DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collection --> 10/17/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collection --> 10/17/06

Kudos to WB!
This is a very impressive box set from WB. I believe Top Hat, Swing Time, Shall We Dance, Follow the Fleet and The Barkleys of Broadway were released in Volume 1 but the rest are new WB releases.

Images and Information from DVDActive.com:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ollection.html

Title: Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collection
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 17th October 2006
SRP: $119.98

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has sent over artwork for the eleven-disc Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collector's Edition which includes The Barkleys of Broadway, Carefree, Flying Down to Rio, Follow the Fleet, The Gay Divorcee, Roberta, Shall We Dance, The Story of Vernon & Irene Castle, Swing Time, and Top Hat. An Astaire and Rogers Partners in Rhythm bonus disc will also be included - a glorious salute that includes candid photos, behind-the-scene tidbits and sidelights about famed collaborators Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, among others. You'll be able to own this brand new collection from the 17th October, with the set retailing at around $119.98. For further details on this one, please refer to the related article at the bottom of this news story.

Old 07-19-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would assume that a vol 2 is coming out same day for everyone who already purchased the other....not like warner to leave film fans out in the cold

also looks like slim cases which is welcome
Old 07-19-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems this Ultimate Edition will be released on the same date as the Volume 2.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ire-and-rogers

Title: Astaire and Rogers
Starring: Fred Astaire
Released: 17th October 2006
SRP: Various

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has sent over details on The Astaire and Rogers Collection: Volume Two, which will be released on the 17th of October at a retail price of around $59.92. This collection of films, along with last year's The Astaire and Rogers Collection: Volume One, completes the entire series of films in which the duo starred together. The films included in this collection are: Carefree, Flying Down To Rio, The Gay Divorcee, Roberta and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle. All five films are new to DVD, have been newly remastered, and will also be available separately at a retail price of $19.97. Also being offered on the same day is Astaire and Rogers Ultimate Collector’s Edition, which features all ten of their films along with the documentary 'Astaire and Rogers: Partners in Rhythm', a glorious salute that includes candid photos, behind-the-scene tidbits and sidelights about famed collaborators Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, among others. This edition includes an exclusive bonus audio CD with 10 soundtrack songs from the team’s movies, set of collectible behind-the-scenes photo cards, reproductions of the Shall We Dance and Roberta press books and a mail-in offer for four Astaire and Rogers movie posters. The 12-disc giftset will retail for $99.92. For consumers who already own Volume One, a special Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be available at a retail price to be determined which will contain empty sleeves for the five remastered and restored films released last year. We should have the artwork shortly, but for now we've attached the new collection's list of extras below.

Carefree

Vintage musical short Public Jitterbug No. 1
Classic cartoon September in the Rain
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Flying Down to Rio

Vintage comedy Short Beer and Pretzels with Ted Healy and His Stooges
Classic cartoon I Like Mountain Music
Theatrical trailer

The Gay Divorcee

2 vintage musical shorts: Show Kids & Night at the Cocoanut Grove
Classic cartoon Shake Your Powder Puff
Audio-only bonus: Hollywood on the Air radio promo
Theatrical trailer

Roberta

Vintage musical short Starlit Days at the Lido
Classic cartoon The Calico Dragon
Audio-only bonus: Hollywood on the Air radio promo
Theatrical trailer

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

Vintage musical short Happily Buried
Classic cartoon Puss Gets the Boot
Old 07-19-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
i would assume that a vol 2 is coming out same day for everyone who already purchased the other....not like warner to leave film fans out in the cold

also looks like slim cases which is welcome
Yes, you beat me to it.
Old 07-19-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good times....thats even better when they are going to give you the sleeves and box...hopefully this will be available in store, and not a mail in
Old 07-21-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
good times....thats even better when they are going to give you the sleeves and box...hopefully this will be available in store, and not a mail in
Not sure about how happy retailers would be about stocking their shelves with half-empty box sets.
Old 07-21-06, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great looking set, never really seen many of their collaboations, kind of release i'll pick up when i get around to it but definately at some point.
Old 07-21-06, 11:58 AM

I really commend WB for giving the people who already bought v1 a way to get the ultimate edition so we can get the extras.. Not aware of this being done before.. nice.
Old 07-21-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sure I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but...

Warner Home Video, I Love You!
Old 08-16-06, 04:45 PM

I've just put in my preorder for Amazon's Exclusive Partial Ultimate Edition for $46.09
Pretty awesome news. Just surprised it's an Amazon Exclusive
Old 08-17-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So it looks like the difference between Astaire & Rogers Collection, Vol. 2 and Astaire & Rogers Partial Ultimate Collector's Edition is:

o The box to hold all 10 films
o All the extras from the full Ultimate Collector's Edition:

# Astaire and Rogers: Partners in Rhythm (bonus disc)
# Soundtrack CD sampler
# Collectible photo cards
# Replicas of original press books
# Mail-in poster offer

Is that right? If so, that's a good deal for only $4 more!
Old 08-17-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bhauge
So it looks like the difference between Astaire & Rogers Collection, Vol. 2 and Astaire & Rogers Partial Ultimate Collector's Edition is:

o The box to hold all 10 films
o All the extras from the full Ultimate Collector's Edition:

# Astaire and Rogers: Partners in Rhythm (bonus disc)
# Soundtrack CD sampler
# Collectible photo cards
# Replicas of original press books
# Mail-in poster offer

Is that right? If so, that's a good deal for only $4 more!
According to the WHV press release, the Ultimate Edition will use slim cases, so the Amazon exclusive Partial Ultimate set will include empty cases and artwork for the discs in Volume One.
Old 08-17-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl
According to the WHV press release, the Ultimate Edition will use slim cases, so the Amazon exclusive Partial Ultimate set will include empty cases and artwork for the discs in Volume One.
This news makes me very happy. Good job WB!
Old 08-17-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks RevKarl. One more reason to get the Partial Ultimate set
Old 08-17-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slim Cases? ::runs for the hill::

Please tell me that WB isn't repeating their film noir vol.3 gaffe and breaking with earlier sets and going to the far inferior (yet space saving) slim cases. I hope the Vol.2 is not slim.
Old 08-17-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

vol. 2 will be in regular keep cases (at least that is what they stated way back at the HTF chat) however the ultimate set will use the slims. This is a welcome change to me.
Old 09-24-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any confirmation on whether or not we have the option of getting keep cases for the volume two movies?
Old 09-24-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-21-06, 12:11 AM

I'm confused as to which one to get. Which one has the 5 new movies and the 5 empty cases and all the goodies? Is the Amazon one the only one that has this?

Last edited by chente; 10-21-06 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 12:37 AM
Cool New Member

The set with the 5 new releases, 5 empty cases for last year's releases, plus the new feature docu, the pressbook reproductions, the behind the scenes stills, and soundtrack CD, in a very gorgeous box, is an AMAZON exclusive, and only costs a few dollars more than buying the 5 new releases for 2006 in their own F&G V.2 set. It also comes with a mail in slip that gets you four full-sized 1930s vintage poster repros for just the cost of postage.

I have the whole new box, and it is NIRVANA!
Old 10-21-06, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zvbxrpl
The set with the 5 new releases, 5 empty cases for last year's releases, plus the new feature docu, the pressbook reproductions, the behind the scenes stills, and soundtrack CD, in a very gorgeous box, is an AMAZON exclusive, and only costs a few dollars more than buying the 5 new releases for 2006 in their own F&G V.2 set. It also comes with a mail in slip that gets you four full-sized 1930s vintage poster repros for just the cost of postage.

I have the whole new box, and it is NIRVANA!
Thanks. Off to Amazon.
Old 10-21-06, 09:59 AM

Warner Bros. truly OWNS when it comes to classic dvd releases. I love the Warner Night At the Movies feature that they've been structuring them all around, and this looks dynamite. I'm not particularly a fan of Fred Astaire, but damn, this is a beautiful set, and I'll learn to love him after this.

UNIVERSAL...take note. THIS is how to do DVD.
Old 10-22-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mine shipped from amazon last night
Old 10-22-06, 07:54 PM

does anyone know what the discount on new releases is at Borders stores? With a decent sale price + $10 off $35 + personal shopping day, it might be possible to pick this up for under $60 w/tax.

I was originally considering picking this up down the road, but looks like such a great collection, I want it now.
Old 10-23-06, 12:24 AM

Does anyone know if the Amazon set is packaged in regular cases or slim ones?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.