Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Scene Missing from new Ace Ventura DVD

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Someone at another forum is saying these movies now have DTS tracks, can someone confirm this?
Old 09-05-06, 10:36 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, DTS is an option on at least one of the films, probably both. I don't have them handy, nor do I have my receiver hooked up at the moment to confirm that it is indeed DTS, but major studios wouldn't tell us it's DTS if it weren't.
Old 09-06-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DTS is in fact an option on both of the films.

How can you go wrong for $13? You get the two films in their original theatrical cuts with pristine picture and sound quality. The extras could be better, but I'm happy with the $13 I spent.
Old 09-06-06, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in as another that's never seen the 'dolphin trainer' bit. I remember the first part of that scene well though...

[QUOTE=Julie Walker]I never saw it in theaters,so I always thought the finale sequence in the film was the added moment. Since it appears like it's about to fade to the credits,and then goes into the final football sequence of the film.

What's this about a fade-out and then another scene at the end? I don't remember that either...
Old 09-06-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A small scene cut from the movie will not hamper my enjoyment of finally receiving an anamorphic transfer of Ace. And I get both movies for $13? I am content.
Old 09-06-06, 03:37 PM
Bye

If it weren't for the fact that there are so many deleted scenes in the network TV version, I'd hang on to my fullscreen DVD. I didn't see a lot of places where cropping the picture would have made a lot of difference, especially since it was filmed at 1.85:1 as opposed to 2.35:1 or something like that. This is a film that for reasons of both composition and content, doesn't really suffer that much when cropped to fullscreen. That could be due in part to the director realizing that a TV broadcast of the film was inevitable, and also probably due to most home video releases being fullscreen at that time.

It's certainly nice to have it in widescreen, but if the "Heinz" scene (and it was Heinz, not Hans) was the only thing missing from the theatrical version, I'd definitely keep my original DVD. As it stands now, I'm sure I'll have to have a copy of the network version as well, so I obviously can't have everything on one DVD. Of course as luck would have it, the network version probably doesn't have the Heinz scene, but I suppose it could be edited in from the original DVD if I wanted to make my own copy of it. Heck, I'd be satisfied with a second disc containing all the deleted scenes, but obviously that's not gonna happen.

Something else interesting about the new version is the long pause in the commentary where Tom's comments about the deleted scene ran longer than the actual scene and had to be cut as well. I'm sure that pissed off the actors who played the reporters, since Tom praised them in his commentary. As an extra in "Evan Almighty", I'm hoping he'll give us a similar nod in that commentary, but I'll have to wait a year and a half for that.
Old 09-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this movie in the theaters and I swear on my life it had the scene because I went home remembering it and doing it to make others around me laugh (Im good at impression shit like that)

Well Im glad Im no sheep thats happy at whatever a studio throws at me. Im happy with my FS with the scene intact than some bullshit release. Or course if I find it for $5, Ill buy it .
Old 09-07-06, 12:42 AM
Banned

How is this a "bullshit release"? Because it doesn't contain a scene that was never in the theatrical version of the movie to begin with, regardless of what you're trying to recall from 12 years ago? Give me a fucking break. I'm no sheep, either. I willingly purchased this set because it has the intended (see: theatrical) cut of the movie, in addition to extras, a DTS track, an HD remaster, a Widescreen transfer, and it's 3 disc set with a price point lower than the original release when it first debuted.

Silly me. Wasting $12 on a superior product. Baaa...baaaa...
Old 09-07-06, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so let me get this straight:

the dolphin trainer scene was not in the theatrical cut (although there is some conflicting info on this)

the scene was on the pan/scan first dvd release
the scene is now 'missing' from the widescreen new DVD version.
Old 09-07-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles

the dolphin trainer scene was not in the theatrical cut (although there is some conflicting info on this)

Not only the DVD, but it was included on the VHS release as well.
Old 09-07-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

That is correct, although the only "conflicting info" is from a few people's faulty memories. IMDB clearly lists the scene as not being in the theatrical cut:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109040/alternateversions
Old 09-07-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about you guys, but I think I may hold onto the Ace 1 snapper. It will more than likely go OOP and the cut scene it has makes it worth keeping considering most places that buy used dvds would probably only give me less than $1 for the dvd anyway.
Old 09-07-06, 01:26 PM
Banned

It went OOP this Tuesday, not that it matters, given it was in production for 9 years, and the market, retail and secondary, are saturated with them.
Old 09-07-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
This thread is proof of the hypocrisy and just how people won't be happy. Star Wars as already mentioned, is being blasted for not having the original theatrical cut out, and Ace Ventura is being blasted for releasing the theatrical. Absolutely amazing.
There is a difference between inserting a scene that was shot when filming the movie, and putting in effects 20 years later that don't mesh.

Regardless of whether it is a great scene or not, which I think it is the funniest in the movie, it doesn't hurt the movie and it blends seamlessly into the theatrical release.

The OT SE on the other hand, have new scenes (New Emperor in ESB, CG Jabba in ANH, Hayden in ROTJ) and 1997 Special Effects that are added in movies that were shot from 77-83.

So that isn't a good analogy of fans bitching about one little scene that was shot originally that was added in Ace Ventura, and dozens of CG shots and a couple added scenes that inserted 20 years later.
Old 09-07-06, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by coli
There is a difference between inserting a scene that was shot when filming the movie, and putting in effects 20 years later that don't mesh.

Regardless of whether it is a great scene or not, which I think it is the funniest in the movie, it doesn't hurt the movie and it blends seamlessly into the theatrical release.

The OT SE on the other hand, have new scenes (New Emperor in ESB, CG Jabba in ANH, Hayden in ROTJ) and 1997 Special Effects that are added in movies that were shot from 77-83.

So that isn't a good analogy of fans bitching about one little scene that was shot originally that was added in Ace Ventura, and dozens of CG shots and a couple added scenes that inserted 20 years later.
I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film, nothing was reshot and reinstated "20 years later" - it's just too bad that WB didn't really track down or anamorphically transfer the longer cut for the new DVD version.
Old 09-07-06, 03:10 PM

I'm going to pass on this for now.

I really only want Ace 1, I can do without Ace 2. Give it a little time and Warner will release them individually. Just like Columbia just did with the Ghostbusters 2 pack. You can get those now individually in keepcases.

Saxon
Old 09-07-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film.....
....and were subsequently cut out of the film by the director prior to theatrical release, for a variety of possible reasons. Why should the FF and Network TV cuts get precedence over the theatrical?
Old 09-07-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
I really only want Ace 1, I can do without Ace 2. Give it a little time and Warner will release them individually. Just like Columbia just did with the Ghostbusters 2 pack. You can get those now individually in keepcases.
Is is worth waiting though? Looking at DVDpricesearch, you only save about $2.50 buying one Ghostbusters movie over the 2-pack, and you don't get the scrapbook. When/if the new Ace DVD is released seperately, it'll probably be sans the cartoon disc and not much cheaper.
Old 09-07-06, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
....and were subsequently cut out of the film by the director prior to theatrical release, for a variety of possible reasons. Why should the FF and Network TV cuts get precedence over the theatrical?
beats me, there's real no rhyme or reason why or how a film is worthy of expansion for television or some version of video (VHS, laserdisc). It's just unfortunate that fans can't get all they want from a film.
Old 09-07-06, 03:37 PM

I have the widescreen laserdisc and I checked it and it indeed has the extra scene in question. I will pick this up and just keep the laserdisc. It seems the new release is the first one not to have the extra scene. Why take it out this time?
Old 09-07-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did nobody listen to the director's commentary. He plainly states that there was a lot of scenes cut, but he felt they did not belong in the film. It's not just one scenes; there are lots, and he's of very low opinion of them, which is why they were deleted in the first place. Surely, it'd be great to see them for us fans, but a three-disc set for under 13 bucks is okay by me. A four-disc SE boxset can always be released down the road.
Old 09-07-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of you whining about the loss of the dophin trainer scene need to get over it. Its a funny scene but missing it doesn't hurt the movie AT ALL. I can't believe some of you are refusing to buy this because the scene isn't there. Well, go enjoy your lame full screen copy and I'll enjoy my widescreen...in DTS as well!
Old 09-07-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
All of you whining about the loss of the dophin trainer scene need to get over it. Its a funny scene but missing it doesn't hurt the movie AT ALL. I can't believe some of you are refusing to buy this because the scene isn't there. Well, go enjoy your lame full screen copy and I'll enjoy my widescreen...in DTS as well!
Well why don't ya cry about it?? Saddlebags!!
Old 09-07-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film, nothing was reshot and reinstated "20 years later" - it's just too bad that WB didn't really track down or anamorphically transfer the longer cut for the new DVD version.
For those who remember the dolphin trainer scene in the theatrical version, it wasn't. Trust me.

And the difference between how footage gets re-inserted back into the film means absolutely nothing. There was additional footage for Gladiator that was thrown back into the film for the Directors Cut edition later on, but the theatrical edition was the directors preferred version for the film.

Yes, the dolphin trainer scene was damn funny and it was only a short add-on that I enjoyed a bit. But, just because something was shot for a film, ended up eventually on the cutting room floor... doesn't mean that it was intended for the film all along by the director. It's not like we're talking about an extra twenty minutes of footage to the film here, we're talking about like, two minutes. This film with that footage was still only about an hour and a half, so I can't see them discluding it from the theatrical release due to time restrictions or any such excuse we can think of.

The 'theatrical' version of Ace Ventura, is the 'correct' version. That's the whole argument with Star Wars as well once you cut out all the fanboys technicalities that are already popping up in this thread. The bottom line is, it's not about what the 'longest' or 'most packed' release is, it's about what the 'correct' release is. The theatrical cut, is the proper release for this film. As said in the commentary, the directors doesn't care for the 'cut scenes' and even though we can say the excuse 'but this scene was even on the original VHS release'... so what? A very early example of studios throwing gimmicks at consumers to get them to buy something. 'Why must you buy this and see it NOW?! Because it has a new scene!'. Again, that was not the 'correct' version of the film! Any film enthusiast who always complains about leaving films pure in the form the director intended, well that's what you have here.

But as been said, if you really don't want to buy these flicks with the animated series bonus discs that have been greatly improved with an HD transfer, widescreen that's anamorphic, DTS track... all for 12.99... then don't buy it if you must must must have that scene. Again, as I said before, the studios could have milked this with special editions at regular price PER FILM and still made good money. They didn't, respect to them for that.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-07-06 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if the Dolphin scene is in another region's DVD release?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.