New Two-Disc Special edition Silence of the Lambs 1/30/07

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't find it in Savannah, GA AT ALL.
Old 01-30-07, 07:50 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Tulsa, none at south Best Buy (not even shelf space for it), three at south Circuit City, tons at Wal-Mart; I never checked Target. Wonder what BB has stuck in their craw against this release...
Old 01-30-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I was in B&N today for the last day of the buy-one-TV-boxset-get-another-free sale, and I noticed they had one copy of the new Lambs disc....un-believeable.
Old 01-30-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to couple Best Buys here in Southern California. Nada.
I didn't have time to check any other stores.
Old 01-30-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
None at the Best Buy I went to. I'll just get it during the DDD sale in March... I already have the SE.
Old 01-30-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My Fred Meyer had a bunch of copies, as did a Wal-Mart I went to later. I got it for $19.99, but I got it.
Old 01-31-07, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this is off topic but what sale is ddd having in march?m is it for sure? i got the new sotl @ wal mart $19.99. target didnt have it today btw..i went there looking for that damned gladiator ee for $10!!!!
Old 01-31-07, 06:20 AM

My Target didn't have any of the new SOTL yesterday, but they had the crappy single disc pan & scan version on sale. So, is Circuit City the cheapest place to buy the box set? My CC sucks. It's a small store and lots of times they don't even get in new releases that are in their weekly ad.

Oh and thanks for the info regarding SOTL in the box set, GuruTwo!
Old 01-31-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
So yeah, you get a new "Manhunter" DVD and the first discs of the new "Silence" and old "Hannibal" DVD's.
Thanks for the info.
I'm gonna hold out for a single release of that new Manhunter. No way I'm buying a box just to get that.
Old 01-31-07, 07:39 AM

Neither Best Buy nor Target had any copies. I'll have to check Circuit City after work...
Old 01-31-07, 08:21 AM
Banned

Same here in MA, Best Buy had NO SOTL SE sets...Went to Walmart and they had plenty. What the hell is wrong with BB not to carry this dvd? Although I was not looking I don't recall seeing the Hannibal Lecter set either there. Plus to finish up a horrible shopping experience at BB they had NO Marine Unrated dvd's left...So to BB I give the finger this week!
Old 01-31-07, 10:41 AM

According to Best Buy's webite they do not carry it in stores.
Old 01-31-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this come with a slipcover?

Was tempted to pick this up, but if I did, I would have wanted to also acquire the rest of the Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lector collection (not the boxed set, but the other films in the series). That's a ton of money, though: The price of the director's cut of Red Dragon alone is exorbitant (not to mention the theatrical and director's cuts have different extras), and then there's the Criterion release of Silence for the commentary. Wasn't prepared to go that crazy right now. One day.

--THX
Old 01-31-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprised with all the "in stock" issues here with this release, I just walked into a Wal-Mart and bought it on sale for $17 bucks and change on Tues with the slipcover and all.
Old 01-31-07, 10:55 PM
Banned

The price of the director's cut of Red Dragon alone is exorbitant (not to mention the theatrical and director's cuts have different extras),
You're confused.

The only Lecter film with alternate cuts is "Manhunter". When it comes to "Red Dragon" there's only one cut of the film: the theatrical cut, and it's available in two editions: a Collector's Edition and a Director's Edition which is merely the CE with a second disc. When it was first released people confused the "Director's Edition" title with "Director's Cut" but rest assured the DC is the same as the CE with more, and if you buy it you aren't missing out on any "Red Dragon" DVD content.

As for "Manhunter", that's a whole different ball of wax. If you want everything "Manhunter" related on DVD you'll want to get:

OOP 2-disc Limited Edition Anchor Bay release:

Disc 1: weird hybrid cut, two featurettes, good transfer, missing footage
Disc 2: director's cut: longest version of the film (but still missing footage), no extras, sub-VHS picture quality

OOP Anchor Bay "Restored Director's Cut"
Almost as long as other "director's cut" but with several small changes. Picture quality is good in cases of "common" footage but dips when taken from the added DC footage. Includes Michael Mann commentary.

MGM widescreen disc (available only in "Hannibal Lecter Collection")
Only theatrical version on DVD in R1, only cut that features the "sympathy" dialogue between Graham and Will.

All three releases (the 2-disc LE, the RDC and the theatrical disc) feature the same trailer.

When it comes to "Hannibal" you can just get the 2-disc set and have everything but with "Silence" you'll primarily want to get MGM's new Collector's Edition but you'll also want to track down the Criterion for the commentary, some text-based supplements and a handful of deleted scenes that didn't make it onto MGM's disc.
Old 02-01-07, 03:21 AM

guru..you sure do have all of the info on these films dont you? do you think getting the cc sotl is worth it just for the commentary..is it really that informative? So the directors edition just has a few more features than the ce for red dragon? do you think they will release the new manhunter seperately or will one just have to buy the whole boxset?
Old 02-01-07, 05:28 AM
Banned

guru..you sure do have all of the info on these films dont you?
Well yeah I actually own all of these releases. The original Image "Silence" disc is pretty much the only one I've never owned and that was a strictly bare-bones affair (and I think nonanamorphic, too).

do you think getting the cc sotl is worth it just for the commentary..
That's really hard to say. In all honesty it really is one of the best commentary tracks ever, it features Jonathan Demme, Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Ted Tally and John Douglas and it's very informative. That said it's hard to justify spending $75-100 for a commentary. Of course, like I said there are some deleted scenes on the Criterion disc that didn't make it to either the MGM SE or CE (which has everything on the SE and more) but it's still hard to rationalize that much money for a commentary and deleted footage in any case.

So the directors edition just has a few more features than the ce for red dragon?
Yeah, it's the CE plus a second disc, and it is a pretty substantial disc. There's a behind-the-scenes doc that is actually really in-depth and well-made and some other assorted goodies like makeup tests and stuff. Once again it's a case where buying the DE outweighs the CE substantially (you can usually come across the CE for like $5) but the DE is a packed edition that really doesn't disappoint.

do you think they will release the new manhunter seperately or will one just have to buy the whole boxset?
That's hard to say. I really have no idea. Sometimes when these box sets are released the individual DVD cases included will have UPC's and inserts and stuff and be ready for individual releases somewhere along the line and that's not the case here, the disc included is in a slimcase with no UPC so it's not something MGM/Fox could release "as is" somewhere down the line. On the other hand they did go to the trouble of pressing a new "Manhunter" disc with the widescreen transfer so it's not as if they're opposed to throwing a little money this movie's way. It's really anybody's guess.
Old 02-01-07, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Does this come with a slipcover?
I saw this at Wal-Mart last night and it did have a slipcover.

Zack
Old 02-01-07, 08:37 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by bgmat58
do you think getting the cc sotl is worth it just for the commentary..is it really that informative?
Only you can determine worth, which I know is difficult for a track you've never heard but, for whatever it's worth, I still say the commentary on THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: Criterion Collection is--bar none--the best, most intelligent and most insightful commentary track I've ever heard.
Old 02-01-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The inside cover is not the same as the awesome green "notebook" cover art, so if you liked that art then be sure to find it with a slipcover. I hate how stores are never careful with those anymore, the "punched-out" barcode thing on the copies I saw at Fred Meyer were already beat up and one was torn.

Eventually I'll get around to buying Manhunter, but whenever I have to "collect" a release, I always want to get it all at once. I have the CC SotL, Hannibal 2-disc and Red Dragon DE though, and disc 1 alone is one of the last great "Collector's Edition" releases from Universal, before they stopped caring.
Old 02-01-07, 12:09 PM

I'm glad I got the Japanese Manhunter for a good price, so I don't have to get this stupid box.
Old 02-02-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bgmat58
do you think getting the cc sotl is worth it just for the commentary..is it really that informative?
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Only you can determine worth, which I know is difficult for a track you've never heard but, for whatever it's worth, I still say the commentary on THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: Criterion Collection is--bar none--the best, most intelligent and most insightful commentary track I've ever heard.
I am going to have to agree with Filmmaker on this one. I just finished watching the CC version w/commentary about an hour ago and I really enjoyed it. While not my favorite commentary, it was a very, very good one that I would reccomend.

I found this disc used in pretty good condition for $21.99 at a Wherehouse Music near me. My guess is that it hadn't been there very long and someone had just sold it to them because of the new CE. So, if you are going to look for this release in stores, now would be the time.

I thought the picture on the CC version is very nice. I have the MGM SE and I prefer the CC version. It's a little grainy but gives off amazing detail that I believe is lost in the MGM SE version.

I believe it is worth the extra money.
Old 02-02-07, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I am going to have to agree with Filmmaker on this one.
Why do people always sound like agreeing with me is akin to pulling teeth?

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
While not my favorite commentary, it was a very, very good one that I would reccomend.
Then I'm curious--what is your favorite commentary? If it's better than this one, I must make the time to listen to it.
Old 02-03-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Caution

Just got mine in from Amazon.com:

The Slipcover is awesome, but there is a "Hannibal Rising" promo sticker affixed to it, using cheap George Costanza wedding invitation glue, and it has left a nasty, sticky residue all over it......thanks douchebags.
Old 02-03-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Just got mine in from Amazon.com:

The Slipcover is awesome, but there is a "Hannibal Rising" promo sticker affixed to it, using cheap George Costanza wedding invitation glue, and it has left a nasty, sticky residue all over it......thanks douchebags.
Buy some Goo Gone at Walmart for $3 bucks. Spray some on that glued area and wait about an hour, then get a paper towel. It should come off easily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.