DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DEAD ZONE Special Collector's Ed: No Commentary Track? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/478835-dead-zone-special-collectors-ed-no-commentary-track.html)

kunert 09-26-06 05:07 PM

DEAD ZONE Special Collector's Ed: No Commentary Track?

Did a search on this, found nothing.
I picked this up at BB today, price matched with Fry's for 7.99. I don't see anything about it noted on the back, and I swear I recall reading that there would be a Cronenberg commentary this time around. I'm tempted to just return it unopened, since that was that was the only reason I wanted to upgrade.

meritocracy 09-26-06 05:36 PM

I don't recall any press release regarding a commentary by Cronenberg, just the featurettes. As 4 featurettes totaling about 45 mintues of footage doesn't particularly entice me to upgrade, I'll be sticking with the original release.

Mr. Cinema 09-26-06 06:03 PM

Went into Best Buy this evening to get it but none on the shelf. They checked the inventory and got in a whopping 2 copies. naturally, they were missing 2 boxes, which they presume have these. I'm waiting to hear a call back once they find it. Not holding my breath.

Chucky 09-26-06 06:47 PM

Before specs were released for the new DVD, everyone basically assumed there would be a Cronenberg commentary, since he has done a commentary for almost every other movie of his released on DVD. Unfortunately, that speculation turned out not to be true. Which is a shame - I would have loved a commentary from Cronenberg, Stephen King, or both! Oh well, another mostly-pointless re-release....

Davy Mack 09-26-06 06:55 PM

They got Mary Lambert to do a commentary for the new Pet Sematary...
Weird. Also according to DVDBeaver.com's comparison, the new version while it might have more accurte color is IMHO noticeably softer and less detailed...

http://dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews..._dead_zone.htm

Zodiac_Speaking 09-26-06 07:00 PM

It is most disappointing, but I bought nonetheless.

Filmmaker 09-26-06 08:10 PM

Davy, I've compared and contrasted the first release with this new SCE and, frankly, I think something's wrong with DVDBeaver's screenshots; the softness apparent in them isn't evident on my screen at all. Weird.

Davy Mack 09-27-06 02:41 AM

Very interesting...

Worth the upgrade?

:) d

DonnachaOne 09-27-06 03:30 AM

I picked up the case at KMart an hour ago.
Looked at the case.
Put it back down.

Now watching my old disc, and it's brilliant.

bunkaroo 09-27-06 10:19 AM

To my eyes it looks like the same transfer with maybe a little digital debris removal, so I guess the incentive here is for the extras-the few there are.

Mr. Cinema 09-27-06 02:24 PM

This title wasn't that easy to find. Best Buy never called me back to say that got in their 2 copies. I went to Circuit City today and looked around for about 5-10 minutes. I almost gave up and noticed they placed their 1 and only copy at the bottom of the horror unit with the overstock stuff.

They also had 4 copies of the Stephen King collection box set that came out the same day, which contains the new Dead Zone, Pet Sematary, and the old discs of Silver Bullett and Graveyard Shift. It was $30....in slim packs.

Filmmaker 09-27-06 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Worth the upgrade?

For $10 or less, sure.

slowcloud 09-28-06 06:19 AM

I think I'll finally pick this up now. Too bad no Cronenberg commentary. He does good ones. I do not recall of film of his that did not have a commentary by him (I inlcude the Canadian release of eXistenZ and the OOP Criterion of Dead Ringers).

Darryl 09-28-06 07:12 AM

I'll keep my import edition, as well as the current Paramount R1. The import contains a commentary track by film historian Kim Newman.