Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

JEEZ! I'm a grown man getting choked up over an animated series!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

JEEZ! I'm a grown man getting choked up over an animated series!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ep of Superman: TAS in which Bizarro is introduced made me a little teary, I must admit.
Old 07-12-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the Mr' Freeze intro on batman TAS was a great one as well...
Old 07-12-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Just finished Justice League Season 2 and found myself getting choked up at the end of Starcrossed. Any animated TV series that can do that is a damn good one. There's no way any movie can do these characters the justice this series has done these characters. Season 1 was very good. Season 2 was incredible. It's time for Justice League Unlimited sets to be released.

Fantastic DVD set. Decent extras. Although I'd prefer more comprehensive extras, but I realize it's unlikely on a DVD like this. Probably more money than the studio wanted to spend.

No offense, from the thread title you created.. Are you a single guy? never been into a relationship? normally those were the sign that falls under the thread title you made.
Old 07-12-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always get a little choked up at the end of Mother Simpson, when Homer drops his mother off in the dessert and sits on his car as the stars come up. And while it doesn't really choke me up, I think the end of "Won't You Pimai Neighbor?" (King of the Hill) is very sweet.
Old 07-13-06, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beauty and the Beast is indeed emotional. And what about The Lion King and the Baby Mine scene in Dumbo?

Old 07-13-06, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by xage
No offense, from the thread title you created.. Are you a single guy? never been into a relationship? normally those were the sign that falls under the thread title you made.

. . . so because he found that a particular medium moved him, which he didn't expect, he has to be single and have never been in a relationship?

Um, no.
Old 07-13-06, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many animated films and shows, which have many heartbreaking moments like any other live action drama. Films like Dumbo and Bambi made many of our parents cry. I think that most here have mentioned the tear-jerker fillms and shows of the past, but to me was the Justice League Starcrossed episode, as well the episode "For the Man that Has Everything". The Futurama episodes mentioned here, made my cry too as well as the film Lilo and Stitch and the simpsons episode with homer and his mother. One more to add to the list: Charlotte's Web.
Old 07-14-06, 06:48 PM

Episodes 12 and 13 (I think) of Arc The Lad are a tear jerker.
Old 07-14-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the end of batman and mr freeze "subzero" got to me some.
Old 07-14-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Futurama - "Leela's Homeworld" with "Baby Love Child" by Pizzicato Five - gets me every time.
Old 07-15-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished the last JL disk, and while the ending was pretty sad, I'm more upset that I have to wait so long for the next box set!

Okay, this may cost me my Man card, but I'd say the final two episodes of Sailor Moons 1st season pretty much win my 'squall like a baby' award. And no, not the crappy english dub either. From what I've read even Japanese parents were calling the network back in the day when this first aired and were complaining that their kids were traumatized.
Old 07-16-06, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
Several episodes of "Futurama" have that effect on me. Especially "Jurassic Bark."
Seriously!
Old 07-16-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Went and picked up JL season 1 last night. Been hearing such good things about it around here so i'm gonna give it a shot.
Old 07-16-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JL season 1 is good. But it gets MUCH better in season 2. Stick with it.
Old 07-16-06, 03:18 PM

I recently finished watching Kino's Journey, and the last episode was one of the most emotional things I've seen.
Old 07-16-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Night on the Galactic Railway had the same effect on me. At first, it took me a while to get beyond the primitive animation and the "cute" cats but gradually as you realize what sort of journey the cats are on, it becomes truly affecting.
Old 07-16-06, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Several episodes of "Futurama" have that effect on me. Especially "Jurassic Bark."
I was intoduced to that episode about two weeks after finding new homes for my two dogs I had raised almost since birth. I had to leave the room after it was over.
Old 07-16-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sid Ceaser
. . . so because he found that a particular medium moved him, which he didn't expect, he has to be single and have never been in a relationship?

Um, no.
Probably the reason why you are answering on his behalf is simply.. You were the one affected by it.
Old 07-16-06, 08:57 PM
Banned

There are many childish things we never grow out of as adults, so don't feel embarrass, or ashamed. Heck! I see still enjoy eating ice cream cones, buy penny candy ( increased to five cent now) lick lollipops, chew bubble gum, etc. And I really enjoy watching the old, and new Loony Toon cartoons,(Especially Sylvester,and Tweety, they cracks me up everytime) and other animated movies as well. This aspect of our lives will remain with us, until the day we die.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 07-16-06 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No shame in getting choked up in watching cartoons in any form.

Some of the great Simpsons episodes have their share of tear-jerking moments as well ("Lisa's Substitute" and "Mother Simpson" come to mind). What made those episodes so great was that like those aforementioned Futurama episodes, the writers let the emotional moments play out and not try to ruin it with some crazy one-liner or gag which seems to be the case in recent animated shows (the possible exception being King of the Hill).
Old 07-16-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
All this stuff is lightweight. Try making it through The Plague Dogs with dry eyes - it's impossible.
Old 07-16-06, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
That episode where Tom finally caught and ate Jerry made me cry too.
Old 07-17-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I challenge anyone to watch the South Park episode where Butters gets his heart broken by the girl at Raisins and not shed a tear.
What season is that from? I must have missed it.

I just threw the Plague Dogs in my netflix queue and after reading the description and some of the people's reviews, I can see myself shedding a few tears on it due to the subject matter. Project X broke me up as a teenager though I don't think I have seen it again as an adult.

I can't remember if I have ever shed a tear from an animated movie or TV show. I can't imagine crying over a super-hero cartoon but now I am intrigued and will have to check it out. I am a guy who is not ashamed to admit that I cry at more movies than my wife but I tend to be moved by movies much more than she.

I think I have shed a tear during the music scene "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2...but that is more due to the beautiful song lyrics than the subject matter of a discarded toy.

Grave of the Fireflies was a disappointment to me. If you can stay awake thru it, I guess you may shed some tears but jeez is it dull and the voice acting poor.

I saw that many of you mentioned Beauty & the Beast. My memory fails me as to what would make one cry for it. Care to remind me? And what makes the particular episode of Futurama so sad. You can spoil it for me as it is one show I will likely never get around to watching.

The death in The Lion King was probably the closest a cartoon as gotten to making me almost cry (the first time in the theater...not since). SPOILER FOR THOSE 3 PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE LION KING: I did get a little sad again though when my 2 year old son was watching it the other day and he said "Lion King fell down" very sadly to me as Simba cuddles Mufasa's broken body.
Old 07-17-06, 12:21 AM

The first episode of Batman Beyond was pretty sad for me. (the death of the father, and batman (bruce wayne) retiring.
Old 07-17-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
JL season 1 is good. But it gets MUCH better in season 2. Stick with it.
I'm hoping this is the case. I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 1 and have been mostly shaking my head. I know I have to let go a little, but in one episode Hawk Girl used her club to deflect a blow from a would be 'death star' planet killing gun and in the next she clashes it with a sword and drops it. Superman shows up and gets electrocuted in every scene within 2 minutes. I love Superman, and I think the way he is used is frustrating at best. One time, he was chasing a guy and gets electrocuted by a sewer lid and is out of the picture. Might as well call him Super wuss. The episode with Wonder Woman and umm, Satan was just plain bizarre. Lastly, the episode with Lex Luthor and his cohorts was almost so bad, I turned it off. This was more of a cartoon for 8 yr. olds who didn't need logic then for anyone over the age of 13. In one shot, Lex Luthor uses his 'magic table' to analyze Batman's belt and in the next, he's using it on himself to umm transplant his brain or something. Ugh.

I can hardly see myself choking up on this series, unless there is a DRASTIC upgrade to season 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.