[Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

[Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They no longer have it on Columbia House so I guess that means they're recalling them...anyone know when they'll be made available again?
Old 12-15-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron

Furthermore. I am amazed at the hostility at the above forum, and to a lesser degree this one with Warner Brothers. They made a mistake no doubt, but even before release date had a plan on how to resolve it. It keeps box sets under the Christmas Tree, while offering a fix in due course. While I'm sure everyone invloved would have loved to have a perfect set first time out, Warner has gone above and beyond by replacing Superman Disc 1.

Warner is hardly the bad guys in the dvd world, and all the angst is off putting when you step back and realize the good work they have done across the board on classic films and catalog titles. They have made very few mistakes in the past few years, and have always corrected them. Just be patient, remember mail is always slower this time of year, and who knows what the circumstances are that are holding the envelopes back.
I'm just pissed because in Canada, Warner has made multiple mistakes in the last couple of years and has never corrected them. I'm still having my doubts that I will ever see this mailer...
Old 12-16-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well just sat down to finally watch the brian singer journals and my dvd started making an awful noise when the menu started. I took it to my DVD player in the living room and same thing. Turns out on the outer edge on one side the plastic is a little thicker. It actually forms kind of a lip around the top of the disc. I'm guessing it's off-kilter. Hopefully, Future shop will get some new sets in soon.
Old 12-16-06, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by freshticles
Well just sat down to finally watch the brian singer journals and my dvd started making an awful noise when the menu started. I took it to my DVD player in the living room and same thing. Turns out on the outer edge on one side the plastic is a little thicker. It actually forms kind of a lip around the top of the disc. I'm guessing it's off-kilter. Hopefully, Future shop will get some new sets in soon.

I have this set sitting under the tree. Yikes. Have others had this issue with the disc(s) of the Singer journals?
Old 12-16-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by freshticles
Yep, my Brian Singer Journals disc does that too - it makes a noticeable extra spinning/rattling noise on the menu, and for the first couple of video journals - it goes away by the fourth or fifth journal, though. (I guess the disc is spinning at different speeds depending on which section is being read?) The DVD plays fine, there's just an extra noise underneath.

I looked at my disc and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and I had assumed it was just some slight incompatibility between my player and the disc, and since it played fine and the noise wasn't there most of the time, I decided not to worry about it.
Old 12-16-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
My journals disc is fine. No noise.... whew!
Old 12-17-06, 01:09 AM

Well, my replacement envelope came today.

Anyone else get one?
Old 12-17-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Yeah!!! Just got my envelope!! I will probably drop them off in the mail on Monday. Hopefully Warner will send out the replacements ASAP.
Old 12-17-06, 03:05 AM
LiK

i got my set last week from BB after the new release date. it seems this new batch has everything fixed. the Superman III disc is correct and i didn't get any weird noises with disc 14 with the video journals. i didn't get a chance to check the first disc but it has the option to choose the non5.1 track. seems like everything works fine. yay.
Old 12-17-06, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiK
i got my set last week from BB after the new release date. it seems this new batch has everything fixed. the Superman III disc is correct and i didn't get any weird noises with disc 14 with the video journals. i didn't get a chance to check the first disc but it has the option to choose the non5.1 track. seems like everything works fine. yay.
double check

This is how I tested in case anyone wants to give a listen. at 10:14 into the film the dome is opening up. As soon as the beam of light clears the tower, a sound effect is heard on The 5.1 mix, as well as the 2.0 english track. However the french track does not have the sound effect. The corrected version should also be absent this sound on the 2.0 english mix.
Old 12-17-06, 03:15 AM
LiK

double check
ok, i just checked. it has that little sound that you mentioned. i guess they didn't fix that. not a big deal since i prefer the 2000 release but i'll think about replacing it if WB has the fixed disc available.
Old 12-17-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so i got my copy from amazon and there are no special features on supes III. guess ill have to send them an email. guess that also means superman I needs replacing too.

Bummer......
Old 12-18-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got a replacement set from Amazon for a loose disc (sadly, the replacement set was also loose and in worse condition, so I'll land up keeping the original). But it has the correct version of Superman III (I still have to check on part I now that I saw here an indication of where to check). I have a somewhat different question as well. I'm a bit of a "pack rat", and like to keep everything. So my question is, do you think Amazon will care or notice if I keep the poster mail-away form since I have to mail the original...?
Old 12-18-06, 11:09 AM
Banned

I got my mailer today finally...some questions...

1) Do you have to send both disks to WB or can you just sent Superman III disk?

2) No where on the mailer does it say who the disk is coming from, how will they know who sent it? The return address on the mailer is a WB address...WTF?
Old 12-18-06, 11:43 AM
Banned

Just for clarification...

If the first disc has a second option for the audio it is the corrected disc?

Is the issue with the journal disc similar issue that is being corrected or just a random problem?

I'm sorry if these have been answered but it's really hard to get the correct info given the way these threads go. I really wish the first posts in threads like this one could be updated the final details so people like me wouldn't be confused wiht the conflicting posts on each page.
Old 12-18-06, 12:02 PM
Cool New Member

Got my mailer today. About time.
Old 12-18-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my mailer too. Hopefully it won't be a long wait for the new discs.
Old 12-18-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
If the first disc has a second option for the audio it is the corrected disc?
NO, check post #275 from Cameron to find out how to check it.

Dirk
Old 12-18-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966

2) No where on the mailer does it say who the disk is coming from, how will they know who sent it? The return address on the mailer is a WB address...WTF?
There is a hand written order code over the return address on the mailing label. That's the number they will use to tell who sent them the disc. They gave me that number when I called them initially. But, just in case I stuck a return address label on the back of the mailer.
Old 12-18-06, 02:07 PM
Banned

Why do I feel so nervous sending disks to WB, what happens if nothing ever comes back? Can you say "incomplete set"??
Old 12-18-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966

I was wondering the same thing. I'd assume it wouldn't matter if you just sent in SIII, but you never know.

Also, is anyone else going to spend extra $$$ for a verification when sending? Even though this system is like Netflix and have had little problems (one time a disc never showed up to their wharehouse), I'm hesitent in just sending it outright and hope it gets there.
Old 12-18-06, 02:39 PM

I'm sure if nothing comes back, you can call them and get it taken care of, etc.

Probably they're just going to send copies out to anyone who called intially though.
Old 12-18-06, 02:41 PM

Got my mailer, too. They screwed up my last name, but as long as they have my address right, who cares?

Derek

Last edited by BabyBomber#1; 12-18-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Anyone figure out yet if you're ONLY supposed to send back SUPERMAN III at this time, or send back both SUPERMAN I and III? I'm worried about sending both back and only getting SUPERMAN III in return. I can't believe they mailed these out without specifying...and don't feel like waiting an hour on the phone again to talk to CS.
Old 12-18-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Anyone figure out yet if you're ONLY supposed to send back SUPERMAN III at this time, or send back both SUPERMAN I and III? I'm worried about sending both back and only getting SUPERMAN III in return. I can't believe they mailed these out without specifying...and don't feel like waiting an hour on the phone again to talk to CS.
I got a letter with mine that is pretty detailed on which discs to send. It's Superman III and Superman I disc 1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.