Saturday Night Live: The Complete First Season - 12/5/2006

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Saturday Night Live: The Complete First Season - 12/5/2006

Old 10-13-06, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Saturday Night Live Season 1 in December

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Saturday Night Live: The Complete First Season for 5th December 2006 priced at $69.98 SRP. Nicknamed the "Not Ready for Primetime Players," the original cast of Saturday Night Live ignited a comedy revolution with their mix of irreverent characters and satirical impressions of political figures and pop culture icons.

From the premiere of this groundbreaking sketch comedy show on October 11, 1975, live from historical Studio 8H in New York City's Rockefeller Center, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, Garrett Morris, Laraine Newman, and Gilda Radner launched themselves into instant stardom and were often referred to as "The Beatles of Comedy."

Created by Lorne Michaels over three decades ago, few other shows have had the cultural impact and relevance of Saturday Night Live.

Nowhere else can you see the complete first season of SNL, featuring hosts George Carlin, Rob Reiner, Lily Tomlin, Richard Pryor, Elliott Gould, Candace Bergen, or original musical performances by Simon & Garfunkle, ABBA, Patti Smith, Jimmy Cliff, and Carly Simon. And if you're curious as to how the original cast was hired, check out the DVD bonus features that include the screen tests of each performer.

The shows are spread across 8 discs presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English Stereo sound. Beyond the screen tests confirmed above, extras are TBC, though we do know the set comes with a “Limited Edition Photo Book with Rare SNL Photos of the Cast and Lorne Michaels (32-pages)”.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63017

Limited Edition Booklet - nice!
Old 10-13-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Damn that would be great to see all of these in their entirety!
Old 10-13-06, 09:19 AM
Suspended

First, wow... hell just froze over.

Second, I'd imagine that there might be a musical performace here and there that won't be included due to rights issues. But the sketches will most likely all be there.

However, the press release does stress "complete".
Old 10-13-06, 10:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did a school play with Denny Dillon. She surprisingly, was free.
Old 10-13-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
wow. I'm old enough to remember s1 and what a sensation the show was and I had completely forgotten some of these. (I don't remember Dick Cavett doing SNL at all!)

The Ron Nessen name seemed familiar but I had to do a web search to remind me that he was President Ford's press secretary.

The run time issue is hard to figure. What I can offer is that some of the 90 minute Dick Cavett shows that are now available on DVD (or on TCM) run about 68 minutes without commercials, so for a late night 90 minute show in the mid 70s, 66 minutes could be about right.
Old 10-13-06, 12:59 PM

Guys, I've been updating our original story as news comes in...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6503

I've confirmed with Broadway Video that these episodes are uncut, and that ALL the musical performances are in there.

Gord
Old 10-13-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kind of got out of TV on DVD for a while, but SNL will definately bring me back. I will get every complete season set released, no question.
Old 10-13-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
I've confirmed with Broadway Video that these episodes are uncut, and that ALL the musical performances are in there.

Gord
woah.

I can't say that i'll buy every season of this, but I will definitely be buying quite a few...
Old 10-13-06, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JayDerek
woah.

I can't say that i'll buy every season of this, but I will definitely be buying quite a few...
I would. I'd buy every single season. It'll be worth it to trash all those tapes.
Old 10-13-06, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Graystone
How quckily will they release these is the biggest question. I can't see being 51 years old when the the 30th season set comes out.
If only!
Old 10-13-06, 02:17 PM

I'll by all the seasons. I loved the early 90's the best but I am going to get the earlier years because I wasn't born when it first started. I hope when the dvds get to farley and hartman around there final season they should include the E! True Hollywood Story that was done on them.
Old 10-13-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
I started watching SNL on premier night, and am very excited to hear this! Now, when will we get a complete set of Fridays (my DVD-Rs of crappy 2nd and 3rd generation VHS and beta recordings are getting old)?
Old 10-13-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think they should try and release these in "era" sets, so people who want later stuff aren't waiting forever.
No way I want to see "era" sets at the expense of missing great bits from the first group, or the musical performances of those early seasons.....
Old 10-13-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
I just did a school play with Denny Dillon. She surprisingly, was free.
Does she usually charge?

Old 10-13-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I do hope they stick with it and release more than just the first season. Warner released Season 1 of MadTV, then stopped and went to best ofs. Obviously SNL has a much bigger following, but still.
Old 10-13-06, 10:42 PM

Are most of you just assuming that they are going to be releasing more sets beyond this season one set or am I missing something? Although I agree it would be awesome if they released every single season in its entirety, but I seriously doubt it. They couldn't get them out fast enough and still give them the right treatment. In addition, I don't think the sales would justify the pain it would be to get all the music rights (that is, of course, unless musical acts that appear on the show have been signing their rights away for their SNL performances)
Old 10-13-06, 11:40 PM

So has the Muppet stuff ever aired in syndication?

I hope "Uncut" means "As Originally Aired Live." In fact, if they really want to put together a definitive package, in instances where they used a rehearsal take for the West Coast airing they could include both versions as a bonus for comparison.
Old 10-14-06, 12:19 AM

Uncut EP? OH GREAT!!!

Originally Posted by Geist
So has the Muppet stuff ever aired in syndication?
Yes. They were part of the 60-minutes show format.

I hope "Uncut" means "As Originally Aired Live." In fact, if they really want to put together a definitive package, in instances where they used a rehearsal take for the West Coast airing they could include both versions as a bonus for comparison.
Hehe.

According to info taken on the SNL Bulletin Board, Kris Kristopherson was so drunk and Louise Lasser was so wild even Lorne Michaels wants those two EPs to never run again. He obviously change his mind.
Old 10-14-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
If/when they get to the early-mid 80s, it would be awesome if they could include the Leon Redbone Budweiser commercials on the sets somewhere.
Old 10-14-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd buy all of these right through to the end of the Eddie Murphy years.
Old 10-14-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anybody else remember the live commercials that they did for a few shows in season one? The only one I remember was Candice Bergen for Polaroid, but I think there were a few others, maybe all for Polaroid. Have these been shown when the show has been re-broadcast (I've caught a few repeats but am not a determined watcher)? IIRC these flowed into the show and weren't really standalone, so I think one could tell if they were edited out.

If I'm wrong, remember that I haven't seen this since 1975.
Old 10-14-06, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Cinoche78
Uncut EP? OH GREAT!!!

According to info taken on the SNL Bulletin Board, Kris Kristopherson was so drunk and Louise Lasser was so wild even Lorne Michaels wants those two EPs to never run again. He obviously change his mind.
Hopefully this means that the Milton Berle episode will be included when they get to it
Old 10-14-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I remember watching SNL back in the 70's where they would pan to someone in the audience before the commercial break and put some hilarious comment under them. I hope they include those bits too, and also the phony show cancellations they'd announce at the beginning of the show from time to time, such as, "Little House that burned down on the Prairie, won't be shown at this time, so that we can bring you..." - that one was a classic, I still remember it!
Old 10-14-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, this is one of those DVD announcements that I thought I would never hear.
Old 10-14-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I also JUST had burned onto disc, all my SNL compilation videos - from 1975 up thru the mid-90's! Luckily I was able to sell off them on eBay! Oh well...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.