DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Several NBA Releases and Re-releases on 12/5/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/480323-several-nba-releases-re-releases-12-5-06-a.html)

dx23 10-10-06 04:07 PM

Several NBA Releases and Re-releases on 12/5/06

Amazon.com is listing several NBA titles, that are going to be released on December 5th:

NBA: Houston Rockets 1994 Champions: Clutch City

NBA: Legends Giftset

NBA: Street Series, Vol. 1-3

NBA Greatest Moments in NBA History

majorjoe23 10-10-06 04:33 PM

You would think they would package the two Rockets championship seasons together.

dvd_luver 10-10-06 04:46 PM

What about the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls record 72-10 championship season, and the last 1997-98 season. I think that warrants a DVD release similar to the Rockets championship disc set. Also, why not market something fairly recent, say the Spurs 2004-05 championship, or the Pistons remarkable underdog 2003-2004 championship.

Obi-Jon Kenobi 10-10-06 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
What about the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls record 72-10 championship season, and the last 1997-98 season. I think that warrants a DVD release similar to the Rockets championship disc set. Also, why not market something fairly recent, say the Spurs 2004-05 championship, or the Pistons remarkable underdog 2003-2004 championship.

Well, all the stuff that you want has alraedy been out for awhile, atleast in some form. There's a 4 disc Bulls box set that covers all 6 championships, theres an '04 Pistons DVD and '05 Spurs Championship DVD. There's been nothing at all about the rockets, except for the giant 25 years of nba champions box set.

Don't know why the real underdog championship story isn't out yet, the 94-95 Rockets.

dvd_luver 10-10-06 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
Well, all the stuff that you want has alraedy been out for awhile, atleast in some form. There's a 4 disc Bulls box set that covers all 6 championships, theres an '04 Pistons DVD and '05 Spurs Championship DVD. There's been nothing at all about the rockets, except for the giant 25 years of nba champions box set.

Don't know why the real underdog championship story isn't out yet, the 94-95 Rockets.

I own the Bulls box set, the Pistons 04 and Spurs 05 championship DVD's, the 25 years of champions box set, I understand that they have been made available in some way but I was comparing those with the Rockets box set which seems to cover their wonderful season better than any of the latter.

SkipKassidy 10-11-06 11:38 PM

Clutch City

Looking at the product description for the Rockets NBA Championship collection it says, "Celebrate the Houston Rockets' first NBA Championship with this incredible 8-disc DVD collector's set. Relive Houston's historic 1994 NBA Finals showdown against the New York Knicks with all 7 games, each in its entirety and original broadcast format. Also included is an action-packed Championship season recap with revealing behind-the-scenes features. Experience the heart-pounding action again and again!

Well, if it includes the original broadcast format for game 5, that means we get to see both the Rockets play the Knicks and the O.J. Simpson-White Bronco chase!

Cameron 10-12-06 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Well, if it includes the original broadcast format for game 5, that means we get to see both the Rockets play the Knicks and the O.J. Simpson-White Bronco chase!

that would be amazing

cdollaz 10-12-06 08:29 AM

Yes, the second Rockets championship was much more impressive as they beat the 3 teams with the best records and didn't have home-court advantage in any of the series as a sixth seed.

tonymontana313 10-12-06 10:57 AM

I'm just surprised that the Rockets dvd set is even coming out. It always seems like the Rockets championship run never really got any respect from anyone so it's good to see the NBA put this together. Count me in as a day 1 purchase for this!

wolverine1028 10-13-06 12:16 AM

This was a classic series. The Knicks blew it!

madcougar 10-13-06 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I'm just surprised that the Rockets dvd set is even coming out. It always seems like the Rockets championship run never really got any respect from anyone so it's good to see the NBA put this together. Count me in as a day 1 purchase for this!

You know I came in here to bitch and moan about how I was sure the Rockets weren't going to be represented. Low and behold I get all this Rocket talk!

I have felt that this was the last team with only one real "star" win the NBA champsionship in the last 30 years. It was Dream and a bunch of role players.

tonymontana313 10-13-06 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
You know I came in here to bitch and moan about how I was sure the Rockets weren't going to be represented. Low and behold I get all this Rocket talk!

I have felt that this was the last team with only one real "star" win the NBA champsionship in the last 30 years. It was Dream and a bunch of role players.

It's sad that Hakeem never really had the support he should have had during the prime of his career. If he had a someone who could play a true second fiddle, it would have truly created a Rockets/Bulls rivalry IMHO.

dx23 10-13-06 03:45 PM

It's sad that Hakeem never really had the support he should have had during the prime of his career. If he had a someone who could play a true second fiddle, it would have truly created a Rockets/Bulls rivalry IMHO.

They had Clyde Drexler in 95 and 96 and Charles Barkley in 96. They won againts Orlando in 95 thanks to the offense Clyde Drexler brought.

dvd_luver 10-13-06 04:51 PM

What about all-star players like Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker working around Hakeem, great compliment players like that (see Tim Duncan) may have been what he truly needed to win more rings. Tim Duncan won 2 rings with them, so Dream in his prime would have won about the same if not more. Manu and Tony alone would have given the Bulls dynasty nightmares if they had played with Hakeem and the Rockets back in the day.

Y2J850 10-13-06 06:01 PM

That Rocket set is gonna be awsome.I never thought I would see one of those sets released, and 8 discs at that.... But now that they did the 93-94 year What are the chances well see another nice 8 disc set over the 94-95 repeat .... I mean if they didn't have plans on doing one don't you think they would have just merged both years into one package? And what about this 06-07 year when we win? -wink- ( A man can dream).

dvd_luver 10-13-06 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Y2J850
And what about this 06-07 year when we win? -wink- ( A man can dream).

I like the Rockets chances against teams like the Mavericks and Suns in a 7 game series with some offseason improvements and a healthy Yao and T-mac, a trip to the NBA finals isn't such a dream imo. It's possible, but that is if somebody can knock off the Spurs again, you have to beat them to have a shot at a ring in the West, it's going to be like this for the next few years with their threesome locked up in contract.

Originally Posted by Y2J850
But now that they did the 93-94 year What are the chances well see another nice 8 disc set over the 94-95 repeat

The chances are obviously very good, that was a great championship in which the Rockets just humiliated the Magic in the Finals.

tonymontana313 10-13-06 08:50 PM

I agree that a slashing point guard like a Tony Parker would have improved the Rockets chances to make it the Finals during the early 90's. Those early 90's Rockets teams were the most pathetic bunch of role players around a superstar I have ever seen. Most of the bench were CBA castaways and the starting five with the exception of Hakeem and Otis Thorpe would not be starting anywhere else in the league.

Hakeem's stats are definitely underrated since he was double and triple teamed every night in his prime. Shaq, to this day, says that Hakeem is the best center he has seen and ever played with. It was Hakeem's buttwhipping that motivated Shaq to be more than just a dunking center.

I might shed a tear or two thinking about the Rockets good ole days when I watch this set since there is no way in hell we will ever get back to that stage. :(

madcougar 10-13-06 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
They had Clyde Drexler in 95 and 96 and Charles Barkley in 96. They won againts Orlando in 95 thanks to the offense Clyde Drexler brought.

I know all this, but in 94 they had Kenny Smith, Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell, and Robert Horry, and Sam Cassell of the bench. Certaintly all decent role players, but not one other real "star" in the mix.

dx23 10-14-06 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
I know all this, but in 94 they had Kenny Smith, Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell, and Robert Horry, and Sam Cassell of the bench. Certaintly all decent role players, but not one other real "star" in the mix.

I agree with you with that point. I was actually replying to the other comment about a Rockets/Bulls rivalry.

madcougar 10-14-06 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I agree with you with that point. I was actually replying to the other comment about a Rockets/Bulls rivalry.

I gotcha partner.

rsxtreme415 10-15-06 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by wolverine1028
This was a classic series. The Knicks blew it!

i wonder if the OJ Simpson chase is will be included

PJsig08 10-15-06 04:15 PM

Any good place to keep track of new NBA DVDs that come out? I like a lot of these, but never am able to keep track of what's out, when etc.

dvd_luver 10-15-06 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Any good place to keep track of new NBA DVDs that come out? I like a lot of these, but never am able to keep track of what's out, when etc.

Do a search for DVD's at Amazon.com and type in "nba" and than go by release date and they all should just pop right up. Most of the time they are pretty up to date over there.

cdollaz 10-16-06 08:59 AM

If I remember correctly, during the Bulls 1st 3-year run, the Rockets actually were 5-1 against them in the regular season. The Bulls had no answer for Hakeem and just matched up really well with the Bulls.

rsxtreme415 11-14-06 04:15 PM

guys, the bulls first championship run dvd is coming out in January. 5 disc set, which doesnt make much sense without the pistons series.