DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How The Grinch Stole Christmas! (animated) Deluxe Edition ----> 11/21/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How The Grinch Stole Christmas! (animated) Deluxe Edition ----> 11/21/06

From dvdactive.com:

Title: How The Grinch Stole Christmas! (IMDb)
Starring: Boris Karloff
Released: 21st November 2006
SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
Warner Home Video made sure to do their part to help curb the sweltering heat here in the states today by announcing a deluxe edition of the Dr. Suess Christmas classic, How The Grinch Stole Christmas!, which will be available to own on the 21st of November at a retail price of $19.98. For the original story's upcoming 50th Anniversary, the folks at Warner have digitally remastered this perennial animated favourite and have planned a bag full of extras that would make Santa proud, including an all-new 'From Who-ville to Hollywood' behind-the-scenes featurette. The disc's other announced extras look to be identical to those found on the previous release, which included an audio commentary, interviews, a 'Jump to Musical Selections' feature, pencil tests, and the animated feature Horton Hears a Hoo! too. We'll let you know all about any other new extras as the information comes in, but for now we've attached our first look at the artwork for release below.
cover art here:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...christmas.html
Old 07-26-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Perhaps we can have a green grinch instead of a brown one.
Old 07-26-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never picked up the original version, so this will be a definite pickup
Old 07-27-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they really did 'digitally remaster' the picture and managed to color correct it so it looks right, I'll buy...
Old 07-27-06, 10:20 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Not only correct the color but the registration issue with the snow near the very end (correct on the first pressing but jacked up on the 2nd edition).
Old 07-27-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. I still have the original, original version (MGM?). Since I only watch it once every Christmas I doubt I'll double-dip.
Old 07-27-06, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
If they really did 'digitally remaster' the picture and managed to color correct it so it looks right, I'll buy...
Same here
Old 07-27-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i forget -- did they remaster the picture when WB got it from MGM?
Old 07-27-06, 11:13 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by darmok
i forget -- did they remaster the picture when WB got it from MGM?
Yes, but in my opinion, it was a step down, not up; the Grinch was still drably colored, and then a new registration problem appeared for a single shot (as I mentioned above) that played just fine on the first release. The remastered version was only a keeper for the increase in bonus features.
Old 07-27-06, 12:15 PM

I like the cover, I hope the TNT special hosted by Phil Hartman is included.
Old 07-27-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
I have yet to buy any other release so I'll pick this one up..if quality is there
Old 11-29-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i got this last nite for my daughter. Oddly enough i sold my old copy on half.com for only 2 bucks less than it cost me.

The packaging looks great with a minor flaw. The slipcover (which is on the first pressings) has a thin felt like 3-d look for the red suit. The case is also covered in glitter to give it that snowy look. the problem is the glitter is coming off strong. The girl who grabbed one out of the back for me at best buy (as well as a stack of others) was covered in it when she came out. When i handed it to my wife the first thing she said was "this glitter is going to be everywhere"

still looks good, but you may want to give it a shake down before landing it between your OOP how to get ahead in advertising Criterion and how the west was won
Old 11-29-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
The case is also covered in glitter to give it that snowy look. the problem is the glitter is coming off strong. The girl who grabbed one out of the back for me at best buy (as well as a stack of others) was covered in it when she came out. When i handed it to my wife the first thing she said was "this glitter is going to be everywhere"
You've got to love that... I can't wait to see how many packages get held up for testing at the post office because they're distributing powdery white substances.
Old 11-29-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
still looks good, but you may want to give it a shake down before landing it between your OOP how to get ahead in advertising Criterion and how the west was won
Between? Wouldn't it go before both of those?

Rob
Old 11-29-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, is this the same transfer from the previous release with the "yellow-green" grinch? Or has it been improved?
Old 11-29-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rob, you are corrent

Snowball, I have not watched it yet. My daughter has a birthday in a few days, so its getting wrapped up for her. I'll let you know when i lay eyes on it
Old 11-29-06, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowball
So, is this the same transfer from the previous release with the "yellow-green" grinch? Or has it been improved?
No, the old transfer--thank the Maker!--is forever banished to whatever hell exists for piss-poor DVDs. The new transfer is a near revelation and the Grinch is finally, deeply, richly GREEN!
Old 11-29-06, 10:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Darn, so do I really have to buy this for the third time?

I want a green grinch.

And it looks like this one has bonus features not found on the first two.
Old 11-30-06, 09:42 AM
Banned

Trever, yep, more bonus features (though it drops the audio commentary with animator Phil Roman and June Foray that was on the 2nd issue of this release, this 50th Birthday Deluxe Edition being the 3rd, so if you have that and want to retain all the bonus features--and I know you and I do--you'll need to keep it) and the picture is a million times better, one of the most immediately jaw-droppingly advanced image upgrades I've yet come across in my long history of double-dipping.
Old 11-30-06, 10:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can somebody post some screencap comparisons of the new vs. 2nd release prints?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-30-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wahlers
Can somebody post some screencap comparisons of the new vs. 2nd release prints?
I wouldn't mind seeing this, as well. It's hard for me to double-dip on a movie I only pull out one a year (although the same could be argued about some of the other movies I've re-bought over the years). Thanks!
Old 11-30-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
though it drops the audio commentary with animator Phil Roman and June Foray that was on the 2nd issue of this release, this 50th Birthday Deluxe Edition being the 3rd, so if you have that and want to retain all the bonus features--and I know you and I do--you'll need to keep it
The new version also has no chapter stops and, more importantly, NO SUBTITLES! I wonder what idiot made that decision.
Old 11-30-06, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
No, the old transfer--thank the Maker!--is forever banished to whatever hell exists for piss-poor DVDs. The new transfer is a near revelation and the Grinch is finally, deeply, richly GREEN!
Thanks FM.

BTW, and forgive me if I'm confusing you with someone else, how did you like The Hidden?

Back on topic, I'll be triple dipping on this title before Christmas.

Hopefully this won't bore you all too much, but let me tell you my favorite Grinch story.

I went to Virginia Tech (go Hokies!), and we had frequent fire alarms in our dorm. At least once a week, and often in the middle of the night, we'd all have to vacate the building for what was always a false alarm or prank pull of the fire alarm.

One night right before Christmas break, the alarm went off right in the middle of the Grinch. I begrudingly trudged out into the snow, angry that I was missing my favorite Christmas cartoon.

But low and behold, someone on the first floor had put their TV in the window, turned it around facing the cold masses in the courtyard, and cranked the volume.

A group of about 5 of us huddled outside the window, and watched the last half of the Grinch, staying outside even after the all clear was given.

This might sound fruity, but it really was a special moment, one that I'll probably retell here next year when we have a thread about the HD release of Grinch.
Old 11-30-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
For whatever reason, Barnes & Noble decided not to stock that glittery cover.

Someone must have looked at all the glitter flaking off and said no way!
Old 11-30-06, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks FM.

BTW, and forgive me if I'm confusing you with someone else, how did you like The Hidden?
No, you got me right--I'm ashamed to admit I haven't yet watched it. Man, they just come in so much faster than I can knock 'em out. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I'm lucky enough to give it a spin...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.