Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So I took a chance on Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I took a chance on Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 1

I have heard about the defective discs, but figured for 22 bucks it was worth the plunge. Got my fingers crossed. Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about the playability of this set?
Old 08-29-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a set with no defects and sometimes certain players can handle the defects in the discs. For instance all of the known trouble DVD-18 Universal sets I own have problems with all my Sony DVD players, but will play back perfectly on my Denon. This includes Columbo Season 2, Hammer Collection, Bela Lugosi collection, Orgazmo and a few others. I can try them in the Sony and I have also tried them in my in laws Phillips and it will freeze in the same spots on those players. However, on my Denon the playback is flawless.

There is a thread in here somewhere tracking all of the problem discs and AHP Season 1 is definitely on the list. I would save the receipt and try watching them while you will have to return them just in case.
Old 08-30-06, 10:28 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about taking a chance with it as well. Alfred Hitchcock is my favourite director and I'm attempting to collect all of his DVDs. I used to love this show.
Old 08-30-06, 11:05 AM

I've watched all but the second side of the last disc and had no playability problems at all on my Harman/Kardon player. As far as content, the show is very entertaining, right up there with Twilight Zone (I'd never seen Hitchcock Presents before, so I took a big chance when I bought this set!)
Old 08-30-06, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I have heard about the defective discs, but figured for 22 bucks it was worth the plunge. Got my fingers crossed. Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about the playability of this set?
Good for you, but you could have used the search function and discussed here:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Safe to Buy?

or here:

I want to get Hitchcock Presents Season One, but after those reviews...

or here:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Due 10.04.05
Old 08-30-06, 07:27 PM

I bought the set a while back, and found that one of the disks did give my player problems. Some of the episodes couldn't be accessed through the menu or by autoplay...however, I was able to play the episodes by manually selecting it with the "next" button on my remote. Although a bit of a hassle to play the defective disk, I was still able to watch all of the episodes and ultimately glad that I bought the set.
Old 08-30-06, 10:09 PM

No problems here. Played fine.
Old 08-31-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought mine