Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to I change the name of the post link in my sig?
Old 10-11-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
How to I change the name of the post link in my sig?
Your signature should look like this:

[ URL=http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7330399&postcount=45]Horror Movie Challenge list[ /URL ]

Just take the spaces out of the the tags [ ]

Or easier, just quote me, and you'll see how the tag was done (it's for your list) and then copy and paste the next line to your signature.

Copy the line below this (with the URL= stuff)

Horror Movie Challenge list

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-11-06 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.
Old 10-11-06, 10:16 PM

I was going to avoid the Friday the 13ths, but I decided at the last minute to rent the first few. They were out of 3 and I skipped 5 since it's an anomaly, so I have 1, 2, 4, 6.

Odd that I'd make a big deal over that, since I defend Halloween 3's right to suck on its own merits rather than just because it doesn't have Michael Myers.

I'll probably watch Bay of Blood (AKA Twitch of the Death Nerve) since Friday the 13th ripped it off shamelessly (even the body count!)
Old 10-11-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a working torrent of the uncut region 2 dvd of Part One, if anyone is interested.
Old 10-11-06, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
There is a working torrent of the uncut region 2 dvd of Part One, if anyone is interested.
What's the difference? Is it worth buying?
Old 10-11-06, 11:59 PM

Cool, thanks
Old 10-12-06, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
What's the difference? Is it worth buying?
From IMDB:

As of the 11/09/2003 the BBFC passed Friday the 13th completely uncut & Warner Bros. have restored the original gory version for release on Region 2 DVD with footage added back in totaling 34 seconds. Much of the extra running time comprises different opening logos but around 11 seconds of gore has been restored to the death scenes of Annie, Marcie, Jack & Pamela Voorhees.

The following scenes were cut in order to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:

* Annie's death was a little bit longer. It showed more blood come out of her throat after it was slit.
* Jack's death was originally longer. There was an shot of Jack from a top view. In this shot, the arrow in Jack's throat turns, causing much more blood to shoot straight at the camera, and also in his mouth.
* Marcie's death was a little longer. Originally, the axe hits her in the face and she slides all of the way down to the floor.
* Mrs. Voorhees' death was actually longer. It took her a little longer to fall down and blood was squirting out of her cut neck.
Old 10-12-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, I received my 30th Anniversary Night of the Living Dead today. I can see exactly what caligulathegod was talking about. I guess Elite is the DVD company to go with when it comes to Night of the Living Dead...

I was surprised to find Phantasm OOP, I've had my copy for years, and could have sworn they re-released it with more features. Oh well... today I ordered the soundtrack

I started watching Friday the 13th tonight, because I have to work on Friday, eventhough I asked for the day off!!! I'll see if I can get the entire series in between today and Saturday
Old 10-12-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the press release for G4's NOTLD showing Halloween nite... This is one of those movies seen so often, it'll be fun to see a diffrent take on it...

THIS HALLOWEEN, G4 PUTS THE ‘LIVE’ IN ‘LIVING DEAD’ WITH A LIVE-FROM-WISCONSIN BROADCAST AND SCREENING OF “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD” HOSTED BY “AMERICAN MOVIE” STARS MARK BORCHARDT AND MIKE SCHANK
Tue. Sep. 19, 2006

THIS HALLOWEEN, G4 PUTS THE ‘LIVE’ IN ‘LIVING DEAD’
WITH A LIVE-FROM-WISCONSIN BROADCAST AND SCREENING OF
“NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD” HOSTED BY
“AMERICAN MOVIE” STARS MARK BORCHARDT AND MIKE SCHANK

The Would-Be Filmmakers Provide Their Real-Dude Commentary on
George Romero’s Immortal Flick—and Offer a Front-Row Lawn Chair to the
Trick-or-Treaters, the Costumes and all the Heartland Horror

Los Angeles, September 19, 2006 — The zombies are out and terrorizing the populace, their insatiable hunger driving them to ever-greater acts of mayhem...yes, trick-or-treaters are patrolling suburban streets again. And Mark Borchardt and Mike Schank—the stars of American Movie, undoubtedly the favorite documentary of guys everywhere—will be live on the scene when G4 presents a special Halloween-night broadcast, “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD”: LIVE FROM WISCONSIN! From lawn chairs parked in a suburban front yard on the northwest side of Milwaukee, Borchardt and Schank will host a live broadcast that includes a special screening of director George Romero’s 1968 classic, Night of the Living Dead. Before, after and at strategic moments during the film, G4 will return live to the duo as they serve as tour guides to the costumes, the trick-or-treaters and the entire heartland Halloween horrorshow. G4’s website, g4tv.com, will also offer a wide array of exclusive Halloween content, including webcam interviews with Borchardt and Schank and a photo gallery of the most inappropriate Halloween costumes. “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD”: LIVE FROM WISCONSIN! will premiere Tuesday, October 31 from 8:00 PM–11:00 PM ET/PT.

In the late 1990s, Mark Borchardt—a then-30something guy so uncool he was cool, living in nowheresville, Wisconsin with a paper route, a cemetery job, staggering debt and a doggedly optimistic quest for the American dream—became an unlikely sensation with the filming and release of American Movie. The tragicomic documentary by Chris Smith and Sarah Price followed filmmaker Borchardt’s struggle to make his own black-and-white horror film, Coven, in the grand tradition of Night of the Living Dead. Working gamely alongside Borchardt was his childhood friend, Mike Schank, a shaggy, good-natured recovering drug and gambling addict with a befuddled temperament and an unexpected gift for the guitar.

Having successfully completed the gorefest known as Coven (which Borchardt pronounces KOE-ven, so that it doesn’t rhyme with “oven”), Mark and Mike now offer a window onto a scene more scary than any horror flick: Halloween in the ’burbs.

For “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD”: LIVE FROM WISCONSIN!, Borchardt and Schank will broadcast from a suburban residence decorated like a haunted house (think “middle school Halloween dance” more than “Stan Winston”). The backyard is a makeshift cemetery. The basement is full of zombies. As the show begins, Mark and Mike introduce themselves, the haunted house, and Night of the Living Dead—offering their unique take on what makes the film such a classic, and why they are such fans.

In 1968, Night of the Living Dead was considered shockingly gruesome, as seven terrorized countryfolk took refuge in a farmhouse while bloodthirsty, flesh-eating zombies roamed the countryside. Even though the film’s effects may be considered tame today, Romero’s black-and-white classic still packs a terrifying wallop and an artistic punch, with all those “dead trees and gray skies,” as Borchardt says in American Movie.

Over the course of “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD”: LIVE FROM WISCONSIN!, G4 will return live to Borchardt and Schank as they:

* Document the ghoulish action at their haunted house
* “Welcome” trick-or-treaters (undoubtedly scaring the kids more than the
costumed kids scare them)
* Demonstrate amazing guitar-playing skills (well, Mike does)
* Take an eventful trip to the convenience store
* Reveal what the hell they’ve been up to for the past seven years
* Discuss Scare Me (their new film)
* Rate the costumes on parade
* Analyze the horror-film genre
* Reprise Mike’s ear- (and side-) splitting scream scene from American Movie

Meanwhile, back at g4tv.com, visitors will be “treated” to a variety of web-exclusive Halloween content, including:

* A rare exclusive video interview with the reclusive death metal rapper Necro
* Special webcam interviews with Borchardt and Schank
* A video “murder tour” of L.A.
* Photo galleries of ingenious and inappropriate Halloween costumes and of the West Hollywood Halloween Parade
* Articles on The Best Horror Movies You’ve Never Seen and the Top Ten Scariest Places on Earth
* Interactive elements such as SMS polling and a user-submitted costume contest

It’s an evening that gives “Night of the Living Dead” a whole new meaning.
Old 10-12-06, 08:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Sorry for the late reply....I'm in and out of the house today. Figure it out yet? I think you just go to the "My Dvds" drop down and go to "Folder Hierarchy". There you should be able to enter a folder name. Been a while for me too, at least for making a folder. I'll check when I get back from work in an hour or two.

I eventually did figure it out, but thanks for the tip... jeesh I had alot of updating to do.
Old 10-12-06, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
* Marcie's death was a little longer. Originally, the axe hits her in the face and she slides all of the way down to the floor.
the way I remember the behind the scenes efx shot, I don't remember reading Savini had a constructed dummy head actually hit by an axe. The more complex application of the prosthetic ax and blood to the actor's actual face was the shot. Her sliding down the wall was the scene trunscated for the sake of the film's R-rating.
Old 10-12-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abe.
How many people are gonna cram the Friday the 13th series on Friday?
I'm going to watch all the Jason movies in one day including Freddy Vs Jason. 11 films and just a little sleep, it will be fun.
Old 10-12-06, 08:40 PM

The next time Friday the 13th falls in October is 2017.
Old 10-12-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took some time off from horror tonight to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. What an amazing film. I've got to see the fade to black version.
Old 10-12-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ideas for future challenges, or theme months:
Westerns
Noirs
Sci-Fi
Foreign
Documentaries
Musicals/Music documentaries
A decade a month- 30s-00s (not sure if folks have enough films from the 20s to make a months worth of viewing, but I could be wrong).
Obviously wouldn't have to watch 100 a month, but the idea of a theme month could be fun- I just enjoy any excuse to make lists.
Old 10-12-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I know this has been mentioned before but I figured I'd give it another shot...
Is there anyway that the list thread can be made a sticky? It's already about a quarter of the way down the second page at this point.
Old 10-12-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The next time Friday the 13th falls in October is 2017.

Cool, even more reason to watch all the movies today.
Old 10-13-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering (i have to work and what not tonight), are there like 3 or 4 essential Jason movies in terms of gore and or t&a?
Old 10-13-06, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I was wondering (i have to work and what not tonight), are there like 3 or 4 essential Jason movies in terms of gore and or t&a?
This is IMHO of course, but I would have to say Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is essential viewing for sure. One of the best kills ever.
Old 10-13-06, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Took some time off from horror tonight to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. What an amazing film. I've got to see the fade to black version.
the fade to black version is great - however I didn't really think it was 'horror'
Old 10-13-06, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Part 4- the final chapter is my favorite
Old 10-13-06, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cedrock
Part 4- the final chapter is my favorite
For sure the best. Crispin Glover's performance alone makes it the best of the series.
Old 10-13-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
<----Another lover of Part 4.
Old 10-13-06, 02:58 PM

What do you guys think about Fire In The Sky qualifying for the contest? I've never seen it so I'm not sure if it would pass for a "Horror Movie".

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 10-13-06 at 03:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.