Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Trend in How TV Shows are Released?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
This newsflash just in - some people actually enjoy different things than you do.
I'm well aware of that fact, but that's what sucks about TV on DVD releases. You may really dig a show, you and 12 other people on the planet, but it's unfortuante that a studio has to cater to more than 13 people, it is a business after all. But I think it sucks for the die-hards to get screwed simply because "not enough" people are purchasing the release. I'm unsure of the cost of putting a series on disc as opposed to a single film, but I'm amazed at some of the stuff that actually makes it to DVD. I was shocked as shit to see MST3K survive as well as it has on disc...you mention The Satellite of Love to most people and they don't have the foggiest.
Old 08-08-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see some people realize 'it's about the money' and 'it's not about what you like'. There needs to be a broad interest in something for it to catch on, become popular, and become more marketable past being a hit on a TV station. When it goes to DVD for retail sale, people will need to buy that product. If they don't, then it goes bye-bye! Some people act like a conspiracy but it's really not. What's the point in a company looking at their sales graph saying 'boy, this didnt sell so well, but we're obligated to keep putting it out because a small percentage of people will still want it'. Doesn't make a lot of sense, right? If it was popular enough, companies would bang out shows like no tomorrow. And, these companies can devote more time and money to the big sellers. Just look at Buffy and how regular it was and it sold well. Take a look at Seinfeld, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King Of The Hill. We've seen because certain shows sold so well, they even sped up the rate of the release schedule from once to twice a year. As I've already said though, as probable as a 'scare tactic' this is, it's never the only motive for saying 'buy it or else it goes away'. It's more like a warning, if you don't pick up sales of a certain series they won't throw more money into a fire for it.