DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How The West Was Won Ultimate Collector's Edition - August 26th

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How The West Was Won Ultimate Collector's Edition - August 26th

How the West Was Won

The wondrous western historical saga How the West Was Won gallops onto home theatre screens August 26th in three new restored and remastered editions. One of only two narrative feature films produced in the original Cinerama(R) three-panel widescreen process, How the West Was Won is a stunning epic, following four generations of a courageous New England farm family asthey travel to the fertile Ohio Valley during America's early westward expansion.
As well as a remastered and restored widescreen presentation, the 2-disc release will include a Film Historian Commentary, Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure, Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette), and the original theatrical trailer.

This ultimate western film gets the Ultimate treatment with How the West Was Won Ultimate Collector's Edition ($59.92 SRP). The two disc Standard Definition Ultimate Collector's Edition is loaded with collectible memorabilia including a 20-page theatrical press book reproduction, 10 behind-the-scenes photo cards and 10 postcards, and an exclusive movie poster offer. Streeting simultaneously will also be a glorious Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def ($34.99 SRP) version. Exclusive to Blu-ray is the "SmileBox" version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama(R) experience in a home theater. This Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def Edition comes with a special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos. The third new edition is a Two Disc-Special Edition in standard definition ($20.97 SRP).
Old 04-28-08, 06:03 PM
Banned

Pcked up the snapper re-release of this last summer but still have not watched it....Probably end up picking up the 2-disk SE.....They are charging WAYYYYYY too much for the box set which I dont need anyways.
Old 04-28-08, 06:13 PM

Cue the anti Digi-book...

All's I know is this sounds great and I can't wait to pick it up on Blu-ray with that beautifull book packaging. Right now Bonnie and Clyde looks lonely and out of place in the collection, but next to Dirty Harry and this movie it'll look great.
Old 04-29-08, 03:15 AM

Fantastic news. I've been waiting years for this to be done right. I'll be buying both SD and BD versions beause the extras are different.
Old 04-29-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm totally getting this...

i love this film...

Jimmy Stewart with that chair right into the camera...

the river of blood... i grew up near Bloody Pond...
Old 04-29-08, 03:59 AM

I actually saw this film as a child theatrically for the first time in a Cinerama theater. It is the only commercial film (other than some documentaries and travel features) that was ever made in the true Cinerama process and the effects, especially the buffalo stampede, were awesome.

This is an era of film making that is long gone. Frankly, it's a lot more exciting to see the big set pieces in this movie than a CGI spectacular of today because everything was real then, and dangerous (a stunt man was killed during the train robbery sequence, which is still the best set piece of its type every filmed).

While nothing compares with the experience of seeing this movie in a theater that is set up for it, the original DVD release, which dates from before the turn of the century, is especially disappointing for a film of this importance from a technical film-making standpoint. I will definitely be getting this one when it comes out.
Old 04-29-08, 06:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to hear this is finally being done right...
Old 04-29-08, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Echoing everyone else's thoughts in anticipating this.

Was hoping to read a little about the restoration efforts. Sometimes films need remastering; sometimes anamorphic widescreen.

HTWWW, on the other hand, needs MAJOR work. If I remember correctly, the master prints filmed in Cinerama were cropped for television...evidently no one ever anticipated re-releasing the film theatrically or envisioned a home video market. Thus, the "restored" film that we have been seeing these past years have the vertical lines running down each side and the mismatched color tones on the right & left.

I've often wondered if modern technology could correct the color & remove the lines to once again give the seamless image of the original (of course, I guess some theater audiences had to put up with the 'lines' if multiple screens were required. I can remember sitting in theaters with the wide, wide screens that were covered with curtains which would slowly be drawn open as the movie began. Exciting memory!

Anyway, here's hoping the film finally gets the treatment it deserves.

Anybody have a link to any info. about the restoration? Thanks.
Old 04-29-08, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc release of the restored and remastered edition of How The West Won on 26th August 2008 priced at $34.99 SRP. One of only two narrative feature films produced in the original Cinerama® three-panel widescreen process, How the West Was Won follows four generations of a courageous New England farm family as they travel to the fertile Ohio Valley during America’s early westward expansion.

M-G-M and Cinerama®, Inc. spared no expense to give this sprawling Western saga the huge vistas made possible with the original Cinerama® process. After its initial theatrical engagements in theaters equipped with three synchronized projectors for Cinerama® presentation, the film was subsequently presented on traditional theater screens with the three separate Cinerama® panels being optically joined to form a standard 35mm 2.35:1 widescreen image, leaving most subsequent viewers puzzled by the annoying ‘join lines.’

Following several years of careful development, the technicians at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging perfected a technology that could finally eliminate the ‘join lines,’ and unify the images into a superb viewing experience that captures the essence of the production’s initial road show exhibitions, with an aspect ratio of 2.89:1.

Arriving day-and-date with the new DVD release, the Blu-ray release offers an exclusive in the form of the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. This Blu-ray Edition comes with a special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos.

Some of Hollywood’s biggest stars, including John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Richard Widmark, Gregory Peck, Lee J. Cobb, Debbie Reynolds and Carroll Baker star in How the West Was Won. Set between 1839 and 1889 against the backgrounds of the Louisiana Purchase, the Civil War, buffalo hunters, the Pony Express and the first transcontinental railroad, the film consists of five segments, with direction by Henry Hathaway, John Ford and George Marshall, and written by James R. Webb and John Gay, suggested by a Life Magazine series of the same name. The film was the winner of 3 Academy Awards® (Best Screenplay, Best Sound and Best Editing) as well as being nominated for an additional five Oscars®, including Best Picture. In 1997, How the West Was Won was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the US National Film Registry.

How the West Was Won Special Features:

Film Historian Commentary
Dave Strohmaier’s critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure
The Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette)
Original Theatrical trailer
Old 04-29-08, 11:02 AM
Banned

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...t-was-won.html

Dang..That UCE box is actually rather pretty. Still I dont think I can spend an additional $40 just on the packaging and booklets and such (unless I can find it for a really good price.....)
Overall it looks like WB is handling this release quite well.
Old 04-29-08, 01:47 PM
Cool New Member

The UCE seems comparable to The Searchers and Rio Bravo UCEs, but the SRP is $20 more? If I can get it for around the same price as either of those two, I'll bite. And I'd really like to, too.
Old 04-29-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "SmileBox" presentation on the Blu-ray should be interesting. This will be a must buy.
Old 04-29-08, 07:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for the technical info., Giles. Will definitely put this one on the list!
Old 04-29-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sucks that the UCE cannot be obtained as Blu Ray. Hated that about Bonnie and Clyde also.
Old 04-30-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper

HTWWW, on the other hand, needs MAJOR work. If I remember correctly, the master prints filmed in Cinerama were cropped for television...evidently no one ever anticipated re-releasing the film theatrically or envisioned a home video market. Thus, the "restored" film that we have been seeing these past years have the vertical lines running down each side and the mismatched color tones on the right & left.
I recall that they transferred the film to 65mm for editing, then conformed the 3-panel 35mm negative to their 65mm workprint positive. Then they used the 65mm positive to make the 35mm scope dupe negative for 35mm prints. This explains the poor panel matching and why the prints had so much damage.
Old 04-30-08, 08:10 AM
Suspended

I can't wait to experience the SmileBox effect... even if it means I will finally have to buy a BluRay player. I also wonder whether this SmileBox is an option and if the BluRay film can ve viewed without it.
Old 04-30-08, 08:34 AM

I just found my HTWWW Warner Bros. copy I bought almost three years ago at Walmart for 7.50. It is widescreen (the back says presented in a "letterbox" widescreen format preserving the "scope" aspect ratio of its original 35mm theatrical exhibition. ) Special feature has behind-the-scenes documentary of how it was made.

I haven't viewed it lately but I seem to recall the lines are obvious.

I remember seeing the movie in San Antonio in Cinerama when I was stationed there and was amazed at the scope and sound of the technology at that time.

Only at such time I convert to BD will I consider a new version. Right now buying gas is more important!
Old 04-30-08, 10:25 AM
Suspended

The existing version is badly cropped left and tight (more on the right than the left). I don't think it's even anamorphic.

I'm very happy for the new technology that melds the three screen images and the Smilebox process which may trick the viewer into thinking he's sitting in front of a curved screen: http://www.cineramaadventure.com/smilebox.htm

Last edited by baracine; 04-30-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I actually saw this film as a child theatrically for the first time in a Cinerama theater. It is the only commercial film (other than some documentaries and travel features) that was ever made in the true Cinerama process and the effects, especially the buffalo stampede, were awesome.
Actually, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056700/technical) was also shot and shown in 3-screen Cinerama.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3fKZ1Yz-Kk&hl=fr"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3fKZ1Yz-Kk&hl=fr" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 04-30-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 10:37 AM

I can't wait to see the extra full length feature included on the disc:

Cinerama Adventure

Old 04-30-08, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giles
I can't wait to see the extra full length feature included on the disc:

Cinerama Adventure

More on this: http://www.cineramaadventure.com/index.htm#buttons

Trailer: http://www.cineramaadventure.com/cin...uretrailer.wmv

Of course, none of this can compete with the Cinerama 5000 process:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCop5_QE7_E&hl=fr"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCop5_QE7_E&hl=fr" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 04-30-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 12:58 PM

here's a pic of the bluray version:

Old 04-30-08, 01:00 PM

I was thinking It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad (enought "Mads?) World was flmed and first shown in Cinerama?
Old 04-30-08, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker
I was thinking It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad (enought "Mads?) World was flmed and first shown in Cinerama?
well, that's the next film that should see full restoration for a 'special edition' release (HiDef in particular).
Old 04-30-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Flicker
if wikipedia is correct, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" was not filmed in true 3-strip Cinerama. it was filmed in single-camera Ultra Panavision 70 and presented in 70mm Cinerama.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.