DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Payback : Director's Cut rumored for 2007 release (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/481583-payback-directors-cut-rumored-2007-release.html)

dx23 10-23-06 03:43 PM

Payback : Director's Cut rumored for 2007 release

Davisdvd.com is reporting in their rumor mill, that the film Payback, starring Mel Gibson, is going to be released in a new, director's cut edition. More info on this potential release here:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumor.html

DVDFreaker 10-23-06 03:55 PM

Sweet, will sell the old edition and get the new one

dvd_luver 10-23-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Sweet, will sell the old edition and get the new one

Sweet indeed, but hold on just a second there DVDfreaker. The new edition was stated as being a directors cut and even has a new film title, that alone for me warrants keeping my old Paramount DVD. The film being a directors cut and all will be different for sure and if I don't like it by chance, at least I can still go back and spin the Paramount release if I do double-dip. So if I do, I will hold onto it for sure. Unless this will be a 2-discer with both a DC and TC of the film.

TheKing 10-23-06 04:46 PM

Yeah, this isn't just a slight change to the film, Payback went through massive reshoots, including the addition of Kris Kristofferson's character, and an entire new third act. It's a gritty film, most of the humor is gone from it.

Basically it's a new film, and I doubt both versions would be sold together.

flyboy 10-23-06 07:01 PM

Why?

kevkev 10-24-06 08:36 AM

theres an article on aint it cool. i think brian helgeland was sacked and reshoots took place. mostly the last third of the film. i've had a poor bootleg of it for years and it is a better film and is worth seeing. payback: straight up as it's now being called looks like will be getting a dvd release after some screenings at a texas film festival i think. the ending rocks. looks on imdb.com for the differences.

Bandit03 10-24-06 08:39 AM

Cool, I had no idea that this movie even went through reshoots. Looking for ward to it.

Snowmaker 10-24-06 09:22 AM

Payback: Anti-Semitic Edition :whofart:

On a side note, since when do sex toys appear in the upper-left REVIEW section? This is in the upper corner as I'm typing this.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24484

meritocracy 10-24-06 09:38 AM

Interesting news, as I never seriously thought this would see the light of day and get a legitimate release. Looks like I can replace the years old bootleg I've had of this cut.

Geofferson 10-24-06 09:41 AM

Harry has seen this cut already:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30466

DonnachaOne 10-24-06 09:48 AM

(Donnacha marches into Paramount DVD releasing)

D: Where's my Payback Director's Cut?

PDR: Who are you?

D: Payback Director's Cut, yes or no?

PDR: Fuck you!

(Donnacha breaks Paramount DVD Releasing's nose)

PDR: Aagh! God! What the hell! WHy'd you do that!

D: I want my Payback Director's Cut. Who can get it for me?

PDR: Well, we have to look at popular demand, see if there's a market... have to gauge responses... put it to committee...

D: One man. You go high enough you find one man.

(PDR scribbles an address)

-------------------------------------------------

Back soon with an official announcement.

Giles 10-24-06 09:51 AM

ohhhh, Payback, not Paycheck.... :D

clappj 10-24-06 10:19 AM

Payback:"Gimme Back My Son!" Edition

dx23 10-24-06 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by clappj
Payback:"Gimme Back My Son!" Edition

That's Ransom, not Payback.

Doughboy 10-24-06 10:55 AM

This is good news. I can finally retire my 5th generation VHS dubbed copy of the original cut.

Honestly for all the hype people gave Helgeland's version, I didn't really find it superior to the theatrical cut. I liked the little added bits that made Gibson less likable, but the ending was way too abrupt. Kris Kristofferson's character was originally played by the voice of Angie Dickinson(who was in Point Blank which was based on the same novel) and she gave in way too easily to Porter.

Davy Mack 10-24-06 03:14 PM

"Payback: the mel gets tortured more than Christ did" edition...

slop101 10-24-06 04:03 PM

"Payback: The Lens-Filter Is Stuck" edition...

DarthVong 12-19-06 09:27 PM

Payback: Straight Up Director's Cut to be released on Standard and HD-DVD on April 10th according to DavisDVD.com

www.davisdvd.com/news/hddvd

mdc3000 12-19-06 10:19 PM

This is a must buy for me...I love Payback.

Michael Corvin 12-20-06 06:50 AM

I love it too. I haven't watched it in a while though. Maria Bello is excellent in it as well. It will be interesting to see the changes.

GIjon213 12-20-06 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
That's Ransom, not Payback.

Doesn't he kidnap some rich guys kid? I haven't seen it in some time, but I am pretty sure the kid gets a Ferrari for his birthday.

Grubert 12-20-06 08:18 AM

"I'm tired of running away. Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Geofferson 12-20-06 08:22 AM

Glad to finally hear of a release date for this. :up:

dolphinboy 12-23-06 05:51 PM

I've always had a rule, 600 dvds later and it's never been broken, of never owning 2 copies of the same dvd. Pick 1 and go with it.

This will be the first title that will break that rule. I like the version that I have and that review basically says this new release is almost an entirely different film.

Artman 12-23-06 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Honestly for all the hype people gave Helgeland's version, I didn't really find it superior to the theatrical cut.

Yeah I'm not so sure I'd like this version better. I liked the first cut pretty much just the way it was. Hopefully that version will get a hi def release sometime in the near future as well.