DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MST3K's Mike Nelson selling DVD Commentaries

Old 03-14-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a question about some of the newer public domain rifftrax (and i guess the political ads). If i buy the rifftrack, do i get the video file as well? Is the rifftrack already balanced on the video file where i could just stream it through my 360 (the Divx file) or burn it to a VCD and play the thing on a DVD player?

Looking at the newest DRM-free release it lists like 5 files you get (divx, zune, ipod, mpg-2, and mp3). I haven't bought anything in a really long time so i don't know how they are packaged anymore. I can deal with syncing an mp3 to a DVD i buy but i was hoping it would be easier with these public domain shorts or commercials the Rifftrack Crew might be allowed to distribute.
Old 03-15-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I downloaded "The Terrible Truth" short the other day. The video files have the riff track already embedded, so that's really the only file you need. They offer the riff track seperately, as the mp3 file, though I'm not sure why you'd ever need it.
Old 04-03-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm watching the Harry Potter one right now. Hilarious! I also got ID4 and Spider-Man, both very good. Definitely gonna keep watching em.
Old 04-04-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The next Rifftrax, Spider-Man 3 with guest riffer James Lileks, is certainly causing a stir over at the rifftrax forum. I've never even heard of the guy.

Personally, if they keep politics out of the rifftrax, I wouldn't care if the guest was Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken as long as it's funny.
Old 04-04-08, 02:51 PM

People seem to really dislike political content in the MST3K legacy projects. The anti-Bush jokes in the Cinematic Titanic project were criticized by a lot of fans. I doubt that Lileks will make many conservative jokes. I've read his books, which are great, and there's no political content in them.

On another note, I'd highly recommend their last short, "Harm Hides At Home." It is hilarious without the riffing and even better with it. You really must see this to believe it.
Old 04-05-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harm Hides at Home is amazing and up there with some of the MST3K shorts. I remember watching crap like this when I was in school in the 70's and early 80's.
Old 04-05-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now the Cinematic Titanic first episode is available for downloading (cost is $10).

And, in the same e-mail, it said this:
On April 26th, we're all headed to Dallas for the USA FILM FESTIVAL for a MST3K panel (also featuring Kevin Murphy) followed by a Cinematic Titanic live riff of a new movie (well not a NEW movie, but new to CT, and a secret for now).

Mystery Science Theater 3000 at 20: Panel Discussion
Saturday, April 26, 5:00pm
$8.00 per ticket

Cinematic Titanic Live Riffing
Saturday, April 26, 7:00pm
$25 per ticket
(WOW! That makes me want to go to Dallas!)

Last edited by dhmac; 04-05-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A new short was released this weekend: "Are you Popular?"

I'm still laughing at a couple of the jokes.
Old 04-07-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
A new short was released this weekend: "Are you Popular?"

I'm still laughing at a couple of the jokes.
The unintentional sexual stuff from the daughter was pretty awesome, but overall not a great short. I'm spoiled after the Harm Hides at Home short. That was a true classic.

Seriously considering a trip to Dallas btw.
Old 04-17-08, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next up is Cloverfield
Old 04-20-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Next up is Cloverfield

"What if a monster attacked a city?" This is the shockingly novel concept behind the viral marketing triumph of the year! Filled with "fresh"* performances and "authentic"** cinematography, Cloverfield masterfully takes a page from The Blair Witch Project, reworking the "snotty 20-somethings endure trauma while repeatedly saying 'dude'" genre into something unique while still being very much the same. Look for star turns by That Girl Who Was in Mean Girls and That One Dude Who Played Eric in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Mike, Kevin and Bill's RiffTrax was found by the Department of Defense (and then thrown away, but we dug it out of a garbage can.)

*Not very good.

**Not good at all.
Old 04-20-08, 05:52 PM

Haha can't wait to hear the guys riff on cloverfield. I just finished watching the Spiderman 3 riff and thought it was pretty funny. I'm surprised though that they jumped to 3 instead of going to 2 first.

Last edited by jaded25; 04-20-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With the announcement of "Rifftrax Presents:", I thought Mike might be taking an extended leave. But, it's been announced Mike, Kevin, and Bill will be doing LOTR: Two Towers next week.
Old 05-15-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SAW is available now but just with Kevin and Bill.
Old 05-15-08, 11:18 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

With the announcement of "Rifftrax Presents:", I thought Mike might be taking an extended leave. But, it's been announced Mike, Kevin, and Bill will be doing LOTR: Two Towers next week.
Awesome!

Now that just leaves the last Matrix and the last LOTR: The Return of the King.
Old 05-15-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the Star Trek: New Voyages riff. For $3 they give you the video in any format you want with the rifftrax which is not bad. I know it is public domain free video, but I like that they are willing to let you download the rifftrax version 2GB MPEG2 file for $3.

With them starting Rifftrax presents I am starting to get the feeling they are making some serious money on this project. The releases are coming fast and they have expanded with the video stuff and went ahead and made it all DRM free. Bill and Kevin are even breaking off to do tracks on their own.

I've bought every single release and I can't wait for more LOTRs.
Old 05-16-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
I've bought every single release
Does that include the Elliot solo Dark Water?

I don't even know who that is.
Old 05-19-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heard during Saw: "Scalosians?"

Talk about a very geeky Star Trek reference.

And, it's been a while since I've seen Saw so I didn't remember the two Lost actors within.
Old 05-19-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This may actually get me to watch my copy of Saw. Maybe.

About a year or two ago my mom heard from somebody that the movie was good, so she bought a used copy from Blockbuster. Turns out she hated it, of course, and gave me the DVD (I don't really go for those type of movies, though). Anyway, the thought of my mom watching Saw really makes me laugh. What was she expecting it to be?
Old 05-23-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two Towers is now available.
Old 05-23-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Anyway, the thought of my mom watching Saw really makes me laugh. What was she expecting it to be?
Doesn't it have a severed foot on the cover? Having a mom watch Saw does strike me as funny. She must have been pretty surprised.
Old 05-24-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're coming to San Diego, Live! Riffing on Plan 9 From Outer Space for it's 50th aniversary!

I really want to go. San Diego is a bit of a drive but I think it'd be a great experience.

I just listened to the I Am Legend and Cloverfield rifftracks recently with a bunch of friends. They were hysterical. I'm building up quite a collection of these.
Old 06-09-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For those that are thinking of going, and aren't aware, this happens on the busiest day of Comic-Con. Pretty much all downtown hotel rooms have been booked since last month. You might also grab tickets now.
Old 06-09-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MST3Kinfo.com is reporting confirmation of the upcoming panel at Comic-Con in San Diego, Friday, July 25, 7:15 p.m. :

On the panel will be: Trace Beaulieu, Paul Chaplin, Frank Conniff, Bill Corbett, Joel Hodgson, Jim Mallon, Kevin Murphy, Bridget Nelson, Mike Nelson, Mary Jo Pehl and J. Elvis Weinstein. Wow.
Yeah, wow.
Old 06-09-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.