Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy the Best Buy "Look up in the Sky" Superman special?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure most of us didn't buy it in anticipation of the new 14 disc Superman box set, which seems to have been re-announced. Anyway, I was just curious about the Best Buy only disc- is it the same as disc 14 from the box set? Looks like it might be (discs 13 and 14 in the R1 November 2006 box set):

Look, Up in the Sky disc 13
Kevin Burns documentary - history of the character.

Bryan Singer's blogs disc 14
All the web blogs plus two never-before-seen.

Anyone know for sure?

I searched and couldn't find anything.
Old 09-23-06, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, the documentary was not exclusive to Best Buy. It has been widely available everywhere, including amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Look-Up-Sky-Am...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

And yes, thge documentary is included in the ultimate Collection, according to dvdactive.com:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ollection.html
Old 09-23-06, 08:52 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
First of all, the documentary was not exclusive to Best Buy.
But the 2nd disc of weblogs was. And marioxb, yes, I'm afraid the new 14-disc set will render the current release of LOOK, UP IN THE SKY! moot, Best Buy exclusive or not.
Old 09-23-06, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
But the 2nd disc of weblogs was. And marioxb, yes, I'm afraid the new 14-disc set will render the current release of LOOK, UP IN THE SKY! moot, Best Buy exclusive or not.
That's actually what I was hoping because I didn't buy it.
Old 09-23-06, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Well, I did buy it, so I'll have to hold on to the fact that my "exclusive" disc will have 2 less weblogs than the huge set. And collectible packaging.
Old 09-23-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Plus, the weblogs on the upcoming Ultimate Collection have been touted as "Expanded Editions" of the journals (whatever that means).

I had the Best Buy exclusive, just incase the stuff on it didn't show up on the Superman Collection. I kept it sealed so the second the Ultimate Set was announced, I returned it to Best Buy. They took it back even tho I bought it two months ago.

Bring on the Ultimate Collection!
Old 09-23-06, 11:54 PM

Was there anything else on that Best Buy bonus disc besides the weblogs?
Old 09-24-06, 02:08 AM

I got the best buy 2 disc set of look up in the sky for like 9.99. I was able to get 3 of them.
the original price was 19.99
Jacob
Old 09-24-06, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JACOB
I got the best buy 2 disc set of look up in the sky for like 9.99. I was able to get 3 of them.
the original price was 19.99
Jacob
Is this the new price at BB? Or did you find it somewhere else?

The web site still shows 9.99 for the non-exclusive 1 disc set and 19.99 for the exclusive 2 discer.
Old 09-24-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i ordered the BestBuy exclusive weeks ago and the sent me the regular version,ASSHOLES.but then again i kept bothering them with my emails and they send me a replacement.i haven't checked my mail box in a while so i don't know whether they actully sent me the bestbuy exclusive or the other version.
Old 09-24-06, 08:26 AM

they had mismarked the 2 disc set as 9.99. I got them on the first day.

Jacob
Old 09-24-06, 08:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, I did buy it, so I'll have to hold on to the fact that my "exclusive" disc will have 2 less weblogs than the huge set. And collectible packaging.
Same here. $20 for 5 postcard-sized 1-sheet poster reprints and a "collectible" cover. Bleh.

<---got hosed
Old 09-24-06, 01:11 PM
Bye

I picked up the single-disc version the day it was released, mostly because I didn't care about the postcards. Also, it seemed more appropriate for the cover to show several different incarnations of The Big Blue Cheese instead of just Brandon Routh, especially since I wasn't sure I was gonna like Superman Returns (which surprisingly I did). It had already been announced that all the video journals were gonna be on the SR DVD, so the bonus disc was moot from the get-go.
Old 09-24-06, 01:36 PM

I guess all my bonus discs are really moot when you consider the neglible content on the majority of them.

But the collector in me is glad that I have them all.

Hopefully I'll grow up someday and stop this silly obsession.
Old 09-24-06, 02:45 PM
Bye

Nah, most of the time there's something worth having on them. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I actually saw "Bond Girls Are Forever" on TV a while back, but as long as something isn't already available on some other DVD, it's worth having. For that matter, if you take a look at the list of exclusives I own posted in another thread, you'll see that I have at least a couple "moot" discs, especially the Papa John's "Weekend At Bernie's" DVD. They actually offered the sequel as well, but I missed out on that one. I didn't really even want to keep that disc, but as it happens, the artwork on the disc is completely different than the retail version, so even though I'll probably never watch it, it's a neat collectible. "Drop Dead Fred" was virtually identical to the retail version, so I ditched the disc but still hung on to the envelope it came in, which was a scaled-down version of the retail cover. I wanted to get the mail-in promo version of the movie "Hackers", which I assume was also in a paper envelope, but sadly procrastination got the better of me and I missed the deadline. You can bet that even though the Rocky & Bullwinkle promo disc will be made obsolete if I ever buy the full season, it'll still be nice to have as a collectible.

I can't say I'd want to have every single exclusive that's offered (and I don't have the budget to make all the required purchases), but when it's something I like, it doesn't really matter that some future DVD release might make a promo or bonus disc obsolete. I do think most of the Beavis & Butthead bonus discs were lame, because at least two of them were just episodes that would appear on later volumes, and they were even advertised that way. Still, I think most of us here know that just because a title is announced, there's no guarantee you'll ever be able to buy it. In fact, if I were really that big of a B&B fan, I'd still have picked up those bonus discs.

I have to say I doubt I'll be buying the big 14-disc set, although I'll most likely pick up the 4-disc version of Superman: The Movie. Superman II doesn't interest me much, but I'll probably at least rent "The Donner Cut" when it comes out. I'd rather forget about III and IV, but I'll probably rent them again for the sake of nostalgia. I'll also be buying the two-disc version of Superman Returns in all probability, but such a comprehensive boxed set would be too much of a strain on my budget, and really too much to invest in a franchise I'm not completely in love with. As far as "Look, Up In The Sky!" goes, it looks like half the artwork on all the discs is new for the boxed set, so I'm much happier with the original version.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 09-24-06 at 02:51 PM.