Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I found the Munich CE new in a store!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the Munich CE new in a store!

Woohoo!! This has been on my wish list and I thought I'd have to settle for a used copy. However, one of my local stores had 3 new copies! Score!

There was a store around here that had a new sealed copy of the 3 disc LE of Suspiria, and I'm feeling lucky now, I may go check it out!

Josh
Old 09-22-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
<sup>1,000,000</sup>
Old 09-22-06, 07:45 PM

congrats, by chance was it a Hastings? My local one still has 5 sealed copies of the Cinderella Man 2-disc, for $40 a pop though!
Old 09-22-06, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
congrats, by chance was it a Hastings? My local one still has 5 sealed copies of the Cinderella Man 2-disc, for $40 a pop though!
Nope, its a local chain. Movie Trading Company. And it was under $30!
Old 09-22-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are all gonna get re-released sooo um well come to your own conclusion.
Old 09-22-06, 08:03 PM

When is it suppose to be re-released?
Old 09-22-06, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
These are all gonna get re-released sooo um well come to your own conclusion.
Come on man, let me have my moment!
Old 09-22-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner
Come on man, let me have my moment!

I'm sorry. You have to post in a few more Threads before you're allowed to have your moment.

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 09-22-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS - I hope this does get a re-issue. I completely missed out on the first batch and refuse to pay eBay prices for it.
Old 09-22-06, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
PS - I hope this does get a re-issue. I completely missed out on the first batch and refuse to pay eBay prices for it.
Well, mine was $26.99. I figured that its a little higher than first week prices, but I REALLY wanted it and I saw people on this forum selling copies for $40, so why not!
Old 09-22-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Well, mine was $26.99. I figured that its a little higher than first week prices, but I REALLY wanted it and I saw people on this forum selling copies for $40, so why not!

That's a great deal considering the current prices. Enjoy your find.
Old 09-22-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there's been one sitting in a local Newbury's for about 3 months now. $30 ... not a huge demand unfortuately. Sucks .. otherwise I'd turn into a scummy, pilfering, exploiting SOB profiteer and demand at least $40 for it

But definately Josh .. enjoy your find!!! It is an excellent film and DVD presentation!
Old 09-22-06, 11:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
remind me, what were the exclusives on the CE?
Old 09-22-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
remind me, what were the exclusives on the CE?
Not much .... http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=9205

.. besides of course, the cool picture on the slipcover!!!
Old 09-22-06, 11:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I really want an explanation as to why Universal is doing this? Jarhead, Munich, United 93 - release a two disc CE, and then yank it off the market - this is becoming a really annoying trend.
Old 09-22-06, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I really want an explanation as to why Universal is doing this? Jarhead, Munich, United 93 - release a two disc CE, and then yank it off the market - this is becoming a really annoying trend.
I saw an article about this somewhere, about how the special edition sales are plummeting after the first week, and some don't even sell well then. Walk the Line is another recent example of a film with a cool 2 disc presentation (not too heavy on the extras though) that went OOP quickly.
Old 09-22-06, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Not much .... http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=9205

.. besides of course, the cool picture on the slipcover!!!
Yeah, not a whole lot, but the other release is TOTALLY bare-bones, at least this has some stuff on disc 2. I went through a little of it and it looks engaging. Plus the cool cover and slip-cover and booklet.

So if anyone else in Dallas is looking for this, Movie Trading Company on Greenville has two more new sealed compies.
Old 09-22-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really want an explanation as to why Universal is doing this?
Best Buy is undercutting a lot of the competition (namely, a company that I work for is about all I can say) by releasing "exclusive" editions. After talking to my company's buyer, I have an inkling that based on Best Buy's tactics (since he can't seem to get in - if not for only a lack of selling power in a limited market) .. furthermore; Walmart, CC, Target ... these editions are simply profit based buy ins. .. and of course the "limited" nature is driving sales (and exposure) for Universal, among others. If they can double/triple the cash - versus the bare boned releases - they'll do it. You figure that the vast percentage of the bare bone releases of all these titles will be selling new at some point for less than $10. It's all about moving inventory and induction of sales by generating interest - simple. Smart idea if you ask me. And it's exactly what Universal is doing.

I'm one of those "______" that owns some of the more recent limited release schemes .. Munich, United 93, Jarhead and the Best Buy Exclusive set of V4V. Silly .. maybe. But I'm not the only one that has caught an interest in this niche market ....

Besides, I enjoy/appreciate each one of these releases for what they're worth and would do it again .. as long as it's a film worth owning in the first place.

Last edited by visitor Q; 09-23-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-23-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree with what visitor q says last. if it's worth owning in the first place, i'll go get the limited 2 disc edition.

good find on munich though.
Old 09-23-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, anyone ever pick up the Wal-Mart Bonus DVD that was offered with the Single Disc edition?
Old 09-23-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got this for $1 over the summer. The boardwalk by me had a wheel, you bet a dollar and if it lands on your spot, you get any 2 DVDs. So I won on my first try, and got this one, and Lady and the Tramp II.
Old 09-23-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sabrett
I got this for $1 over the summer. The boardwalk by me had a wheel, you bet a dollar and if it lands on your spot, you get any 2 DVDs. So I won on my first try, and got this one, and Lady and the Tramp II.
Hehe. Way to go! Good for you.
Old 09-23-06, 01:29 PM
Banned

congrats now you own a terrible movie.
Old 09-23-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by puddytay
congrats now you own a terrible movie.
Old 09-24-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Best Buy is undercutting a lot of the competition (namely, a company that I work for is about all I can say) by releasing "exclusive" editions. After talking to my company's buyer, I have an inkling that based on Best Buy's tactics (since he can't seem to get in - if not for only a lack of selling power in a limited market) .. furthermore; Walmart, CC, Target ... these editions are simply profit based buy ins. .. and of course the "limited" nature is driving sales (and exposure) for Universal, among others. If they can double/triple the cash - versus the bare boned releases - they'll do it. You figure that the vast percentage of the bare bone releases of all these titles will be selling new at some point for less than $10. It's all about moving inventory and induction of sales by generating interest - simple. Smart idea if you ask me. And it's exactly what Universal is doing.

I'm one of those "______" that owns some of the more recent limited release schemes .. Munich, United 93, Jarhead and the Best Buy Exclusive set of V4V. Silly .. maybe. But I'm not the only one that has caught an interest in this niche market ....

Besides, I enjoy/appreciate each one of these releases for what they're worth and would do it again .. as long as it's a film worth owning in the first place.
Very well said. I agree with your perspective. Its clever marketing and I enjoy collecting these CEs as well. But its just I am a cheapa$$ and will not part with double digit $ prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.