
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

RobCA 11-28-06 10:09 PM

Amazon Women on the Moon
Angel Heart
Asylum
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Chicago
The Color Purple
The Crying Game
Groundhog Day
Heathers
Liar Liar
Mommie Dearest
The Net
9 to 5
Pretty in Pink
Purple Rain
Sea of Love
Some Kind of Wonderful
Strangers on a Train
Trilogy of Terror
The Twilight Zone (first the collections, then the season sets...)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Snowmaker 11-28-06 10:18 PM

Star Wars Trilogy
Punisher
Daredevil
Batman
Toy Story 1 & 2
Aliens
Austin Powers 1 & 2 (just for the cases)
Little Mermaid
Spaceballs
Black Hole
Clerks
Dazed and Confused
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
On Golden Pond
Predator 2
Reservoir Dogs
Road House
Robocop
Starship Troopers
T2
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas

JasonF 11-28-06 10:26 PM

I bought roughly half the Star Trek DVDs when they were oming two episodes per DVD, then sold them all off and bought the season sets.

I double-dipped on 4 or 5 Hitchcock titles that I bought solo and then picked up in either the WB or Universal collections.

Dazed & Confused -- once in the Ultimate Party Collection and a second time when Criterion released it.

Searchers -- both the original snapper and in the Ford/Wayne boxed set.

Maltese Falcon -- again, the original snapper and the recent 3-discer in the Bogart Signature collection.

Thin Man -- once again, I bought it on its own and then rebought when the boxed set came out.

Sullivan's Travels -- I have the Criterion version and I just picked up the Sturges boxed set

The Bank Dick -- I own both the Criterion release and the W.C. Fields boxed set that contains it. I also own the Mae West Glamour collection, so I've got two copies of My Little Chickadee.

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Field of Dreams

Purple Rain

To Kill a Mockingbird

Ben Hur

Wizard of Oz

Grand Hotel (owned it solo first, then got the Garbo box)

Office Space

Ran

The Ten Commandments

I sold all of my double dips except the Bank Dick, My Little Chickadee, Dazed & Confused (I love the anti-pot PSA on the otherwise inferior non-Criterion version) and tGtB&tU (I like the original cut of the film).

I've also set aside my copies of Superman, Superman II, and the Fleishr Superman cartoons, since I'm planning to pick up the Utimate Superman bo as soon as I get a chance. But technically, that's not a double-dip .... yet.

Nth Power 11-28-06 10:28 PM

Not too much :

Reservoir Dogs
Underworld
Daredevil
Toy Story 1 & 2
A Bug's Life
Jaws
Dogma
V for Vendetta (for the collector's edition)

DivxGuy 11-28-06 10:53 PM

Apocalypse Now. (I had to see the extra Cynthia Wood scenes.)

canaryfarmer 11-28-06 10:54 PM

Uhh...not much, really.

Big Lebowski
Clerks
Ghost in the Shell

Wow. That's it, actually. Thought there'd be a few more.

Rizor 11-28-06 11:10 PM

Daredevil
Gladiator
King Kong ('05)
Star Wars Trilogy
T2

gutwrencher 11-28-06 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I recently did my first double-dip

Yeah, I remember when I popped my double-dip cherry. Seems like years ago....:D. I've graduated to triple and quad-dips since and still don't give it much thought. I do what I have to do to maintain the library in a healthy fashion.

I doubt I will ever go HD-DVD, with 1800+ dvds, I know I wouldn't be able to rebuy all over again
I doubt you will ever own dvd only and no HD format. You will....and it's all a matter of time. And rebuy ALL your titles? Crazy talk. Like me, it should be with essential/selected titles only. Many releases are just fine on dvd and always would be. Many will never be released on an HD disc.

Oh yeah, I two-shotted Memento myself a few years back. My limited edition is still sealed in the original wrapping.:D:lol:

RobCA 11-28-06 11:19 PM

I honestly don't think I'll ever switch to HD either. Of course, I used to say the exact same thing about switching from VHS to DVD... And I think I was one of the very last people to finally switch from cassette tapes to CDs. :D

Rob

Quack 11-28-06 11:25 PM

Toy Story 1
Toy Story 2
Evil Dead
Clerks

Not too bad so far....

WhFastus 11-28-06 11:29 PM

If we're restricting it to DVDs:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - originally bought the single disc, then later upgraded to the 2-disc and sold the single disc to a coworker. Net cost for the upgrade was $3 and change.

Hero - bought an all-region import in early 2003, before Miramax made HKFlix stop selling it. Late last year, I bought the Miramax disc.

Superman I and II - bought the initial releases back in 2001, now waiting for my copy of the Superman Ultimate Collection to arrive from Overstock.com. I gave the old Superman discs to my mom, who loves the Lois/Supes flying scene in the first movie.

Lord of the Rings - Initially I bought only the Extended Editions. In early 2005 I wound up having to re-buy Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers when the movie discs on each of those EEs mysteriously went missing. I hit the used market on Amazon for the replacements. August of that same year, I hit a sale on the Theatrical editions at Target, $10 each.

Supergirl - bought the International Version in August 2000. Later purchased the Director's Cut separately. Don't know if that qualifies as a true double dip.

DvdClon 11-28-06 11:40 PM

Virus (Jamie Lee Curtis/Donald Sutherland)
Best In Show
Dummy

All of these I bought twice because I forgot I already had them.

In the more traditional double-dip category:

Dune (Sci-Fi Channel production, not Lynch)
Donnie Darko
Truman Show

animefan 11-28-06 11:51 PM

Seven Samurai (Original Criterion -> Korean Limited Set -> New 3-disc Criterion)
Old Boy (Original Korean release -> New Tin box)
Alien Box set
Matrix
Shakespeare in Love
Ronin
Armageddon
Ghostbusters 1&2
Patriot
Spaceballs
Starship Trooper
Terminator 2
Mask of Zorro
Memento
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Platoon
Sixth Sense
Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
My Fair Lady
Good, Bad, and Ugly
Magnificent Seven
Deer Hunter
Dr Strangelove
Some Like it Hot
Little Mermaid
Peter Pan (Limited -> Special Edition -> and will get the new 2 disc)
Fox and the Hound
Robin Hood
Pocahontas
Mulan
Transformers Movie
Cowboy Bebop
Boogiepop Phantom
Irresponsible Captain Tylor sets
Evangelion
Trigun
Patlabor Movie 1 & 2

Darknite39 11-29-06 12:15 AM

Superman I and II
Evangelion

When I get into HD, I'm sure this # will go up, to the benefit of my friends and brother.

Jake77444 11-29-06 01:50 AM

Don't mean to be a buzz kill but there is probably hundreds of thread on this same topic and maybe even with the same title.

SEARCH is your friend.

On another note.

I've double dipped on over a hundred titles since I sold my entire collection about 6 months ago, since then I've rebought alot of the same titles. In a more traditional sense of the term I would only say Dazed and Confused CC and it was the best double dip ever.

rw2516 11-29-06 05:10 AM

Off the top of my head
POSEIDON ADVENTURE
TOWERING INFERNO
GOOD BAD UGLY
DIRTY DOZEN
TITANIC
EARTHQUAKE
AIRPORT
CONAN BARBARIAN
CARPENTER THING
ASYLUM
BEAST MUST DIE
AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS
DIE HARD TRILOGY
TOM CLANCY TRILOGY
BLACK RAIN
EVENT HORIZON
HALLOWEEN 1-3
ALL 5 PLANET OF THE APES
GREAT ESCAPE
VIDEODROME
ROMANCING THE STONE
CHRISTMAS STORY
PSYCHO 2-3
FUNHOUSE
SENTINEL
PHANTASM
ARKOFFF DOUBLE FEATURES
SPARTACUS
PINK PANTHERS
PD SHERLOCK HOLMES
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
GOLDFINGER
SPY WHO LOVED ME
MOONRAKER
GOLDENEYE
DR.NO
ROBOCOP

Fincher Fan 11-29-06 05:26 AM

Ugh, too many to list. I've even triple-dipped on a few titles.

Tenacious D 11-29-06 06:41 AM

Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Oldboy
Reservoir Dogs
Star Wars Trilogy
Matrix Trilogy
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Clerks
Mallrats
Nightmare on Elm Street
Saw
The Dead Zone
Dracula
Frankenstein

Not as many as I thought actually. There's a ton that have been double-dipped that I have, but I was lucky enough to wait for the second version.

Star Wars Guy 11-29-06 07:08 AM

Not much. If I'm pretty sure they'll have a better release within 1 year, I'll hold off until the new one come out.

Star Wars Trilogy (for the original theatrical releases)
Home Alone (for the Family Fun Edition)
Billy Madison & Happy Gilmore (From the bare bones to the Collection versions)
Fast & the Furious (For the Tricked Out Edition and only because I had the original version for only $5 and the new one came with a movie ticket for 2 Fast 2 Furious)

matome 11-29-06 07:59 AM

I can't even begin to think of how many I have double-dipped on.

mijorico 11-29-06 10:30 AM

Bad Santa
Dazed and Confused
Get Shorty
Office Space
The Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me

But a few were either gifts or trades, so technically I guess I didn't double dip.