Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-03-06, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
um, someone (I'm not naming names) included 'King Kong' on their list - how is this horror? Are we considering all giant animal movies as 'horror'? I consider King Kong more of a fantasy adventure film. Just my two cents.
It has been mentioned that "monster movies" count. My personal rule is that I will watch anything that is listed as horror at IMDB--I've already included Night of the Hunter, which some people may not agree with. Anyhow, I think IMDB is the easiest guide to use.
Old 10-03-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kong '05 is an epic, action adventure film, imo. "Monster Movies" are what I'd consider from the 50s era, Them, Tarantula, etc.
Old 10-03-06, 01:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
IMDB puts the 1933 & 1976 version in the genre of Horror but the 2005 version is not. Interesting.

I would definitely include the 1933 version as horror as it scared the piss out of moviegoers in the 30's and Kong was a rage filled monster and not the pussy of the 2005 film. The '76 version kinda falls in between the two of them.
come to think of it, you are right - as a kid (age 7) seeing this on TV did give me nightmares - it was "horrific"... the brontosaurus coming out of the water, nipping the guy off of the tree, Kong going ballistic and killing the island natives and even the elevated train destruction sequence during Kong's rampage through NYC.
Old 10-03-06, 03:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know if this link was already posed, but here's a list of horror movies on tv this month on all channels.

http://www.tv-now.com/stars/horror.htm

Granted, a lot of these will be edited and/or full frame. But there might be something interesting in here nonetheless.
Old 10-03-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the original King Kong....but no matter if it scared me or not....I would never put it in the horror camp. Everyone has their own system though. For me, King Kong is in the fantasy section...along with Godzilla and other big monsters. My fantasy section is properly placed next to sci-Fi since they often blend in. Now Alien?. Thats in the sci-fi but horror really drives it home. Much more than Kong.

And I don't live by what IMDB says either.
Old 10-03-06, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I love the original King Kong....but....I would never put it in the horror camp. Everyone has their own system though.
So M is a horror movie, but King Kong isn't? Yeah, I guess everyone has their own system.
Old 10-03-06, 07:16 PM
Cool New Member

King Kong is as much a Horror film as M is.
Old 10-03-06, 08:19 PM

Kong scared me not. Child killing and molestation...yes.
Old 10-03-06, 08:40 PM

After watching Let's Scare Jessica to Death, I really would like to hear Kim Newman expound on why he chose it as one of his top ten favorite films in the last Sight and Sound poll. He should have done a commentary for the new DVD. I enjoyed the music, sound design, and cinematography, but the lead actress (Zohra Lampert) drove me up the wall. It may be one of the most grating performances I have encountered. From the title, I mistakenly believed it may be similar to Les Diabolique, but it was more clearly influenced by Carnival Souls, Rosemary's Baby, Night of the Living Dead, and others.
Old 10-03-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just got back from NY and I'm a few days behind....gotta get cranking
Old 10-04-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And so it begins. Looks like we made it to Day 3 before the finger-pointing and the "That's not horror! Yes, it is! Well, Movie X is more horror than Movie Y! Well, it didn't scare me!" started.
Old 10-04-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Who cares?

I plan to do like I (and many others) did last year...delete my old post and post a revised list at the end of the thread each time it feels necessary.

If people don't care about members watching TV shows as horror movies why should they care about where and how you post?
Originally Posted by supfool!
UHOH! Was my linkage all for nothing?!

Let's keep the conversation to a minimum here peoples!
I agree the Film list thread was supposed to be for lists only.

and yes, the links you did, would be nullified if someone deletes their original list for a new one. (how rude )
Old 10-04-06, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
And so it begins. Looks like we made it to Day 3 before the finger-pointing and the "That's not horror! Yes, it is! Well, Movie X is more horror than Movie Y! Well, it didn't scare me!" started.
yes it would eventually come to that. Even while listening to the commentary track for The Company of Wolves director Neil Jordan notes several times he never really thought of his film as a traditional horror film but as a female coming of age tale with elements of a dark fairytale (...with werewolves). He goes onto say that the only film market that advertised the film as horror was 'the U.S' - interesting. To then watch Goke - Body Snatcher from Hell which has a vampire but plays out more of a scifi flick crosses over several genres all at once - guess a movie like Lifeforce could be construed as "horror" as well (as in the vein of Alien being much noted as a haunted house story set in outerspace).
Old 10-04-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love OwlAtHome's rating system!
Old 10-04-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol, I just watched the woeful Drive-In Massacre. What a funny movie. It had a chronic masturbator.
Old 10-04-06, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
and yes, the links you did, would be nullified if someone deletes their original list for a new one. (how rude )
Seriously, How dare they!
Old 10-04-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Even more horror sales...

47% off on horror titles at DDD:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/studi...ioID=69&page=0

Expires 10/16

Paramount Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sale at DDD (many of which are horror titles):

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promo...g1_1006&page=0

Expires 10/16

Halloween Horror Sale at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...F8&node=498868

Wal-Mart has a $4.88 horror display sale.
Old 10-04-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, the whole point of all the "placeholder" posts was because we intended to update our initial post and not create (and delete) old ones.
Old 10-04-06, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Even more horror sales...

47% off on horror titles at DDD:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/studi...ioID=69&page=0

Expires 10/16

Wal-Mart has a $4.88 horror display sale.
That's funny. DDD has "WAL-MART-HIGH COST OF LOW PRICE" listed in their Horror sale.
Old 10-04-06, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpotato
do you mind not refreshing every time gutwrencher? people know where to find your post. it could be called obnoxious.

Yes, I mind Mr. Potato. Why do you care? I'll post how I want, when I want. Blow.

Quote:
We're just supposed to update our initial list post, not make a new post everytime we add to the list.

caligulathegod...that's bullshit. Chad already stated....How you list your movies is completely up to you - whether you choose to continue your list in a new post each week or keep it all in one post.

I choose to do it both ways and it may be every other day or every day. Whats the rumpus? Who else needs to whine? BTW supfool....I use your links to check out other peoples horror viddey habbits and I thank you for the links. I have not deleted my original post. I update it and start a new post as well. For everybody that it bothers....it's no big deal kids!

Quote:
Who cares?

Thanks, Brianluvdvd. Great post!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-04-06 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 08:02 PM
Cool New Member

Hey Gutwrencher, how was Basket Case? I have seen the cover art on VHS and DVDs since I was a kid and wonder if its worth adding to my collection. Is it a slasher?
Old 10-04-06, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
Hey Gutwrencher, how was Basket Case? I have seen the cover art on VHS and DVDs since I was a kid and wonder if its worth adding to my collection. Is it a slasher?
Hi Ripper!

BC is a personal fave of mine. Pretty twisted shit...should be right up yer alley. Check out the great write-up right here on dvdtalk.

Notables: Two breasts. Eight corpses. Monster cam. Nekkid dream sequence with untethered wangdoodle. Eye gobbling. Lock picking. Toilet diving. Hypodermic closeups. Apartment trashing. Gratuitous visit to Statue of Liberty. Boozing.

Yes....trust me....get it for yer library.

Go here and check it out.....Basket Case write-up
Old 10-04-06, 08:32 PM

Quote:
We're just supposed to update our initial list post, not make a new post everytime we add to the list.

caligulathegod...that's bullshit. Chad already stated....How you list your movies is completely up to you - whether you choose to continue your list in a new post each week or keep it all in one post.

Quote:
Who cares?

Thanks, Brianluvdvd. Great post!

Hey, I was just answering the head scratch. Everyone else in the entire thread caught on to the idea of just updating his own list and not making a new post every time his list is updated. That is, everyone except you. Someone even went through the effort to link to every one's list post. We might have done that last year, but this is year 2 and there were lessons learned and it's become more refined and less chaotic. Even the idea of a separate thread for lists and discussions is a refinement. Each person creating a new list every day is just going to create a mess of a thread since not everyone is not updating at the same rate.

The idea isn't to make it fascist, but to make it easy for everyone to follow along and see what everyone else is watching. If we keep the list thread reasonably coherent then it will be better in the long run.
Old 10-04-06, 08:42 PM
Cool New Member

Hi Ripper!

BC is a personal fave of mine. Pretty twisted shit...should be right up yer alley. Check out the great write-up right here on dvdtalk.

Yes....trust me....get it for yer library.

Go here and check it out.....Basket Case write-up
Cool, sounds great. I will pick it up for sure then, it can be had quite cheaply. BTW How are you watching so many films. Are you fitting them in around your schedule?
Old 10-04-06, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Hey, I was just answering the head scratch. Everyone else in the entire thread caught on to the idea of just updating his own list and not making a new post every time his list is updated. That is, everyone except you.
I hate being the problem child here. I'm sad now....it's hanky time. I did not realize I was fucking up the thread by doing it the way I wanted, so to avoid confusing and upsetting everyone...I'll refrain from new posts. Jesus fucking Christ!

Oops...it figures you would respond just when I was updating and reposting my list already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.