Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Older movie transfers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Older movie transfers

Why is it, that on most older movie transfers, the image jumps? Sometimes, it's just the opening credits or logo. Other times, it happens every now and then. Then sometimes, the whole movie jumps. Is there anyway this can be corrected by studios? Or is it totally impossible?
Old 10-14-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I think it's called gate flutter. It's when the sprocket holes of the film strip get stretched so the gears don't have a firm grip as they play them and that causes the jump as they transfer to tape for home video. It could also be when a frame gets damaged and they snip it out and don't tape the ends back together well.

I'm pretty sure it can be corrected by computer but that takes time and money and some companies just don't care.
Old 10-14-06, 09:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think it's called gate flutter. It's when the sprocket holes of the film strip get stretched so the gears don't have a firm grip as they play them and that causes the jump as they transfer to tape for home video. It could also be when a frame gets damaged and they snip it out and don't tape the ends back together well.

I'm pretty sure it can be corrected by computer but that takes time and money and some companies just don't care.
Yep, often times you'll notice movies that have a fairly big re-release don't have this problem, but the smaller movies do.
Old 10-14-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting article on this subject here:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/special/ben-hurdvd4.htm