Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MST3K's Mike Nelson selling DVD Commentaries

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Speaking of MST3K, anyone know a good way to get the KTMA episodes? I have most of the seasons off Comedy Central on VHS, but wouldn't mind seeing the originals.
Read the faq at this website. http://www.dapcentral.org/
I have all the non Rhino releases due to their efforts. They have even gotten a thumbs up from people like Kevin and Joel since they charge no money at all. Its just fans exchanging the movies which was the original message of the show.

Just to note they do not trade any episodes available from Rhino and some of the first few KTMA episodes where never recorded by anyone and are pretty much lost to the ages. Just a note, the KTMA stuff was all done cold with no writting ahead of time. The riffing is very uneven and at times it can be difficult to sit through. I've rarely made it all the way through a movie.
Old 10-07-06, 12:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Thanks! I also did some searching and found some bootleg sites. You can get episodes for about $6 each, the whole series with all specials for like $500. Ouch.

I might download some of the KTMA stuff, and just wait for proper releases of much of the CC/SF seasons.

Side note, and possibly one of the top 10 moments on my life:

At the end of MST3K's first season on CC, I happened to be vacationing in Minnesota. I called Best Brains studio on a whim, and said something like, "Hey, I'm just a vacationing fan, passing thru town, noticed that I'm in your city, and just wanted to say, thank you."

The guy, one of their puppeteers/prop guys, said something like, "That's cool. You know, we're having our first season wrap party tonight. Why don't you come by and be the token fan?"

It was a cool night. I met Joel and his parents, Trace and the rest of the gang, had Joel take pictures of me with the bots, etc.

Right place at the right time.......
Old 10-11-06, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Point Break is now available on Rifftrax.
Old 10-11-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably been said already, but I really enjoy them more when Mike has somebody to play off of. The STV commentary certainly had a good MST3K feel to it.
Old 10-11-06, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halloween is coming soon too....with Kevin.
Old 10-11-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Point Break is one of my favorite terrible movies. I'll have to hunt down a DVD of this and snag the track.
Old 10-11-06, 02:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Point Break is one of my favorite terrible movies. I'll have to hunt down a DVD of this and snag the track.
The PURE ADRENALINE SPECIAL EDITION just came out this week.
Old 10-11-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sweet! I'll have to look for a good price. I did spend my cash getting the new season of Scrubs this week...
Old 10-11-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
There's a contest up:
Entries for the contest are due tonight before midnight PST.
Old 10-19-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy are also doing new DVD commentaries! Go to www.filmcrewonline.com and check out two minute clips of Giant of Marathon, Hollywood After Dark, Killers From Space and the Wild Women of Wongo and vote for which one they should release on DVD first.

Between this and the Rifftrax, it's starting to feel like a MST3K resurgence.
Old 10-19-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, for a MST3K junkie this is all great news. I need to catch up on Rifftraxs, but I keep buying them.

BTW, I voted for Giant of Marathon.

Last edited by darkside; 10-19-06 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell Yeah
The Rifftrax
Coming Nov. 1: Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

With guest riffer Kevin Murphy
Old 10-27-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope he does Buffalo 66, just to see that guy flip out about it.
Old 11-01-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know when it was released, but Episode I is available for download now. I didn't hear about Rifftrax until recently and have only obtained the X-Men one. I haven't watched the full thing yet, but its decent so far. I will definately get the Ep. I trax though.
Old 11-01-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Halloween Rifftrax was by far my favorite and so far the ones with Kevin Murphy have been outstanding. I really haven't been as impressed with the two I listened to with Bill Corbet.

I'm downloading Episode 1 now. Never has a movie deserved a Rifftrax more than that fucking movie.

BTW, Cocktail is 99 cents right now and highly recommended.

Last edited by darkside; 11-01-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They also have a deal where if you buy the legend version of House on Haunted Hill (withe Mike Nelson commentary) for $9.95 plus shipping, you get the Halloween Rifftrax for free.
Old 11-01-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, I just looked and the Legend HOHH is only $7.18 on DDD, so it would be a better to deal to buy from there, then get the Halloween Rifftrax on its own.
Old 11-01-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Hmm, I just looked and the Legend HOHH is only $7.18 on DDD, so it would be a better to deal to buy from there, then get the Halloween Rifftrax on its own.
The only difference is the one from Rifftrax is the Mike autographed one. However, that is a pretty minor thing and only silly MST3K fanboys like myself would go through the extra expense.

I finished the Star Wars rifftrax and damn was it good. Granted this movie is shooting fish in a barrel, but they do a good job of trashing it.
The Halloween rifftrax was funny, but at the same time they do tip their hat a bit to the film. Not the case with Episode I. They take a sledgehammer to Phantom Menace and go after ever single thing possible. The horrible stereotypes, the weak script, the bad acting and basically anything possible. Too many good lines to remember, but Mike calling JarJar the most embarrassing character since Stepin Fetchit and Kevin commenting on Lucas pissing the entire film down his leg in the first 10 minutes stands out.

Highly recommended. I still need to listen to Matrix and Point Break, but I really want another Mike and Kevin commentary and will probably listen to the Matrix next.
Old 11-01-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy are also doing new DVD commentaries! Go to www.filmcrewonline.com and check out two minute clips of Giant of Marathon, Hollywood After Dark, Killers From Space and the Wild Women of Wongo and vote for which one they should release on DVD first.

Sweet. I can't wait. MST3K is back!
Old 11-01-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie 2...make it happen Universal...somebody.
Old 11-03-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I voted for Giant of Marathon based solely on description before I figured out that clicking the pictures gives a sample of the riffing of each - and the clips for Hollywood After Dark and Killers From Space are the funniest ones!

(But it sounds like they've already recorded full riffing for them all, so is the vote just to see which one comes out first, meaning the rest will also be released eventually?)
Old 11-03-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
But it sounds like they've already recorded full riffing for them all, so is the vote just to see which one comes out first, meaning the rest will also be released eventually?
Yes, the video intro by Kevin Murphy and the text description both explicitly mention that we're voting on which title gets released first, meaning the others will follow.

I voted for Killers From Space because it had the best title, seems like the most likely movie a person uninitiated to MST3K might pick, and had a very funny clip.

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-03-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-03-06, 04:45 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I chose Killers from Space, because it only seems fitting they start with a Peter Graves film. (But I'll take whatever they give us!)
Old 11-04-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just downloaded and listened to the X-Men rifftrax. Even though I could never seem to get the sync perfect, it was still incredibly funny. I'm going to grab the rest of these soon, after I secure the necessary DVDs. If anyone reading this is considering a purchase, DO IT. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-04-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I voted for Wild Women of Wongo based 100% on the title.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.