Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MST3K's Mike Nelson selling DVD Commentaries

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The second Cinematic Titanic episode is finally available, this time it's The Doomsday Machine. Here's the link: http://cinematictitanic.com/wpmu/store.html

It's $15 to buy (+ shipping) or $10 to download. They are shipping them out in actual amaray cases with cover art now, which is good. And you can download the cover if you choose to download.
Old 06-19-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I barely made it through 20 minutes of the first Cinematic.

I think my sense of humor lies much more in tune with Mike, Bill, and Kevin.
Old 06-19-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by evenswr
MST3Kinfo.com is reporting confirmation of the upcoming panel at Comic-Con in San Diego, Friday, July 25, 7:15 p.m. :

Yeah, wow.
The icing on the cake is that it'll be moderated by Patton Oswalt. Man, I really wish I could go. Hopefully, it'll show up as a DVD bonus feature sometime down the road (c'mon, Shout! Factory, make it happen!)
Old 06-19-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sixth Sense is the next Rifftrax featuring Mike, Bill, and Kevin. It comes out Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 06-19-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
The second Cinematic Titanic episode is finally available, this time it's The Doomsday Machine. Here's the link: http://cinematictitanic.com/wpmu/store.html

It's $15 to buy (+ shipping) or $10 to download. They are shipping them out in actual amaray cases with cover art now, which is good. And you can download the cover if you choose to download.
Very cool. I'm glad they decided to sell DVDs because their partner EZ Takes really sucks. They already had to pull the download version offline because htey were unable to handle the demand.

I'm going to order the DVD anyway. I would much rather pay the extra money for a real DVD.
Old 06-20-08, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
The icing on the cake is that it'll be moderated by Patton Oswalt. Man, I really wish I could go. Hopefully, it'll show up as a DVD bonus feature sometime down the road (c'mon, Shout! Factory, make it happen!)

Seems to me like the logical thing to do would be to put the "20th Anniversary Panel" video on the upcoming Shout! Factory "20th Anniversary 4 dvd set" Which they claim will include "tons of extras.
Old 06-20-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
I barely made it through 20 minutes of the first Cinematic.

I think my sense of humor lies much more in tune with Mike, Bill, and Kevin.
I'm with you. Cinematic Titanic wasn't really my thing the first time around, but I'm willing to give it another go. Maybe it was the atrocious movie, but I think it had to do with having... what? Six people riffing on it?
Old 06-20-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's also a new short film that's been released. Argh, now I gotta redownload all of them and remaster a new DVD.

There are so many things to which drugs can be compared that to even attempt to catalog them would be an act of incomprehensible madness. Yet in this pastel colored, 1970's nightmare, two hard-of-hearing, loggorrheic pre-teens are up to the task! Have you always wondered, Are drugs like pumpkins? Like small willow saplings? Like those bags of cotton candy you can buy in gift shops? Find out as Mike, Kevin and Bill go once more unto the breach!
I highly recommend ALL the shorts. At $0.99 each, they are 15 minutes of pure comic gold worth each of those 99 pennies.
Old 06-20-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
At $0.99 each, they are 15 minutes of pure comic gold worth each of those 99 pennies.
Drugs are like that too.
Old 06-20-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
Drugs are like that too.
Yes, drugs are like harmless things that are not drugs.
Old 07-02-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great Rifftrax news. They are doing two shorts a week for the entire month of July. The first 11 shorts in Mpeg 2 were finally enough for me to burn them onto one DVD with Nero Vision and now I can start on volume 2.

I also got my Cinematic Titanic DVD. Nice to get a real official looking DVD release and it even included a hand signed silhouette of Trace. Doomsday Machine was really funny and a bit darker than than normal MST humor. They also came up with a bit of an opening to introduce them and give a bit of a framework for why they are doing this whole thing. Short and concise, but it got the point across.

Can't wait for the next release.

BTW, Bill Corbett also wrote an open letter to Cinematic Titanic asking them to crossover and do more projects with Rifftrax. Mary Jo recently did the X-files movie with Bill and hopefully the rest can be convinced to do one or two between Cinematic Titanic episodes. A Joel & Mike riff would probably break download records for Rifftrax. Good times for MST fans.

http://blog.rifftrax.com/2008/06/24/...matic-titanic/

Last edited by darkside; 07-02-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But does twice a week shorts mean no full-feature Riffs for July?
Old 07-03-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
That's what they seemed to say on the Rifftrax message board. I'm a little behind, so it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 07-11-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hulu.com is showing Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark, you have to have an account to watch but it's free.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/25596/film...ood-after-dark
Old 07-11-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Hulu.com is showing Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark, you have to have an account to watch but it's free.

I have this DVD and its fantastic. Worth signing up for Hulu for.
Old 07-24-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paul1957

I have all the Film Crew DVDs, this is great though. I hope stuff like this gets them more fans.
Old 07-24-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shit. When I saw that this thread had been updated, I thought that someone was going to have an URL to a video of the MST3K reunion. Didn't that happen yesterday? And if so, where's the URL? Didn't anybody record it?
Old 07-24-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, never mind. It's tomorrow:

Friday 7:15-8:15 p.m.: Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion featuring Trace Beaulieu, Paul Chaplin, Frank Conniff, Bill Corbett, Joel Hodgson, Jim Mallon, Kevin Murphy, Bridget Nelson, Mike Nelson, Mary Jo Pehl and J. Elvis Weinstein in a Q&A panel hosted by self-professed “MST3K nerd” and comedian Patton Oswalt. Room 6B

Saturday 7 and 9:30 p.m.: RiffTrax Live: Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Mike Nelson star in featuring their hilarious take on the B-movie classic “Plan 9 From Outer Space.” Balboa Theatre, 868 Fourth Ave. (at E Street)
Old 08-07-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This week they did Harry Potter 2:

Harry Potter is back with the second installment in the franchise that is worth more than the Tolkien, Roddenberry and Herge estates combined! Part Two lays the groundwork for the stunning revelation that shook the series: that the guy who plays Ron absolutely, 100% cannot act. I mean, that performance? What the hell was that? Every scene he's in looks like someone from Are You Being Served forced at gunpoint to mug at a level that would make the cast of Police Academy blush. If they were to spin Ronald McDonald's friend Grimace off into a series titled The Grimace Hour it would have less grimacing per hour than Ron in Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets (approximate number of hours in movie: five.)

Watch Ron pull one face after another as he teams up with Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, and Hagar the Horrible to outwit an army of spiders, battle a giant lizard, and encounter an emo-chick who lives in a toilet. And what would a Harry Potter movie be without Quidditch? Answer: Better.

Mike, Kevin, Bill and their respective self-mutilating house elves are here to riff until the Secret of the titular Chamber is revealed!
Next week we'll be getting one of my favorites, Memento!

For most of us, the experience of waking up in a strange motel room, alone and disoriented, means that you were the victim of Chinese Organ Thieves. Inconvenient, sure, but kidneys are replaceable.* And how often does it really happen?** For Leonard Shelby, however, this scenario was just another part of his daily routine.

You see, Leonard suffers from a rare form of amnesia, usually only found in protagonists in works of fiction. Unable to form any new memories, Leonard stumbles around Southern California, vowing after every meal that he will never eat a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish again. To be fair, he does have a slightly more pressing agenda than eating pre-formed patties of vague seafood: the attack that rendered him an amnesiac also resulted in the death of his wife. Through an intricate system of tattoos and notes to himself, he hopes to one day track down the killer and after making him beg for mercy, ask them who they are, why he has this gun and if they know directions to the nearest McDonalds.

Also, at one point in time during the movie, a peripheral character muses that Leonard’s condition must be like living your life backwards. Despite this being a barely coherent thought muttered by a bearded motel attendant, it's evidently license enough to tell you the entire story in reverse, making this Mike, Kevin and Bill's first ever xarTffiR!

*Just talk to the delivery guy from the Chinese food place down the street
**Every time you order from that Chinese food place
Old 11-18-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rifftrax is releasing a DVD of nine shorts they released on the website, plus a bonus short, "Shake Hands with Danger." It's $15 and starts shipping on Thanksgiving (more likely the day after).
http://www.rifftrax.com/dvds/rifftra...best-vol-1-dvd

The next Cinematic Titanic DVD, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, goes on sale Thursday.
Old 11-18-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Rifftrax is releasing a DVD of nine shorts they released on the website, plus a bonus short, "Shake Hands with Danger." It's $15 and starts shipping on Thanksgiving (more likely the day after).
http://www.rifftrax.com/dvds/rifftra...best-vol-1-dvd

The next Cinematic Titanic DVD, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, goes on sale Thursday.
I already bought all of those and made my own DVD, but I want Shake Hands with Danger. I hope they sell it by itself at some point.

Can't wait for the new version of SCCtM.
Old 11-18-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm betting they don't, to get people like you and me who have already bought all the shorts to buy them again. But I think I will hold off a bit, just in case.
Old 11-30-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got my Santa Claus Conquers the Martians Cinematic Titanic DVD and watched it and they are really hitting their stride with the last two releases. This was a tough one since they are redoing a classic MST movie, but it is really, really good. I also like the PG-13 approach they are taking in the last couple of DVDs. The edgier riffs in this one helped separate it more from the original.

I've watched the original MST one so many times I was repeating the riffs in my head, but it was cool to hear the new take, plus the riffs on all the new footage in this version. There are some really good ones in here and some odd ones including a not so subtle masturbation joke from Mary Jo. They are also keeping the movie stops brief and only had one in this film. Instead they are doing a short skit before the movie starts and a bit of business at the end. It works much better and keeps to the riffing.

I really hope they keep this project going. It has delivered on the promise the Film Crew project had but with a more unique approach that separates it from Rifftrax and MST3K.
Old 12-05-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just got my CT "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" DVD in this afternoon's mail. I haven't watched it yet (that'll be tonight's viewing), but it's pretty cool that they stuck in a little "Thanks For Shopping at Cinematic Titanic!" slip of paper, signed by Joel.

"Merry Christmas, JH"

BTW, anyone else think that Cinematic Titanic have its own thread? Or at least a change of this thread's title?
Old 12-05-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Just got my CT "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" DVD in this afternoon's mail. I haven't watched it yet (that'll be tonight's viewing), but it's pretty cool that they stuck in a little "Thanks For Shopping at Cinematic Titanic!" slip of paper, signed by Joel.

"Merry Christmas, JH"
They include those with all the purchases. I have one from Trace and one from J Elvis. Nice little touch to offset the extra DVD cost. It would be nice if the thread title was changed. This is kind of an all in one Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax thread.

I've also been pretty happy with Rifftrax. I like that they are focusing a lot on the big mainstream releases. I'm sure those trax sell better and it lets them focus on the big mainstream stuff while CT works on the obscure cheesy films. They are releasing so much that I am a few trax and shorts behind currently. I'll have to catch up during a slow DVD month next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.