DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One Season Wonders

Old 07-29-06, 10:48 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by blargh
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Hello, Devon!!!

Sorry, he'll always be Devon Miles to me.
Old 07-29-06, 10:50 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by AOD
I think it would be great to get some obscure, one season tv cartoons on DVD also. I would like to see the only season of Dragon's Lair. It was even hard to catch when it was on tv.
I liked that one as well, not to mention SPACE ACE. Watched both of them recently, drop me a line if you'd like to, er, discuss them.
Old 07-29-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Of the ones mentioned that are not yet out I'd most like Strange Luck and Now and Again.

I remember that Andy Griffith series and it was fun.
Old 07-29-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize that "Tales of the Gold Monkey" only lasted 1 season - or that "Doctor, Doctor" lasted 3! I know I have a few "Doctor, Doctor"s on tape. I wonder if I still have the Gold Monkey pilot... I'd definitely consider buying them along with the previously mentioned "Frank's Place" & "Tenspeed & Brown Shoe."

My picks:

Johnny Staccato - Even though I recorded most of the episodes from Trio, I'm kind of hoping that the full season will get released under the Brilliant but Cancelled banner. John Cassavetes starred as the jazz pianist/P.I. Many names got early guest roles: Dean Stockwell, Michael Landon, Cloris Leachman, Elizabeth Montgomery, Gena Rowlands, Martin Landau, Mary Tyler Moore...

Gideon's Crossing - doctor show starring post-Homicide Andre Braugher & pre-Practice Rhona Mitra. I thought the show got better with each episode.

Sable - based on the Jon Sable, Freelance comic book. This wasn't the greatest & didn't last long, but I have fond memories of it. May have been Rene Russo's first acting gig?

The Dave Thomas Show - very funny prime time sketch show. I think it was a pre-reality-craze summer replacement. Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Chevy Chase, Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara all guested. This was possibly the last time that Dan Aykroyd was funny in anything.

Plenty of 1 season cartoons like:

The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley
Project G.eeK.eR.
Fantastic Four (60s Hanna-Barbera version)

I don't know if I'd buy it - because I can't remember how good it was, but I'd like to see "Davis Rules" again with Jonathan Winters, Bonnie Hunt, & Randy Quaid. It would also be nice to see Bonnie Hunt's "The Building" again - if only to catch David Letterman as the masked thief.
Old 07-29-06, 05:17 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by PDTV
I liked that one as well, not to mention SPACE ACE. Watched both of them recently, drop me a line if you'd like to, er, discuss them.

Email sent.....
Old 07-29-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's About Time
The Double Life of Henry Phyfe
Occasional Wife
Rango
Blue Light
Old 07-29-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dungeons and Dragons (the animated show from the 80s)

I loved that show as a kid.
Old 07-30-06, 12:37 AM
Mao

Oooooh!

I forgot "The Slap Maxwell Story"!
Old 07-30-06, 11:42 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Dungeons and Dragons (the animated show from the 80s)

I loved that show as a kid.
It's coming from BCI!!!
Old 07-30-06, 11:44 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by Mao
Oooooh!

I forgot "The Slap Maxwell Story"!
Well, if "Buffalo Bill" made the cut...
Old 07-30-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PDTV
It's coming from BCI!!!
Any date or link to news on it? Actually nevermmind i found an article about it on IGN.com looks like a November release for 50$ to contain all 27 episodes.

Last edited by xmiyux; 07-30-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 12:15 PM

1. Booker with Richard Grieco
2. Eyes with Tim Daly

And another vote for "Tales of the Gold Monkey."
Old 07-30-06, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunnydojo
I'd actually love a DVD release of Thieves with John Stamos and Melissa George. It was fun while it lasted and Stamos seemed incredibly enthusiastic about it when he appeared to promote it on The Tonight Show (mere days before it was cancelled), so he'd probably be good for commentaries or at least an interview, not to mention that he'd be easy to grab since I'm pretty sure he's still under contract with ABC, for Jake in Progress.
He's actually going to be on ER now. But considering how few episodes of Thieves there were, he should be able to fit something into this schedule.

How about Scott Bakula's Mr. & Mrs. Smith?

I also want my Brimstone, damnit!
Old 07-30-06, 12:49 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Rico Diablo
2. Eyes with Tim Daly
Don't remember that one, but "The Fugitive" would be good to have. There was a release in R2, but I think it was only a couple of episodes. That'd do it for me, but it seems kind of expensive, at least from vendors on the US site.
Old 07-30-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a couple to jog the older DVDTalkers memory:

Quark
you can see Quark episodes at http://quark.name/

When Things Were Rotten
Old 07-30-06, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lokimok
I don't know if I'd buy it - because I can't remember how good it was, but I'd like to see "Davis Rules" again with Jonathan Winters, Bonnie Hunt, & Randy Quaid. It would also be nice to see Bonnie Hunt's "The Building" again - if only to catch David Letterman as the masked thief.
Thank you! I could never remember the name of that show. I liked it myself and I'll always think of Patricia Clarkson as "Cosmo" no matter what I see her in.
Old 07-31-06, 07:03 AM
Banned

Another one I forgot earlier: PEACEMAKERS (USA network show starring Tom Berenger from a few years back; sort of CSI in the Old West).
Old 07-31-06, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by RKillgore

When Things Were Rotten
Another vote for "When Things Were Rotten"... the Mel Brooks Robin Hood spoof.

Mmmm....Misty Rowe.....
Old 07-31-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this, but Robbery Homicide Division with Tom Sizemore and produced by Michael Mann (and I think he directed an episode or two).

And another I just remembered: The Handler starring Joe Pantoliano.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-31-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was that show starring Rod Taylor about some Texas rangers in the old west who get transported to present day in a weird time storm and open up a detective agency. Didn't last long.
Old 07-31-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As for stuff that's not out yet, and may never be, I'll also throw in some love for ...

BRIMSTONE
BIRDS OF PREY
STARK RAVING MAD (but not sure if it only ran for one season)
DARK SKIES (which I thought ran for 2 seasons, maybe?)
MALIBU SHORES (1995 pre THE O.C. like show with Kerri Russell and Charisma Carpenter, among others)
Old 08-01-06, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
What was that show starring Rod Taylor about some Texas rangers in the old west who get transported to present day in a weird time storm and open up a detective agency. Didn't last long.

It was called Outlaws! I loved that show! Here is another vote for Tales of the Gold Monkey. I also wouldn't mind seeing Bring'em Back Alive with Bruce Boxlietner. And to branch off the one season wonder topic for a moment...When the hell is Seven Days coming out on dvd?!!?

Take care all!!
Old 08-01-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone remember PREY? I was so angry when it ended. I loved Tom, hated the chick (went on to play Grace in Will & Grace). Also had a thing for Longstreet, Man from Atlantis, VR and a host of Sci-Fi. I would love to have a bunch of pilots that didn't even make it into a series let alone get a full season.
Old 08-01-06, 10:26 AM

The Lazarus Man (Robert Urich)

Legend (Richard Dean Anderson)
Old 08-01-06, 03:03 PM

Along this lines you'll find Surface and Invasion among those out. I won't buy these even though I loved the series because they really never ended. So the DVD seems a waste to me.

Just like Point Pleasant.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.