DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 2nd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge(11/20-12/25) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/481407-its-beginning-look-lot-like-2nd-annual-holiday-movie-challenge-11-20-12-25-a.html)

The Monkees 10-21-06 01:16 PM

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 2nd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge(11/20-12/25)

Well it's that time of year again, with the Horror Movie Challenge almost over, it's time to start thinking about the future. That's right, the 2nd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge.

This year the rules have changed a bit to help everyone watch as much as possible, and still deal with the holidays, families, etc.

HERE ARE THE OFFICIAL RULES:

-All movies must be watched between 12AM on November 20th Through 11:59PM on December 25th. No movies or TV shows will be counted before November 20th or After December 25th.
-Movies can only be watched once, unless it's a remake (i.e. Miracle on 34th Street, both versions).
-Movies can be watched again, with a commentary.
-Movies don't have to be holiday oriented, the movies can just take place during the holiday season, but not be directly holiday oriented (i.e. Die Hard, Batman Returns, Gremlins, etc.)
-Unlike last year, TV show episodes can be included. This has been added to help everyone add to their list, since there are not as many holiday movies as there are horror movies.
-Even though the movie doesn't take place during Christmas during the whole movie, It's a Wonderful Life can be included because it's a holiday classic and shown every year.
-The film must take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film must take place during the holiday season. You cannot watch a film or TV show that has a short clip during the holiday season then the rest of the film takes place during some other time.
-Finally, don't limit yourself to DVDs, watch movies or TV shows on TV, see films in the theater or watch a good old VHS or Laserdisc. The main thing is to have fun!!

THE OFFICIAL GAME BEGINS AT 12AM ON NOVEMBER 20TH. THE GOAL IS TO HIT 50 MOVIES OR TV SHOWS DURING THIS TIME.

EVERYONE ENJOY!

RobCA 10-21-06 01:22 PM

I'm in! :up:

Rob

JOE29 10-21-06 02:52 PM

Sorry but i'm skipping this one, not because it's not good, because it is, but I don't think I watch enough holiday programming to be involved. Also, this is just a thought , how about we pick a month after the holiday's to do a comedy challenge? Again, this is just a thought.

Eric D. 10-21-06 04:51 PM

I'll give it a shot.

LBCrazyFool 10-21-06 05:30 PM

I'm in again this year.

RobCA 10-21-06 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
this is just a thought , how about we pick a month after the holiday's to do a comedy challenge? Again, this is just a thought.

Ooo, I like that idea! Maybe April, in honor of April Fool's Day. :D

Rob

grem458 10-21-06 10:43 PM

I love holiday movies. I'm in. "A Christmas Carol," here I come!

noitulove 10-21-06 11:07 PM

Im in also

mrpeavey 10-22-06 09:14 AM

What the heck? I'm in. I don't know how many films I'll watch, though. :)

Ethan VanSciver 10-22-06 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by grem458
I love holiday movies. I'm in. "A Christmas Carol," here I come!

Which version? George C. Scott's version is very, very good.

DVDMagic 10-22-06 09:17 AM

Yeah, I'll be in for this one. Currently having fun with the horror one. Are we going to have a seperate thread to list movies as well?

ivelostr2 10-22-06 10:13 AM

Im in I think...

advdfreak 10-22-06 12:40 PM

Count me in. I know November will be catch up month for me after the Horror Movie Challenge. I have accumulated about 75 new movies I need to watch!

ZackR 10-22-06 01:51 PM

I am definitely in. :D

ZackR 10-22-06 01:59 PM

Quick question: Are we including Thanksgiving material under "Holiday"? I assume so, since we are starting the week of Thanksgiving, but just curious. :)

The Monkees 10-22-06 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Are we going to have a seperate thread to list movies as well?

Yes, that will be posted probably a few days before November 20

Originally Posted by ZackR
Quick question: Are we including Thanksgiving material under "Holiday"? I assume so, since we are starting the week of Thanksgiving, but just curious.

Yes, any holiday that happens during the end of the year around that time. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanza, Hanuakah (forgive my spelling), New Years, etc.

ZackR 10-22-06 04:44 PM

Cool. :) Can't wait!

Matt.train 10-22-06 04:55 PM

I will be in too.

FantasticVSDoom 10-22-06 08:27 PM

In like last year...I havent been posting my movies in the Halloween thread (so damn busy lately) but the Holiday season I will be there.

grem458 10-22-06 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Which version? George C. Scott's version is very, very good.

That one, the 1938 Reginald Owen, 1951 Alistair Sim, '99 Patrick Stewart, American Christmas Carol, '35 Scrooge, 1970 musical Scrooge with Albert Finney (a Christmas Eve tradition in my house), Muppets, Mr. Magoo, Mickey Mouse's, Stingiest Man in Town (Rankin/Bass production), and any other one I can get my hands on!

wordtoyamotha 10-23-06 03:09 PM

I'm in :up:

Muppet Christmas Carol in Widescreen glory!!

Muad'Dib 10-25-06 07:36 AM

I'm in too. Glad that TV shows and other stuff can be included this year. I definately do not have as much xmas movies as horror.

starman9000 10-26-06 05:53 AM

I think Ill try this. Are there any good Thanksgiving movies out there besides Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? All I can think of is Pieces of April, but that doesn't really feel the same.

Kman1011 10-26-06 01:39 PM

The wife and I are in!!

OwlAtHome 10-26-06 02:10 PM

I'm in too. I need this, I'm so burnt out on horror. I've watched nothing else since October 1st!