DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   ANY WORD OF A "CHINATOWN" SE?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/480305-any-word-chinatown-se.html)

gabecb 10-10-06 01:24 PM

ANY WORD OF A "CHINATOWN" SE??

I'm trying to decide if I should pick up the Chinatown DVD as part of the DDD sale, but this seems a ripe title for an SE, has anything been mentioned??

DonnachaOne 10-10-06 01:31 PM

Three bucks, man! If indeed there is an SE coming out - which isn't probable - it's THREE dollars with another DVD! Six bucks for two DVDs, on of which is Chinatown... why deny yourself an excellent film a second longer?

If you're posting from work, you probably made three bucks since you posted this.

gabecb 10-10-06 01:36 PM

Each order shipped to Canada adds another $6 s/h to the order as well. Im basically waiting to see if my first large order (12 titles) doesnt get jacked with customs charges- if it sails through Ill definitely order some more this week.

joliom 10-10-06 03:56 PM

It's a tough call. Normally I would say a movie like Chinatown is a sure thing for a 2-disc SE, but then it's Paramount. They don't exactly set the world ablaze with their SE releases. It could happen, but may not for awhile. I say get the current DVD. It's cheap so you can't take too much of a bath on it. GameStop and Blockbuster and those places usually give you $3 per trade in, so at most you lose what? $3-4 tops?

Willh51 10-10-06 04:42 PM

It does need a SE but the disc is fine, good A/V and a few features. Get it now.

JasonF 10-10-06 04:52 PM

Forget it, gabecb. It's Chinatown.

BuckNaked2k 12-08-06 09:16 AM

I noticed that both Chinatown and Two Jakes are now OOP. Seems like the stage is set for SEs in 2007.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 06-06-07 12:38 PM

any update on this getting a SE anytime soon?

Alkaline 06-11-07 08:58 PM

Nah, but in the meantime, enjoy the brand new, pointlessly re-worked cover art for the original barebones release that will now greet you in retail stores.

tylergfoster 06-12-07 12:04 AM

I think Paramount will do an SE. These days I find their special features are quite good, but then again, we're talking mainly about 80's comedies. Maybe 2009? That's the 35th anniversary. I hope we don't have to wait until 2014.

Apone 06-12-07 12:15 AM

SE? Yeah, just like Dark City and L.A. Confidential. It's unseemable and not worth the wait so just buy it! Plus the current release has a decent half an hour length documentary.

MTRodaba2468 06-12-07 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Apone
SE? Yeah, just like Dark City and L.A. Confidential. It's unseemable and not worth the wait so just buy it! Plus the current release has a decent half an hour length documentary.

Interestingly enough, L.A. Confidential is getting a SE treatment this year.

Anyway, Chinatown is a classic, and I do agree that it would seem ripe for SE treatment. However, if that other poster is right, saying you can get it for about $3 with another DVD, I'd go for it.

rfduncan 06-12-07 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Anyway, Chinatown is a classic, and I do agree that it would seem ripe for SE treatment. However, if that other poster is right, saying you can get it for about $3 with another DVD, I'd go for it.

And were it a Warner title, it would have gotten it by now. But as mentioned
joliom mentioned earlier in this thread, it is a Paramount title. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Seashellz 06-12-07 12:57 PM

Since Paramount is letting Criterion do an SE of DAYS OF HEAVEN, is it too much to hope for that they will allow CHINATOWN...?

dreams on...

tofferman 07-24-07 12:51 PM

This was just posted today over at DVDActive:

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced collector's editions of the Roman Polanski directed Chinatown which stars Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, and the Nicholson directed The Two Jakes. Both films will be available to own from the 6th November. Each film will be presented in widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras on Chinatown will include a Chinatown: The Beginning and the End featurette, an Acting Chinatown featurette, a Chinatown - Style featurette, a Chinatown: The Classic featurette, and the theatrical trailer. The only extra material on The Two Jakes will be a Jack on Jakes featurette, and the theatrical trailer.

I especially like the cover art for Chinatown and will gladly double dip. :thumbsup:

animatedude 07-24-07 01:16 PM

they should've included both movies in one boxset!

rhcp1214 07-24-07 01:39 PM

features look slim, especially on "The Two Jakes"

yeldarb367 07-24-07 03:20 PM

Cool. I'm in.

FILMCZY 07-24-07 03:57 PM

Awesome. "Chinatown" is my personal favorite movie.

PopcornTreeCt 07-24-07 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
they should've included both movies in one boxset!

Ehh, I just want Chinatown.

BuckNaked2k 07-24-07 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Interestingly enough, L.A. Confidential is getting a SE treatment this year.....

Not to threadjack, but whatever happened to this.......vaporware??

DeputyDave 07-24-07 07:19 PM

You can thank me for just buying the old version two weeks ago.

OldBoy 07-24-07 07:35 PM

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65393

wilky61 07-24-07 08:15 PM

Good news. I'd probably upgrade Chinatown/L.A. Confidential with no questions asked, two great movies. Any word of MSRP value? $20 or $25 probably?

Zen Peckinpah 07-24-07 09:04 PM

Will be upgrading Chinatown and buying The Two Jakes, a very underrated sequel for sure, as long as the price is manageable.