Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Two-Disc Special edition Silence of the Lambs 1/30/07

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Buy some Goo Gone at Walmart for $3 bucks. Spray some on that glued area and wait about an hour, then get a paper towel. It should come off easily.
I'm talking about the paper slipcover. Goo Gone will eat right through!
Old 02-03-07, 04:39 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Exactly--been there, done that (on an embossed cover, no less, which SotL isn't), and quite a bit more than the goo ended up gone.
Old 02-03-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Why do people always sound like agreeing with me is akin to pulling teeth?

Then I'm curious--what is your favorite commentary? If it's better than this one, I must make the time to listen to it.
I didn't mean for it to sound like that, sorry. I do agree with you though, it is a really great commentary.

I've heard a lot of commentaries and for some reason the one that's always stuck out to me is the David Fincher, Ed Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter commentary for Fight Club. I'm not sure why but I really enjoy that one. Another favorite of mine is the John Carpenter, Kurt Russell commentary on Escape From New York.
Old 02-03-07, 05:42 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I didn't mean for it to sound like that, sorry. I do agree with you though, it is a really great commentary.
Just giving you a hard time; whenever someone agrees with me, it's rarely "I agree with Filmmaker...",. it's usually "I have to agree with Filmmaker...", like there's a gun to their head. It's been a long time since I felt some Filmmaker love on these boards, so now I see slights around every corner but, really, I was just messing with you.

I've heard a lot of commentaries and for some reason the one that's always stuck out to me is the David Fincher, Ed Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter commentary for Fight Club. I'm not sure why but I really enjoy that one. Another favorite of mine is the John Carpenter, Kurt Russell commentary on Escape From New York.
I haven't checked the FIGHT CLUB one out, but would really love to. I very strongly agree with you that the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK one was divine--I first appreciated it back in the LaserDisc days. Having said that, between EFNY's and SotL's commentaries, I prefer the latter; as fun as EFNY's was, I truly value the "film school on a disc" quality of SotL's.
Old 02-03-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I've used it on slipcovers hundreds of times and it only removes the glued part. I guess even Goo Gone is YMMV.
Old 02-03-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another favorite of mine is the John Carpenter, Kurt Russell commentary on Escape From New York.
I only gave the first 40 minutes of that commentary a chance and unfortunately was let down after all I heard about it's greatness. Carpenter seemed to dominate the track with Russel largely silent,and Carpenter mostly narrated what was happening in each scene,with a couple small bits of information tossed in. Does it pick up at all through the rest of the film?

Maybe I was spoiled by their The Thing commentary and Big Trouble In Little China commentary. Which are extremely entertaining since both parties are very lively and enthusiastic with plenty of stories to tell.
Old 02-03-07, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Maybe I was spoiled by their The Thing commentary and Big Trouble In Little China commentary. Which are extremely entertaining since both parties are very lively and enthusiastic with plenty of stories to tell.
Not to derail this thread, but even in The Thing, Carpenter mostly (from what I listened to, which wasn't the whole, er, thing...) narrated what was on screen.
Old 02-04-07, 07:56 AM
Banned

Yes, the Carpenter/Russell commentaries are less interesting from a "film school on a disc" perspective than a "two greats having a blast watching the movie with you" perspective; their brotherly rapport is a treat.
Old 02-04-07, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got tricked. I ordered the Hannibal Lecter set from AMAZON assuming that since the new SOTL was being released the same day, the set I ordered would include the new edition. Sadly, I was mistaken. Every movie was a barebone version, and it made me cry.

I had to buy the new Silence of the Lambs at WalMart.