Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Universe DVD movies coming (New Frontier, Judas Contract, Superman/Doomsday)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was announced at San Diego Comic Con today. I'm a lot more excited about this than I was about Ultimate Avengers.

from Newsarama:
Working with Warner Bros. Home Video and WB Animation, the company will launch a new line of direct-to-video DC animated movies that are being designed with DC Comics fans in mind, Levitz said.

He continued, saying that DC is looking to do a series of titles that will tell the character bits and stories that were important to fans, and will be working with the comic book creators on them. The first title will be the previously-leaked animated film version of Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier. Cooke will work with Stan (JLU) Berkowitz on the film, with Cooke providing key art direction.

Another title in the series, Levitz continued, will be Superman/Doomsday, which will take the "essence" of the Superman/Doomsday story - and will be directed by Bruce Timm and written by Duane Capizzi, who's currently working on The Batman animated series.

The third title in the series will be an animated version of the classic story Teen Titans story “The Judas Contract”, written by Marv Wolfman. Tom DeStano (X-Men) will join Wolfman as co-writer and producer on the film.

"This is just the beginning," Levitz said. "We're sitting around and thinking of more...so send all your suggestions in."

"We're going to take the marquee-value characters that have love across the generations," Levitz said. "And use the stellar characters so that the parental generation will reach out and share it with their kids. We're looking at all the great stories, and cases where we can find the best stories of a long run."

Levitz also added that George Perez will be working on the animated Judas Contract as well, and that Bruce Timm will be overseeing all the animated films.

"We’re looking at more than the last five minutes of history," Levitz said in regards to what will differentiate this from movies such as Ultimate Avengers.
Old 07-22-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*drools over Superman/Doomsday*
Can't wait for that^
Old 07-22-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TNAJason
*drools over Superman/Doomsday*
Can't wait for that^
Amen. Hopefully it will be better than Brainiac Attacks. And please have the original VAs for Lex and everyone. And, don't make Lex into a corny guy again.

I think I'm done.
Old 07-22-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bruce Timm = Sale.
Old 07-26-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they are going to adapt their best comic book stories to DVD movies, let's hope that they don't do the mistake Marvel made with the Ultimate Avengers movie, and that's try to condense 6 issues into 70 minutes, as A LOT of stuff was left out of the Ultimate Avengers movie. If they can pick some shorter stories, stories that maybe lasted a couple issues or two, or give more movie time for longer stories, then great.

I would cast a vote that they do some Alan Moore stories from his Swamp Thing days. And some Atari Force movies would be awesome as well, but I doubt they would have rights to do that at this point.
Old 07-27-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm seeing on other forums that this is not going to be Timm's DCAU animation style. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-27-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I'm seeing on other forums that this is not going to be Timm's DCAU animation style. Can anyone confirm this?
There are other forums?
Old 07-27-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by areacode212
"We’re looking at more than the last five minutes of history," Levitz said in regards to what will differentiate this from movies such as Ultimate Avengers.
Fuck the Ultimate universe.
Old 07-27-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
God, I hope this is true. No offense to Timm, but the art style in the original stories is awesome, and they should seek to do that style in the movies. Like in the Heavy Metal movie, how the animation matched the art style from the orginal stories in the magazine.
Old 07-27-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The Judas Contract" is the storyline that turned me from a comic fan into a comic geek for life. Can't wait to see all of them, but that one tops my interest list.
Old 07-27-06, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And some Atari Force movies would be awesome as well, but I doubt they would have rights to do that at this point.
While I'd love to see the whole series put to DVD, I can't imagine the demand would be there, regardless of whether they had the rights.
Old 07-27-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So essentially these will be animated versions of graphic novels? That would indeed be interesting to see. I read the novelization of "The Death and Life of Superman", but seeing a fully animated version would be interesting.

I haven't seen Batman: TAS, so I don't know how that was adapted compared to the comics, but I'd like to see animated versions of some of the more popular graphic novels.
Old 07-27-06, 10:33 AM
Banned

DC Comics to Produce DVD Movies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From dvdactive.com:

DC Comics, Warner Home Video and Warner Bros. Animation are jointly planning to produce and distribute a series of original "DC Universe" animated movies for DVD, with the films being animated and directed by acclaimed comic book creators and animators.

All the movies are to be rated as PG-13, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Home Video. The first three will appear between 2007 and 2008, and will include:

Justice League: New Frontier - written by Stan Berkowitz, with Darwyn Cooke as story and visual consultant
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract - written by Marv Wolfman and Tom DeSanto, produced by DeSanto
Superman: Doomsday - produced by Bruce Timm and written by Duane Capizzi, from a story by Timm & Capizzi

"We are working closely with WHV and WBA to insure that the films honor the legacy of our great heroes. And we are lucky to have Marv Wolfman and Darwyn Cooke, two of the writers who created the source material for the films, involved in the project," said DC Comics President & Publisher Paul Levitz. "The creators bring a passion for the material and a level of creative ambition that will resonate with both DC Comics' fans who treasure the original stories and adults who love adventure, heroics and top-notch animation."

"We are thrilled to announce this unprecedented venture with DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video. "This initiative is a testament to our commitment to bringing fans new and innovative content created by the most revered names in the comic industry."

Those involved in future releases will including award-winning writer/artist Darwyn Cooke (The New Frontier; Catwoman) and writer Marv Wolfman (The New Teen Titans), along with Bruce Timm (Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Animated Series) and Tom DeSanto (executive producer of the first two X-Men films and producer of the forthcoming Transformers feature). Writer/producers Duane Capizzi (The Batman, The Batman vs. Dracula) and Stan Berkowitz (Justice League) will also be part of the creative team on the DC Universe films, with Timm serving as supervising producer on each of the titles.

Other DC products with films in development include Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman.

News by Malcolm Campbell
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/indust...vd-movies.html
Old 07-27-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would buy all of these, even with stories from comics I never read.

Here's hoping they do some Alex Ross stuff.
Old 07-27-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
"The Judas Contract" is the storyline that turned me from a comic fan into a comic geek for life. Can't wait to see all of them, but that one tops my interest list.
just like the Dark Phoenix saga, you can't expect to do this story justice in one movie. In both cases, the reason they became such high points is that they involved substantial twists that occur out of nowhere, but were building for month after month, for over a year.
to cleave out the set up and just plop down into the 'good stuff' whittles away most of the magic.

It would be very cool to see Terra and Titans done animated (hopefully with a more Perez like design than the now ubiqitous Timm style), but its like telling a story and just starting with the thrid act. the emotional investment and shock & surprise when the twists come, just isn't there.

Very interested in New Frontier. Cooke used to work under the Timm team, so I'm curious to see if he will be teaching his master any new tricks.

Positive news for comic book fans. It goes without saying they will be somewhat cheap and with limited animation, but hopefully they can find new ways to cut corners that will belie their budgets and rushed schedules.
Old 07-27-06, 08:22 PM

I'm already sold on the Superman/Doomsday movie, especially with Timm helming that project. I'm sure that that one will turn out superb. I'm very interested in Judas Contract as well, but I'm fearful that it may not turn out as well as I'd like and that it just may be the one title that is overly ambitious for movies.
Old 07-29-06, 08:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Judas Contract! Sweet.