Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal Classic Sci-Fi Collection 9/19/2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
I wish they were releasing these separately; the only one I'm interested in is The Incredible Shrinking Man...

Rob
Think of it this way; they only released two of the films here in the UK (Tarantula and the Incredible Shrinking Man) and the recommended retail price for each one is higher than the boxset of five is in the USA!

If you really only want the one film, you could import it, but it will cost you more than the set of five!!
Old 08-19-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A bit more info from DVD Review, posted today (8-19) - it's a Best Buy exclusive. Also, if you plan on getting it, pre-order now to save some $$$:

Finally we are able to let you know everything about Universal’s upcoming release of The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection. The DVD set, which will contain Tarantula, The Mole People, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters and Monster On The Campus has been the grounds for a lot of speculation this past week, since we broke the news, especially since there was no other source of confirmation available anywhere on the Internet.
The reason for that is that this 3-disc DVD set is an Exclusive for Best Buy. This means that this box set will be available for purchase only at Best Buy locations and on Best Buy’s website. It also explains why the release will not contain any extras and why Universal did not make any official announcement of the title earlier or have information available through their regular publicity and marketing channels.
As we have pointed out here before, the DVD set will be released onSeptember 19 and has a $29.98 price tag. However, you can now pre-order the DVD set online on Best Buy’s website at a reduced pre-order price of only $19.99, which makes this set even more attractive.
Each of the movies in the box set features a brand new restored transfer but will come without any bonus materials. Make sure you order your title soon because with an exclusive promotion like this, supplies are undoubtedly limited.
Old 08-19-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
A bit more info from DVD Review, posted today (8-19) - it's a Best Buy exclusive. Also, if you plan on getting it, pre-order now to save some $$$:.
Oh NO! Best Buy don't ship to me in the UK!!

What dumbass at Universal thought this stupid idea up?

It just cuts down sales!

If any USA reader could get me a copy and then send it to me, I'd be very grateful. Happy to pay all shipping costs natch.

Last edited by Nebiroth; 08-19-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-19-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nooooooooo, not Best Buy and their ship everything in a little lightly padded bag. Darn it. I wonder if this will eventually go wider or if it will just stick with Best Buy.
Old 08-19-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of an exclusive like what Best Buy has done. Luckily for me, I have a few around my area. I have a feeling this will be a very limited set.
Old 08-19-06, 02:30 PM

Was just about to post this. Looks like I was 3 hours late. Just placed my order because I'm not depending on BestBuy to actually have it in stock when I get there or have any left. Here's a link for y'all. Looking forward to this one, everything except the cover of course. This set is definitely crying out for repackaging and custom covers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1559115

Last edited by honestjohn; 08-19-06 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Posted over at DVDReview.com

A word about original aspect ratios on Universal classics

Today I want to talk to you a little about original aspect ratios. The announcement of classics like 'Tarantula' and 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' last week caused a lot of confusion on the Internet in regards to these films' original aspect ratios, fueled my a lot of misinformation.
To make a long story short, Universal will be releasing the films in 'The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection' in their original aspect ratios. This means that 4 out of these 5 films will come in their original fullframe versions, while 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' will be released in a 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer.
Some of the films in the set were re-released after their theatrical runs in matted widescreen versions at one point or another but they were never really meant to be seen that way. Apparently, it was common practice to re-release older films in a matted version during the 50s and later. These films weren't true widescreen and were not the original versions. It is easy to get confused with this so we thought we'd clarify this for a moment to make sure you all understand that Universal is making sure to present each and every one of their films in their original aspect ratio.
As a result Universal decided not to release these matted versions because they feel that the fans of these classic films will want to see them in their original form. I couldn't agree more. Incidentally, the same is true for This Island Earth, which will be released this week. Again, this film was originally shot for a fullframe presentation and that is the way Universal presents it on the DVD.
My reply:
Stuart Galbraith IV
Regarding the aspect ratios:

What is the source of your information? This simply isn't true as it's been repeatedly documented that these films were all released in widescreen with aspect ratios up to 2:1. I've seen production files on some of these films, and Universal itself in the 1950s provided trade papers like VARIETY and THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER with official specs that were published when the films were reviewed. For example: quoting VARIETY's 3/30/55 review of THIS ISLAND EARTH: "Aspect Ratio: 2-1."

Yes, fans want to see these films in their original form -- 4:3 isn't.

Last edited by S Galbraith IV; 08-22-06 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-22-06, 11:59 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Have never ordered from Best Buy online. Anyone know if they ship early to make sure you receive it on its release date, or do they not even ship until release date, leaving you stuck for a week?
Old 08-22-06, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by S Galbraith IV
Posted over at DVDReview.com

My reply:
Stuart Galbraith IV
Regarding the aspect ratios:

What is the source of your information? This simply isn't true as it's been repeatedly documented that these films were all released in widescreen with aspect ratios up to 2:1. I've seen production files on some of these films, and Universal itself in the 1950s provided trade papers like VARIETY and THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER with official specs that were published when the films were reviewed. For example: quoting VARIETY's 3/30/55 review of THIS ISLAND EARTH: "Aspect Ratio: 2-1."

Yes, fans want to see these films in their original form -- 4:3 isn't.
Interseting Stuart. Ever since this thing began, I've been searching for the truth and thought I found it when Guido posted the above. Could it be that these were originally shown in the Theaters Widescreen and then when they were shown on TV and put out on VHS it was done open-matte. This could account for the confusion, of people seeing certain scenes which appear to be cropped now and missing information on the top or bottom. Perhaps we are just use to seeing the open-matte version rather than the original widescreen aspect ratio. Do you know of anywhere online that shows the true intended aspect ratio's of these films? I've Googled until I can't see straight anymore and have come up empty. You'd think this info would be somewhere online.

Last edited by honestjohn; 08-22-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by honestjohn
Do you know of anywhere online that shows the true intended aspect ratio's of these films? I've Googled until I can't see straight anymore and have come up empty. You'd think this info would be somewhere online.
There is a lot of discussion about this in these HTF threads:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=240288&page=3

Note Peter Apruzzese's post #67

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=234359&page=2

Note all of Jack Threakston's posts, especially #59

The gist is that by 1954, all U.S. studios were making all non-'scope films to be projected at a ratio in the range of 1.66:1-2:1, with 1.85:1 being the most widely used. None of the films on this boxset were intended to be shown theatrically at the 1.33:1 ratio.
Old 08-22-06, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
There is a lot of discussion about this in these HTF threads:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=240288&page=3

Note Peter Apruzzese's post #67

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=234359&page=2

Note all of Jack Threakston's posts, especially #59

The gist is that by 1954, all U.S. studios were making all non-'scope films to be projected at a ratio in the range of 1.66:1-2:1, with 1.85:1 being the most widely used. None of the films on this boxset were intended to be shown theatrically at the 1.33:1 ratio.
Obscure, thanks for replying, but that still leaves a large part of my question unanswered. Do you know if these films were released to TV,VHS open-matte? Which will show extra information or did they take the original Widescreen release and crop it on the sides so it would appear 1.33:1.
Old 08-22-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen any of these on TV, so I can't answer. My best guess is that they were open matte on TV and VHS. DVDSavant indicates in on his homepage that The Incredible Shrinking Man was hard-matted to 1.85:1 (makes sense with all of the special effects shots - don't show more than is absolutely necessary for the correct ratio) so it was probably pan-and-scanned.

The main cause of anxiety remains aspect ratios. All of the titles would be properly presented enhanced at 1:85 or 1:66 but have always been issued flat. The killer title is The Incredible Shrinking Man, a hard-matted film that has always been shown in a pan-scanned version and really needs presentation at 1:85 or a little wider. We hope Universal is as sensitive to aspect ratio here as they were on their wonderful Hammer Horror set from last fall. Thanks for reading -- Glenn Erickson
Old 08-22-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

best buy exclusive....thats ok....I'lll be there day one for this....good chance this will get a wider release down the road (like just about every other best buy exclusive I have ever seen)
Old 08-27-06, 08:31 PM

I was a fan of monster(horror) sci-fi movies when I was a child in the 1950's. The local movie theater could show both wide screen and standard format films. Many(most?) of the movies as I remember were standard-especially low budget black and white films. The widescreen ones tended to be color big budget movies. Widescreen was NOT a given in the 50's. I remember many times when the wrong lens was used for the first few minutes until the projectionist made the switch to anamorphic. In every case that I remember it was for color films. You'd have these very thin people doing something on the screen and people would laugh. I also remember how disappointed I was when they had colorized lobby cards outside under the marquee but the movie was black and white. Well, times change and I really like black and white films now.

Last edited by Benshi; 08-27-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome news all around. have been waiting for tarantula and and shrinking man. used to have a super 8 shortie of tarantula (among others) without sound that i used to run my own movie night with lol
Old 08-28-06, 01:58 PM

From Glenn Erickson's review of This Island Earth.

"The argument about the correct Aspect Ratio for the Universal Science Fiction films of these years (1953-57) has been renewed by a just-announced Classic Sci Fi Ultimate Edition set to be released in September. Universal has foolishly put out a press release claiming that 1:33 is the correct AR for these films. That's simply not the case; the studio just wants to avoid the extra expense of creating multiple transfers for older library titles. I've seen most of these films under original conditions and even prepared some for projection. Let me try to outline the facts.

The years 1953 through 1955 saw an exhibition transition brought on by CinemaScope. Flat films originally shown 1:37 were matted to 1:66 and finally as wide as 1:85 and called "widescreen." The Universal handouts for It Came from Outer Space say that it is in 'widescreen', which indicates at least 1:66.

In practice, all of these films were exhibited at different ARs depending on whether or not individual theater screens had been updated. There's a wide discrepancy between: 1) The Aspect Ratio intended by the director of photography (which could be superceded by the studio), 2) The studio's records, 3) Projection instructions accompanying the prints themselves and 4) The information handed out in suspect publicity announcements. Often negating all the above, the exhibitors showed the films in whatever way they felt like showing them, anyway!"
Old 09-01-06, 10:22 PM

(Potentially) awesome news! I am SO psyched to get Shrinking Man already. Damn I love that movie.

Anyone want to wager that Universal announces a Special Edition of the TISM some time before next July?

Fingers crossed on the aspect ratio issue.
Old 09-02-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, after reading the last page about this being a BestBuy exclusive, I don't feel so bad that I already own the most important (for me) title, The Incredible Shrinking Man in its R2 anamorphic 1.78:1 release.

When some of those MGM Midnight Movies were released as BestBuy exclusives, I never could find the ones I wanted on their shelves, but eventually they were available from other sources. Since I have my fav from this collection, I'll wait it out and hope the release goes wide at some point.

Last edited by marty888; 09-02-06 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from the best buy ad

The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection >>>> $19.99 ****

Features Monster On The Campus, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters, Tarantula and The Mole People on 3 DVDs.

****Best Buy Exclusive Sci-Fi Set // Minimum 6 per store // No Rainchecks
Old 09-14-06, 05:54 PM

Received an email from Best Buy today that my preorder has shipped.

Last edited by JerryKILL; 09-14-06 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad this is advertised. I'll likely do an in-store pickup to make sure I get one.
Old 09-14-06, 07:49 PM

Yup. Received my email as well from BestBuy. Also saw a post from someone on another forum stating that he already picked up the DVD at BestBuy today because they were put out early and the transfers looked great.
Old 09-14-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats good to hear....can't wait.
Old 09-17-06, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
Nooooooooo, not Best Buy and their ship everything in a little lightly padded bag. Darn it. I wonder if this will eventually go wider or if it will just stick with Best Buy.
Maybe they'll put it in a tin?

Best,
Scott
Old 09-17-06, 06:02 PM

mole people rules with the albino sumerians and all and batman's butler is their king.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.