Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Attack of the Unwatched DVD Pile!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
I would be great (and believable) if you backedup your post with a matching photo of your backlogged DVDs.
I dumped it all on a table in my room. One photo coming up once I get off of work.
Old 07-12-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marty888
It seems that shortly after each DDD 20% sale we get one of these threads. Self control? C'mon, don't wimp out - buy whatever you want and can afford to buy, and eventually you'll catch up (in theory, anyway).

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm not that concerned if I ever get around to watching them all. I like knowing I can watch whatever I want, whenever I want at a moments notice. That's what I'm spending the money on.

Best combined response yet. Those two points are that simple. But I'm not sure about the ".. if I ever get around to watching them" bit. It completely invalidates the point of purchasing films - or anything - IMO.

I've had the time to watch everything, yet a little under 10% of my collection (599) remains unwatched. Why? .. I'm a moody bugger so I'll get around to it eventually. Unfortunately my taste ranges from very thoughtful films to totally mindless entertainment .. and the more serious or thought provoking films generally take a back seat. But, they are there when necessary and I wouldn't have purchased them if I couldn't have afforded to.

It all boils down to why one collects, period. And the search function will take care of that one. So, no, I can't join you just yet.
Old 07-12-06, 06:40 PM

Quit your job, you won't be able to afford dvds and you'll all the time in the world to watch them all.
Old 07-12-06, 06:46 PM

What will you guys do when an HD or Blu-ray disc comes out that matches a title on your pile, that would suck.
Old 07-12-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I dumped it all on a table in my room. One photo coming up once I get off of work.
Looking forward to it dude!
Old 07-12-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
My backlog includes laserdiscs, since I bought a ton when stores were blowing them out cheap. One of the many rules I have for buying new titles is that if I have a previous edition of the same movie, I can't buy a newer edition until I've completely watched the one I have already, and I don't get rid of anything so I have to decide if I really want 2 copies or more of the same movie. If/when I switch over to HD, the rules will be the same- no movies on that format that I have on regular DVD or laserdisc unless I've watched them; if I upgrade my display I will have to watch the old disc again on that also.
Old 07-12-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, here we go. Thankfully my roommate is home for the summer so I have a place to dump this stuff into one place. Like I said, not a huge pile, but plenty of stuff to last me for quite awhile. And no making fun of me for the Buffy and Angel books, those were b-day gifts from someone who knows I'm obsessed with those shows.
Old 07-12-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm not that concerned if I ever get around to watching them all. I like knowing I can watch whatever I want, whenever I want at a moments notice. That's what I'm spending the money on.
Agreed. I plan on watching each and every one of my ~500 titles that are unwatched. I would rather not have that many, but I actually wouldn't mind having ~100 titles I haven't watched at any given time. It gives me something to ponder when it comes time to watch a movie/TV show. I think of it more as a library.

I'm also in the mode now where I don't start watching a TV show until I have the complete set (A few exceptions, of course). I've started watching a few shows, then the next release didn't come out for a year and I forgot what happened in the season I stopped at and I feel like I should watch the whole series over again.

Also, when I first started collecting and for about the first 2-3 years, I was really bad at not watching all of the special features on the DVD's, then it became too late and the movie was out of my mind to watch the special features and enjoy them. I've been slowly remedying that in the past year or so, I've caught up to about 75% of the movies/tv shows I watch I have finished the special features.
Old 07-12-06, 09:35 PM

Ahhhh.. I thought the DVDs you bought were movies.. but seeing you got some unwatched TV series there, You wil find hard to finish wathing those ...

Anyways. thanks dude for the pic! and best of luck in time management!

Okay, here we go. Thankfully my roommate is home for the summer so I have a place to dump this stuff into one place. Like I said, not a huge pile, but plenty of stuff to last me for quite awhile. And no making fun of me for the Buffy and Angel books, those were b-day gifts from someone who knows I'm obsessed with those shows.
Old 07-12-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the spiders and the dust mites have watched them more times than me! j/k!

Well, I know how you feel, unwatched dvds are like pests, it's all about control. We buy them, they don't walk in by themselves.
Old 07-13-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's not nearly as bad as I expected. The pile almost looks manageable.
Old 07-13-06, 02:36 AM

A few years ago I was at well over a hundred and fifty DVDs unwatched. There were cutbacks at my job and I was let go. No money, not much to do between job interviews, and I got caught up quick. As an odd job at the time, I even dog-sat for 2 dogs while the owner was on vacation- they had a widescreen tv and a DVD player and for a whole week I did nothing beyond feeding the dogs and getting caught up on my DVD watching. I made it through 2 different full seasons of TV shows and countless movies.

I got caught up and haven't gotten too far behind since then- uh, until this recent DDD sale.

Now I've got about 8 movies, 8 episodes of Mary Tyler Moore season four, and four whole seasons of Dick Van Dyke to get caught up on.
Old 07-13-06, 02:42 AM

a lot of my sealed dvds are movies that ive already seen, in the theaters, vhs, whatever. I bought them on dvd for features, picture quality etc. They are movies i loved and know that i will watch one day. I deal hunt pretty hard, i dont pay new movie full pop ever, so i dont feel bad to let a flick sit a bit.

as a bonus now, i work at a place that makes AV stuff and they put up a plasma and surround sound in our lunchroom. Now i get to bring in some of my sealed "work safe" movies and watch them at lunch. Most of the peeps at work are movie heathens, so im also doing missionary work bringing quality to the masses.
Old 07-13-06, 03:54 AM

I think I have about 50 titles, both TV and Movies, to still watch. Work and a new baby have gotten in the way, but she's 3 months now, so I'm learning when I can fit in a movie.

Battlefield 2 addiction doesn't help either.
Old 07-13-06, 07:40 AM

Okay, here we go. Thankfully my roommate is home for the summer so I have a place to dump this stuff into one place.
You should watch those Christopher Guest films ASAP.
Old 07-13-06, 08:36 AM

My biggest challenge to my unwatched pile is time. Between working 50+ hours a week, remodeling my house, and having a 2 year old son, it is almost impossible to find time to watch a movie. I only have about 25 movies ( at least ones I haven't seen) unwatched but I have only seen about two movies in the last three months. I find it much easier to find time to watch a tv on dvd episode, so I usually do that. I also have 12 unwatched season series so that is going to take considerable time to get through those. I also find that most of my budget is going toward tv shows a so get more entertainment value per dollar and it is much easier to manage time-wise
Old 07-13-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, here we go.
You should probably start with the Millionaire Next Door. Having a large pile of unwatched DVDs is 180 degrees from what that book recommends.

Yeah, that looks like a pretty managable pile, actually.
Old 07-13-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
You should probably start with the Millionaire Next Door. Having a large pile of unwatched DVDs is 180 degrees from what that book recommends.
Ain't it the truth!
Old 07-13-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by THX7966
I have the same problem, a ton of DVDs still unopened. But even worse is I can never decide what to watch, so I end up watching nothing. Pathetic.
Wow. I thought I was the only person in this boat. Seriously, I used to LOVE buying DVDs, but lately it's almost become a chore.
Old 07-13-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anubis, looks like you got a fair amount more gaming you need to do before watching DVDs.

Is your stuff in "order" as to what you're trying to watch/play/read next from top to bottom?
Old 07-13-06, 10:15 AM

Huh, I guess I'm doing okay - I have less than 20 unwatched DVDs and several are just upgraded special editions where I have already seen the film.
Old 07-13-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Anubis, looks like you got a fair amount more gaming you need to do before watching DVDs.

Is your stuff in "order" as to what you're trying to watch/play/read next from top to bottom?
Yeah, most of those games are ones I picked up for $20 or less. My intent was to go through the entire Resident Evil series before Resident Evil 4, but once it was released I just couldn't resist playing it before these others.

A lot of the TV on DVD sets won't take very long to finish because I've been watching them. For example, I have like 3 episodes left on Firefly, etc.

No particular order, I just kinda threw 'em all in there for the picture. I'll probably just use the strategy of finishing what I've started, and then moving on from there.
Old 07-13-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My problem is that I have this internal desire to gather, because in the back of my mind I'm always thinking "One day I'll have time to watch all of these DVDs". It's like I'm a squirrel, collecting for winter or something. I'm always afraid that if I don't buy something - it will go out of print, and I'll either end up never getting it, or having to pay far too much for it.
Old 07-13-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
My problem is that I have this internal desire to gather, because in the back of my mind I'm always thinking "One day I'll have time to watch all of these DVDs". It's like I'm a squirrel, collecting for winter or something. I'm always afraid that if I don't buy something - it will go out of print, and I'll either end up never getting it, or having to pay far too much for it.
Any time I pass on something, that ends up happening to me. So my advice is... don't pass on something.
Old 07-13-06, 12:57 PM
3Js

When do you define a DVD as "Watched"?

When do you consider a DVD to be "watched"?

By that I mean, when you are ready to move on to the next one with no regrets?

It is just viewing the title film? Do you watch the end credits? Or just hit Stop after the last fade out?

Or are you a little more thorough and take in any trailers, bios, interviews, deleted scenes that may be in the extras?

How about the reading of any booklets, inserts, and printed cover materials that are included? Is that a necessary part of your DVD experience?

Finally, are you a total completist who much watch the film and then over again for any commentaries? And you must find every Easter Egg too?

I usually view just about everything but I do draw a line with the commentaries and the eggs.

The most extreme DVD extras I ever came up against were in the Lord Of The Ring Trilogy Extended Editions which had hundreds (if not thousands) of still shots in addition to copious other extras.

Another extreme extra example is The Abyss Special Edition which includes the entire movie script. That was way too much for me.

Depending on your definition viewing a pile of unwatched DVDs could be a major time commitment or no big deal at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.