Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest [some DVD info]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-08-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Director Gore Verbinski is so busy shooting two sequels back to back, he hasn't had much time to plan the DVDs. But as Verbinski finished the first sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, producer Jerry Bruckheimer has said more footage of a dice game with ghosts may end up on the DVD. Visual effects already have been completed on the additional footage of the contest between Will (Orlando Bloom) and the ghosts of cursed pirates.

"There aren't really whole scenes that were omitted, but there are a lot of pieces of scenes and more information about characters," Verbinski said during promotion on the upcoming film. "[There is] some wonderful stuff on Cannibal Island with Johnny [Depp], some very funny things that you just couldn't put in," Bruckheimer added.

Writer Ted Elliot said filmmakers shot a scene featuring Jack Davenport as Commodore Norrington at the end of the movie, but since it contained information more relevant to the third film, it was omitted from the second. "When we were actually looking at the movie, we didn't need that information in this movie."

Bruckheimer also suspects the DVD for Dead Man's Chest could include a trailer for the third "Pirates" film, though Verbinski is unsure he will have enough material completed in time. "I don't know if we�re going to have enough shots or the visual effects completed," he said. "These DVDs come out so fast now."

One thing that is certain is there will be plenty of behind-the-scenes material for documentaries and featurettes. "We had a guy there most of the time [during the script phase, pre-production and production]" Bruckheimer said. "I think we gave the assistant cameramen some video cameras or digital cameras, so there's lots of material." (Thanks to THR)

DAVISDVD.com
Old 07-08-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll wait for the eventual boxset.
Old 07-08-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'll wait for the eventual boxset.
I might do the same since I am one of the only people on Earth who does not own POTC
Old 07-08-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never seen it, and don't own it. I'm not opposed to it, just haven't gotten around to buying it, and I never go to the movies anymore. I'll probably blind buy the box set too.
Old 07-08-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suspect that for almost every major movie, even if the directors aren't focusing on the eventual DVD, the producers and studios very definitely consider the possibilities from day one.
Old 07-08-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I want is a DTS track and a feature that shows how they turned Bill Nighy into Davy Jones and I'll be happy.
Old 07-08-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
I would suspect that for almost every major movie, even if the directors aren't focusing on the eventual DVD, the producers and studios very definitely consider the possibilities from day one.
Exactly. Among the extensive credits for Dead Man's Chest is one for the DVD producer.
Old 07-08-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I saw that too..
Old 08-06-06, 11:19 AM

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 12/5

DavisDVD says 12/5 for the DVD.
Old 08-06-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good news.

Now hopefully we don't get a bare bones release. The first one was pretty well packed with extras. I'm hoping they don't get skimpy, but hell, it's almost a given nowadays.
Old 08-06-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks...haven't actually seen the movie yet but I hope to before it bails on theaters here in town. Will blind-buy at the right price, though...
Old 08-06-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't had time to check it out in the theatres too, but I'm sure I'll blind-buy this at some point
Old 08-06-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Already being discussed here
Old 08-06-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wasn't better than the first one by far, but it was still probably the most enjoyable summer flick this year. Can't wait to own more Sparrow!
Old 08-06-06, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Wasn't better than the first one by far
I'd like a minute for rebuttal...
Old 08-06-06, 12:47 PM

sweet, can't wait for that release. What a great summer movie!
Old 08-06-06, 02:09 PM

Day one purchase. Enjoyed it more than the first.
Old 08-06-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to this bigtime.
Old 08-06-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait for this one. Best movie of the year for me, by far.
Old 08-06-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'd like a minute for rebuttal...
Well don't get me wrong, I'd say it was the best movie I've seen all year. I definitely liked how it was darker, I liked how we got a great continuation of the story but this movie did lack some sort of a spark that the first film had. Does it ruin the film? No, but there were some scenes that were very unnecessary, but once they were out of the way, the movie really moved along very well. I hardly ever go to the movies, because most movies are hardly worth seeing in the theater anymore. But I had seen this one twice. So that definitely says something.
Old 08-07-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lets hope the transfer is better for Dead mans chest than the original was... But DTS is a must
Old 08-07-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope they release one 2-disc version of this movie. I hope they don't take the Chronicles of Narnia route and do a bare bones 1 disc version and a 2 disc version that costs almost 10 dollars more. Also since Verbinski is still shooting part 3, I wonder if he will have time to do an audio commentary.
Old 08-07-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyed the film, but wasn't wowed by it, and will wait patiently for the third film to be released on DVD before I do anything. Will likely be a boxed set of everything at that point, and that's what I will get.

--THX
Old 08-08-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably rent it when released, and pick up the eventual boxed set. The movie was great, but not enough to double-dip on the dvd.