DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Da Vinci Code - Extended Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Da Vinci Code - Extended Edition

Originally Posted by KristoVaher
I had the same question and was actually quite, quite annoyed to see that they'll try to force people to buy a blu-ray to get the extended edition. But thankfully there is an R2 release that is on DVD and released in Germany, available through Amazon.de.

I cannot post URL's yet, but make a search for 'Da Vinci Code Extended' in Amazon.de.

This is the first DVD I've really noticed not available from UK's Amazon and from the States. I was not exactly a fan of the movie, but it's part of my dvd collection and I'm a sucker for everything extended or director's cut.
If they are trying to force people to go with blue ray, there are many titles that they could have used that would have had more appeal than the DaVinci Code. I own the original dvd release, and would probably pick up an extended edition on dvd, but would certainly not buy a blue ray player jsut to get the extended version.
I would say that the dvd will probably come out around the release of the new movie, but the movie comes out in less than two weeks now. Maybe when the new movie hits dvd.
Old 05-03-09, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They would not do that with a major release just out of the blue, this would seriously cut into their profits. But doing it with a minor release that will have some interest by movie fans and dvdcollectioners, they can improve blu-ray sales and encourage more people to think about going blu-ray.

It's a smart move financially and for their blu-ray campaign, just a crappy one for fans of DVD's who don't really need to see the movie in higher definition. I myself have an upsampling quality player which plays DVD's in really great quality and there's no way I feel the need to convert to blu-ray and pay about 20% more for new movies.

But yeah, you can count on the DVD option from Germany. I highly doubt this will be released on regular DVD, at least not in the near future.
Old 05-03-09, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's also been out in Australia for about 2 years now. It also goes on sale for all of about $12 every now and then, so it's worth keeping an eye on.