Reload this Page >

Disney DVD releases question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-29-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is it before some Disney movies go OOP?
Reading The Little Mermaid 2 disc review at Box Office Mojo has convinced me I want to snap it up The fabulous songs, including the calypso classic Under The Sea.

How long is on sale for? Will the Toy Story 1 and 2 2 disc SE's go OOP?
Old 09-29-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it was for six months?
Old 09-29-06, 10:35 PM

Most Disney DVD Platinum Edition DVDS go on "back in the vault" after 90 days - which means they will no longer provide stores (on-line and brick and mortar) with copies, but you will still probably be able to find the title until you local store(s) run out. I recently saw copies of BAMBI and CINDERELLA still available, but titles like SNOW WHITE, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE LION KING, ALADDIN will be harder to find, since they have stopped restocking these titles since they "went back into the vault".

Disney has used this model of releasing films since the 1940s - releasing animated classics back into theaters every 7 (or so) years. When home video came around they have used the same practice, except some titles were available all the time (ALICE IN WONDERLAND, ROBIN HOOD, THE SWORD IN THE STONE), they held titles that were bigger money makers and "hits" to the 7 year standard (101 DALMATIANS, THE JUNGLE BOOK, THE LITTLE MERMAID) so that is why you don't see them constantly available. Check ultimatedisney.com for the list of available/non-available titles - and when you can or can't find them.
Old 09-30-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
For most, it's longer than 90 days it's more like a year/year and a half with exceptions. For example, on January 31, 2007, the Bambi and Lady and the Tramp platinums will go 'in the vault'. Bambi came out March 2005 and LatT March 2006, and Cinderella from last October still isn't going yet. So, it really varies, but for most cases it'll definitely be longer than 90 days, The only exceptions I know of are Bambi II, which was only available for 70 days, and the upcoming Narnia set will actually go the same time as Bambi and LatT.
Old 09-30-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully I'll get LITTLE MERMAID and the two TOY STORY'S then, some time next year maybe, if theyre not OOP
Old 09-30-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I still know a place that has a brand new Snow White for sale. That's been in the vault for like 6 years or something.
Old 10-06-06, 09:12 PM

Snow White's only been out of print since 2004, and is being rereleased in 2009 or 2013, one of those years, I just know it's gonna be a while.