Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ULTRAMAN Series One Defective?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before i buy this, or rent it, i wanna make sure this is the version i love...

does the guy have to press a button on a cylinder type thing to turn in to ultraman?
Old 07-20-06, 09:53 PM

does the guy have to press a button on a cylinder type thing to turn in to ultraman?
Yeah, that's the one. The cylinder thing is called the "Beta Capsule"
Old 07-20-06, 10:08 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad
After taking my set over to a friends house and trying it on his DVD players it appears that the problems are due to poor manufacturing rather than the mastering or missing dubs/cut scenes.

Thanks for the info Toad. I didn't have any problems with the first disc, but episode 10 did switch over for me in one spot near the beginning. I've noted this problem in my review which can be read here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22811

I really didn't like the picture. While it did look better than the bootlegs that are around, it looked more like a colorized movie than something that was shot in color. They obviously brightened it up digitally and didn't do a great job.
Old 07-20-06, 10:32 PM
JCZ
Cool New Member

I got mine in the mail today and watched the first episode in dubbed English. I thought I got lucky with mine until 2 minutes left in the first episode it seized up and I had to eject the dvd. I don't mind watching it in the original Japanese but I was afraid my 4 and 7 year old wouldn't like it with dubbing. I watched a few other episodes in Japanese and my kids didn't care. It's been 30+ years since I've seen these episodes, I'm glad I have them but wished they had done a better job. I also didn't get the baseball style cards.
Old 07-20-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reviews over at Amazon are scathing. Said the sound and picture are horrible.
I was going to get it until I read them.
Old 07-21-06, 02:45 AM

Wow, I can't believe how bad the reviews are. I had never seen this show before, but I didn't find the color to be unusual at all (and yes my TV is calibrated). Granted, I did watch on a 21" TV and not my projector (as I do with most TV shows). I didn't find any distortion in the Japanese audio either, and I watched the first 6 episodes. The set isn't perfect, but it's far from horrible.
Old 07-21-06, 04:38 AM

Okay, just watched another episode and now I notice the audio distortion. I had probably just mentally chalked it up to the age of the show but now that it's been pointed out it is pretty obvious. So far that's the biggest problem (and it is a pretty big one) that I've seen with this set.

Hopefully they will fix the problems everyone is having and offer a trade-out. There is an email address listed on the bottom of the box, we should all email and let them know about these problems.
Old 07-21-06, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by videophile
Thanks for the info Toad. I didn't have any problems with the first disc, but episode 10 did switch over for me in one spot near the beginning. I've noted this problem in my review which can be read here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22811

I really didn't like the picture. While it did look better than the bootlegs that are around, it looked more like a colorized movie than something that was shot in color. They obviously brightened it up digitally and didn't do a great job.
No problem. I agree that the colors seem off and also noted some audio distortion in the English language tracks.

In other news, Amazon provided me with another copy of the set and Episode 10 on this one has no problems but it did have the problems with Episode 1 freezing that others have had but not to the level of the disc ejecting. I was able to hit the fast forward and move past the point. It has some language shifts at different points than my other copy but they are less frequent, so I'm waffleing on if I want to keep it and hope for a replacement program or just send it back and give up on it.

I'm guessing that no one has had the issue of the discs shifting to English while playing the Japanese language tracks?
Old 07-21-06, 05:20 PM

I'm guessing that no one has had the issue of the discs shifting to English while playing the Japanese language tracks?
So far so good on episodes 1-7 for me.
Old 07-22-06, 10:25 AM

Good Luck

On the chance that you have not had the chance to see or had read the bulk of reviews at amazon, it would appear that most customers who bought the set are experiencing the same problems that you have, as well as some additonal ones, so I kind of wonder if merely replacing your set will solve your problems. I had problems identical to yours, and wrote BCI/Eclipse with my concerns. I have yet to hear back from them.
They may be contacted at: [email protected] , should you want to ask them yourself to explain the situation.
Old 07-22-06, 08:05 PM

Sadly, my replacement copy is doing the same thing the original one did.
This really sucks. I was so excited to have this series.

I hope that BCI steps up and corrects the problem asap.
If worse comes to worse, I'll just get a refund and have to live without the set.

Life will go on...
Old 07-24-06, 11:46 AM

I watched this set over the weekend with my 5 and 7 year old daughters. I skipped around and watched some episodes in English and others in Japanese with English subtitles. My observations:

1. Audio quality for both the English dub and Japanese soundtrack is pretty bad. Mono with lots of hiss, tics and pops. It's obvious that not much money or effort was spenting cleaning up the audio tracks. Disappointing but not a deal-breaker for me. I'm just grateful that they were able to include both tracks, flawed as they are.

2. Soundtrack switching from English to Japanese (w/ subs) occurred only at specific parts, which I assume were portions of the original Japanese broadcast that didn't make it to the English broadcast and weren't dubbed into English. I'm glad they are included.

3. The video image was a revelation to me. It has been such a long time since I've watched this, so I can't confirm it but I'm guessing that this DVD image is much better than anything previously available, outside of the Region 2 release. It was cool to see how colorful the sets, uniforms and kaiju were. The colors seemed accurate enough. Perhaps digitally enhanced but did not look "colorized" to me. Based on the title graphics, there seemed to be some cropping.

4. No freezing issues for me on my Philips 642. I got the occasional "hesitation" that was akin to a layer change but no lock-ups or skips.

5. No end titles for any of the episodes... a bummer.

6. The opening titles seemed to be unique for each episode. They had the episode titles and the names of the kaiju in japanese... nice for the completists but it made the omission of the end titles that much more apparent. As far as the opening titles randomly switching from English and Japanese, I didn't notice this. I DID notice that when you are playing individual episodes, the default audio is English. If you watch one episode with Japanese and English subs selected on the fly, the next episode will revert to English.

7. Packaging is very nice. Three discs in three slim plastic cases and a shiny cardboard binder. I got the little booklet but not the cards.
Old 07-24-06, 01:14 PM
Cool New Member

I've been reading these posts with a wary anticipation of a box from Amazon. To show you what an "enthusiast/crackpot" I am about these things, let me preface my post by mentioning that not only do I own the complete Japanese R2 set of the original Ultraman, I also own the Expressions in Animation (EIA) videotape that was released a few years back that contains the first 4 episodes, English-dubbed.

My memory is somewhat spotty, and as I've said, I haven't received the BCI set as yet, but, a few things I've been reading make me wonder whether the "problems" that are being reported are anything new or not. I wonder if they represent a poor remastering job, or if some of the issues are particular to this release...

In the original, japanese-versions, all of the production credits are presented during the opening titles, and there are no end credits, per se, just a fade-to-black. I assume that this is what Tunnus is referring to in point 5.

I seem to remember that there was a ton of distortion in the English-dubbed audio in the EIA tape. This was a ringing-type of distortion, that made certain sound effects sound like they were passed through a conch-shell during recording. Perhaps a lot of the sound issues being detailed are defects in the source, at least in the English dubbing tracks. I don't remember many sound issues with the R2 releases, which were extensively remastered before their release overseas.

If I remember my toku history, Ultraman (like UltraSeven following it), was post-dubbed by the Japanese actors during post-production (for reasons that elude me, on-set noise?). This makes the Japanese track, effectively, dubbed, too.

Now, I can't wait to do a side-by-side comparison...
Old 07-24-06, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nissl
I've been reading these posts with a wary anticipation of a box from Amazon. To show you what an "enthusiast/crackpot" I am about these things, let me preface my post by mentioning that not only do I own the complete Japanese R2 set of the original Ultraman, I also own the Expressions in Animation (EIA) videotape that was released a few years back that contains the first 4 episodes, English-dubbed.

My memory is somewhat spotty, and as I've said, I haven't received the BCI set as yet, but, a few things I've been reading make me wonder whether the "problems" that are being reported are anything new or not. I wonder if they represent a poor remastering job, or if some of the issues are particular to this release...

In the original, japanese-versions, all of the production credits are presented during the opening titles, and there are no end credits, per se, just a fade-to-black. I assume that this is what Tunnus is referring to in point 5.

I seem to remember that there was a ton of distortion in the English-dubbed audio in the EIA tape. This was a ringing-type of distortion, that made certain sound effects sound like they were passed through a conch-shell during recording. Perhaps a lot of the sound issues being detailed are defects in the source, at least in the English dubbing tracks. I don't remember many sound issues with the R2 releases, which were extensively remastered before their release overseas.

If I remember my toku history, Ultraman (like UltraSeven following it), was post-dubbed by the Japanese actors during post-production (for reasons that elude me, on-set noise?). This makes the Japanese track, effectively, dubbed, too.

Now, I can't wait to do a side-by-side comparison...

Excellent, and thank you for posting! I'm really looking forward to seeing your side-by-side comparison. I'm sure the Japanese discs are much better, but I'm curious to see how much and what the differences are. If you're able to post any screens to compare the pictures, I'd love it. Even if it's only with a digital camera.

Originally Posted by thunnus
2. Soundtrack switching from English to Japanese (w/ subs) occurred only at specific parts, which I assume were portions of the original Japanese broadcast that didn't make it to the English broadcast and weren't dubbed into English. I'm glad they are included.
Unfortunately, it's not because of material that was cut for the US release. I have old videotapes of the US release and there are definitely sections that should be in English, but are not. However, like you I'm also glad they were able to include both language tracks along with the subtitles. I just wish the English dub wasn't flawed. The quality of it doesn't bother me much at all, unlike the switching.
Old 07-26-06, 09:00 AM
Cool New Member

Well, my box from Amazon arrived yesterday, and I've only had a chance to have a cursory glance at the first disc using my Phillips 642 (in case there are player-incompatability issues). My impressions (based on my memories of the EIA video and my R2s, as well as a viewing I had of the R2 episode 1 last week):

Video- Obviously better than the old EIA tape, but not as gorgeous as the R2s. I spent a few minutes wathcing some of the effects sequences from episode 5 (with Gesura), and detected quite a lot of pixellation in scenes where there's water splashing around. These weren't present in the R2's, anywhere. I'm assuming the issue is with the Chaiyo-derived source or overcompression by BCI to fit more on the disc.

Audio- Japanese track- Suitable, but a little low, to my ears. Had to ramp up the volume a bit. The R2s included (again, from memory) a mono, 2 channel stereo, and (one episode per disc) 5.1 remaster/reimagining track. This release sounds like the original mono track fro the R2, and I couldn't detect any differences in the japanese audio from this release and the R2s. There is some distortion in the effects sequences here (kaiju roars, water splashing, etc), but I remember these were present in the R2. Everything seemed copacetic...

English track- Again, my only means of comparison is with the EIA tape that I haven't watched in years, so... It sounds fine to me. Yes, it's hissy and scratchy, and distorted in places (just like the EIA tape). For 30-year-old-plus dub, it sounds fine. No, it's not going to win any awards, but it does the job. Reminds me of Saturday mornings in front of Creature Double Feature...

Subtitles- Again, this is my impression of episode 5, but they're alright. The monster is Ep.5 is a chocaholic, apparently, and I could have sworn that the spelling of the beans that chocalate is derived from was misspelled throuhgout the episode. But, apparently it is spelled "cacao."

Opening credits- Watched them in japanese and english. No issues. The production credits are untranslated (too bad), and the song lyrics were translated in the subtitles. There is a selection in the extras for an English-translated opening from one of the episodes. This is played with the english version of the theme.

Extras- Again, I went over these briefly. I skipped the interview with the english dubbing cast. Kaiju profiles were nice, as I can never remember the names of the monsters... The rest, meh.

Assorted issues- I didn't watch for the "switching audio" issues, so I can't really speak to them at the moment. I was under the impression that the audio switching might be down to cuts made to the episodes for American broadcast (time, violence, strings showing...) and that these brief snippets were never dubbed in English. However, another review on another board swears that these snippets were indeed dubbed back for their american broadcast. Perhaps the english dubbing elements provided to BCI were incomplete... Jury's still out.

Overview: It's fine for what it is. Is it perfect? No. Nothing will ever replace my R2s, but, if my kids want to watch Ultraman, this is probably the release I'll choose (unless I'm trying to impress upon them the benefits of learning another language). I'm not sure that some of the issues with this release couldn't have been solved by dealing with Tsuburaya itself, rather than the pseudo-legal Chaiyo source, but there you are. Enjoy your Saturday afternoons again...
Old 07-26-06, 09:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I was thinking, if the switching audio is due to lack of English dubs because of trimming of episodes in the USA, then wouldn't almost every episode have the switching issue?
Old 07-26-06, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the comparison with the R2 discs and your insights, nissl. I am in agreement with you and am satisfied with this set. If I had a choice between the economy of 30 episodes spread over 3 discs (with the resulting compromise in video quality) and paying 10 times that much for an R2-equivalent set, I would choose economy.

Does anyone know if any future Ultra series are planned for release by this company? I'd like to see Ultraseven.
Old 07-26-06, 11:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mather
I was thinking, if the switching audio is due to lack of English dubs because of trimming of episodes in the USA, then wouldn't almost every episode have the switching issue?
Y'know, you're right. Perhaps BCI was given "incomplete" english dubbing tracks like another reviewer elsewhere contends...
Old 07-26-06, 02:05 PM

Can anyone post specific scenes on the discs where the dialogue switches to Japanese?
Old 07-26-06, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by heavy liquid
Can anyone post specific scenes on the discs where the dialogue switches to Japanese?
Episode 14 - The Pearl Oyster Directive

This episode starts off in Japanese as Fuji is looking at pearls in a store. It switches to English as she exits the store and is walking on the street. That's the only one I can specifically think of at the moment.
Old 07-26-06, 09:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by heavy liquid
Episode 1: 21:36-22:56 There's an exchange between the Science Patrol in their ship about the nature of Ultraman's Color Timer and what it would mean when it blinks faster.

At 22:56, there's a 3-4 second pause where, I assume, the language track switches back to the english dub. Kinda annoying, but...

Upon seeing this, I went back and watched it with the japanese audio on (with subtitles) and the "glitch" is still there at 22:56.

So, I went and dug out my old EIA tape from 1996, blew off the dust and went to that scene (the one that reverts to the japanese/subtitled track when playing the english dub). It's dubbed IN ENGLISH all the way through on the EIA tape: to paraphrase "Look, it's blinking, what do you think it could mean?" "Well, it's red and red is never good..."

Answer: BCI didn't get the complete english dub from Chaiyo. The cuts weren't made for timing, violence or other potential broadcast reasons when the episodes were broadcast back in the 70's. BCI just didn't get a "complete" dub of at least episode 1...

A bit of a bummer, but I'm still happy overall. It is Ultraman...
Old 07-27-06, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by nissl
Episode 1: 21:36-22:56 There's an exchange between the Science Patrol in their ship about the nature of Ultraman's Color Timer and what it would mean when it blinks faster.

At 22:56, there's a 3-4 second pause where, I assume, the language track switches back to the english dub. Kinda annoying, but...

Upon seeing this, I went back and watched it with the japanese audio on (with subtitles) and the "glitch" is still there at 22:56.

So, I went and dug out my old EIA tape from 1996, blew off the dust and went to that scene (the one that reverts to the japanese/subtitled track when playing the english dub). It's dubbed IN ENGLISH all the way through on the EIA tape: to paraphrase "Look, it's blinking, what do you think it could mean?" "Well, it's red and red is never good..."

Answer: BCI didn't get the complete english dub from Chaiyo. The cuts weren't made for timing, violence or other potential broadcast reasons when the episodes were broadcast back in the 70's. BCI just didn't get a "complete" dub of at least episode 1...

A bit of a bummer, but I'm still happy overall. It is Ultraman...
Yep, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks for the examples. I'm also happy overall, but still can't help but feel bummed slightly. I understand they're working with the best materials they can, but it's still disappointing. Even more disappointing is the video comparison I found over at DVD Maniacs:

Original Japanese R2 DVD:

BCI DVD:

Looks like an encoding problem, like many others have said. I can only hope that BCI fixes this in the future.

It would also be nice if they mentioned WHY the English dub switches to Japanese in spots, rather than having everyone guess. I honestly can't believe that they didn't even mention it in the booklet enclosed with the DVD. It's not a good move for someone putting out a niche product, and will only make many of it's fans angry like it already has. I think they would have been better served by being honest.
Old 07-27-06, 09:51 AM
Cool New Member

That's indicative of what I'm seeing when I compare the R2's and this release.

Still and all, I'm glad for the subs...

Decent post over at the DVD Manaics forum from one of the BCI folks (from what I gather) about the quaility of the sources they were given. "Incomplete" english dubbing track is the explanation...

Sounds like a case of trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear...
Old 07-27-06, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the screenshot comparison. Not surprising given that the R2 set has 3 or 4 episodes per disc while BCI squeezes 6 or 7. Again, I am happy with the BCI release. It may not compare favorably to an ultra-expensive R2 release but I am sure the picture quality is better than the original TV broadcasts.
Old 07-27-06, 11:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by thunnus
Thanks for the screenshot comparison. Not surprising given that the R2 set has 3 or 4 episodes per disc while BCI squeezes 6 or 7. Again, I am happy with the BCI release. It may not compare favorably to an ultra-expensive R2 release but I am sure the picture quality is better than the original TV broadcasts.
That, and an 8mm film loop projected on a single sheet of toilet paper would look better than the pseudo-legal, grey market, "fan copies" we've been watching for years...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.