Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-13-06, 08:18 AM

Watched so far: 0 Goal: 50

10/1

Last edited by JerryKILL; 09-29-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 09:03 AM

Can't we agree that episodes of TV series don't count? I mean, I know the definition of 'horror' may be broad, but surely the definition of 'movie' isn't so much. So I retract my mention of The Great Pumpkin; I was just pointing out that it was made the exception last year. The only other TV-related thing on people's lists were the Masters of Horror installments on Showtime.

As for comedies, I think there are definitely some that qualify as horror -- Shaun of the Dead and Bubba Ho-Tep come to mind. And War of the Worlds, definitely. Didn't its original broadcast in the '30's scare quite a few people....?
Old 09-13-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to watch the same movie only once for the month of October, which is the way it should be. Watching the same movie with commentary and without and counting that as 2 movies watched is just so....weak.
Old 09-13-06, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

I'll be in.. sounds fun.
Old 09-13-06, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm going to watch the same movie only once for the month of October, which is the way it should be. Watching the same movie with commentary and without and counting that as 2 movies watched is just so....weak.

I agree, that does sound tacky, but most of the film I saw last year were the commentary track, even if I had seen them before:

Horror Film List 2005
Old 09-13-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care much if people watch the same movie twice, once with the commentary and once without. I'm not competing, I just think it will be fun to watch lots of horror movies in October.

My arbitrary method of deciding what I'll count--if DVD Profiler has horror as one of the genres listed I'll count it, if not I won't.
Old 09-13-06, 02:08 PM

I think that if the IMDB has it listed as horror or as a subgenre of horror then it should count. Halloween themed movies should also count. Commentaries of horror movies should count. Personally I can't stand watching the same movie more than once a day, but if others can then more power to them.

Last edited by advdfreak; 09-13-06 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If we do any more themed challenges like this in the future, which I really hope we do, there need to be two threads - one for discussion and one just for lists.
Old 09-13-06, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
If we do any more themed challenges like this in the future, which I really hope we do, there need to be two threads - one for discussion and one just for lists.
I was thinking the same thing myself.
Old 09-13-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone else besdies me think this contest is a little nerdy?
Old 09-13-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well here are the key words listed on imdb.com for Repulsion and Pnk Floyd: The Wall

Repulsion

Bizarre
Terror
Surreal
Dream Like
Gore
Surrealism
Bludgeoning
Blood
Slit Throat
Depression
Razor Blade
Sexual Repression
Sister
Apartment
Independent Film
Virgin
Insanity
Isolation
Psychological Drama
Fear
Hallucination
Murder
Nightmare
Rape
Controversial
Throat Slitting
Incest
Bathroom
Door Bell
Landlord
Lipstick
Postcard
Telephone

Pink Floyd: The Wall

Surrealism
Violence
Suicide Attempt
Racist
Emotional Depression
Disturbing
Psychedelic
Riot
Rock Music
Rock Musical
School
Self Mutilation
Surreal
Anarchy
Avant Garde
Based On Album
Cult Favorite
Drugs
Genital Monster
Grief
Insanity
Nightmare
Gay Slur
Racial Slur
Skinhead
Mother Son Relationship
Police Brutality
Male Nudity
Topless
Adultery
Air Raid
Animated Sequence
Anti Authority
Anzio
Backstage
Blood
Body Shaving
Bullet
Catholic Church
Corporal Punishment
Cross
Cuckold
Depression
Doctor
England
Fantasy Sequence
Fire
Flashback Sequence
Flower
Gore
Groupie
Hammer
Hotel
Looting
Los Angeles California
Loss Of Father
Mask
Neo Fascism
Nonlinear Timeline
Oral Sex
Phallus
Playground
Prank
Profanity
Rat
Rock Concert
Rock Star
Sex
Shaving
Swimming Pool
Teacher
Television
Train Tunnel
Wall
Wedding
Window Smashing
WWII
Children

Both are technically 'psychological dramas',but feature plenty of disturbing themes and imagery,which make for a 'horror-experiance'. But only Replusion has ever been listed by critics on best horror lists. While I did see The Wall mentioned in a splatter films guide years ago calling it a 'new wave splatter musical' taking disturbing imagery/themes to another level.

Also it's been a few years since I last saw the film. And I'd love to view it soon and think it should count pretty much from how broad horror is.
Old 09-13-06, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Agreed. And another one for imdb lists?

(Anyone up for deleting all their discussion posts and just leaving their placeholders? Otherwise we'll be at 100 pages before we even get to Oct 1.)
Old 09-13-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
My arbitrary method of deciding what I'll count--if DVD Profiler has horror as one of the genres listed I'll count it, if not I won't.
that's the way that i intend to do it too
Old 09-13-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Does anyone else besdies me think this contest is a little nerdy?
Old 09-13-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Nerdy?! I am both shocked and appalled!

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Both are technically 'psychological dramas',but feature plenty of disturbing themes and imagery,which make for a 'horror-experiance'. But only Replusion has ever been listed by critics on best horror lists. While I did see The Wall mentioned in a splatter films guide years ago calling it a 'new wave splatter musical' taking disturbing imagery/themes to another level.

Also it's been a few years since I last saw the film. And I'd love to view it soon and think it should count pretty much from how broad horror is.
I'm embarrassed to say I've never seen the film so I'm not exactly qualified to answer that question. But based on your past posts you obviously know your horror, so if you think it should qualify...then go for it.
Old 09-13-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may try to work in a Elm Street or Friday the 13th for the fest. But I have already watched Elm Streets 1-4 and Fridays 1-5 earlier this year. So I don't know if I'd want to rewatch those,or continue to the next sequels(of which Elm Street 5 is boring). At least I'd have the great Jason Lives to look forward to,but I dread sitting through Elm Street 5.
Old 09-14-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll shoot for one per day. Maybe more on weekends if no good football games are on.
Old 09-14-06, 02:09 PM
Hammer & Amicus Fanatic

I'm game for another round, this year.

Last edited by Crazee4DVDs; 10-03-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 03:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

In the spirit of Xbox 360 Achievements, I'd like to suggest the following sub-tasks that could be fun to try to get in pursuit of 100 films.

* Watch one film from every decade. (Starting at least with the 30s, or earlier if you have access to them.)

* Watch films in at least three different foreign languages. (Putting English language films on Spanish language tracks doesn't count. )

* Watch a film in each of the following horror subgenres:
--- Vampire
--- Werewolf
--- Ghost/haunting
--- Witchcraft/satanic/religious
--- Zombie
--- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac
--- Monster/creature feature (anything from Creature from the Black Lagoon to Snakes on a Plane could apply. I'd even count something like Cujo here.)

* Watch every film in a series. (Easy if you pick something with one sequel, difficult if you with something like Friday the 13th.)

* Watch a film and its remake.

Note: Films could apply to multiple categories. Again, just an idea that could add some additional fun to this.
Old 09-14-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like those "achievements" DRG. Very good ideas. I'm in...now to formulate a blueprint...
Old 09-14-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to try to knock down a few horror franchises. Like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet Halloween, The Omen, and also I've got most of the Universal Monsters boxsets.
Old 09-14-06, 05:36 PM

*SPOT RESERVED*

I am gonna do 30 movies in 30 days.
Old 09-14-06, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I'm going to try to knock down a few horror franchises. Like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet Halloween, The Omen, and also I've got most of the Universal Monsters boxsets.
If everybody doesn't watch all Friday the 13th movies on Friday, October 13th, then that's just unacceptable...or not
Old 09-14-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know it was mentioned, but i didn't find a complete anwser, would watching all 3 versions of dawn of the dead 78 count as 3 viewings.

and what the hell, I'll play, I've got enough horror movies at home (and the local blockbuster has a decent sellection.)
Old 09-14-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally, I'd say it was against the spirit of the challenge to count different versions of the same movie (despite what I said earlier). I figure, if one is going to watch a set number of movies as a challenge, then one should watch that many different movies. It's not as tacky as counting commentaries, but watching different cuts of the same movie is kind of a cheat.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.