Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection Vol.2 ----> 10/3/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-28-06, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection Volume 2 for 3rd October 2006. Highlighting this collection which honours one of the most popular movie actors of all time is a deluxe new 3-Disc Special Edition of The Maltese Falcon, featuring a newly-remastered edition of the 1941 John Huston masterpiece starring Bogart as Dashiell Hammett’s definitive Sam Spade. This new deluxe set is loaded with hours of bonuses including the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon and the 1936 film, Satan Met a Lady, commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax, a recently recovered additional scene as well as vintage Warner “Night at the Movies” features.

Also contained in the collection are four more Bogart classics making their DVD debuts -- Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, All Through the Night and Passage to Marseille. Each film has been restored from the original camera negatives and has been digitally remastered, with each title enhanced with entertaining features. The new five film, seven-disc gift set will sell for $59.92 SRP; all titles are exclusive to the collection, except The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition, which will also sell separately for $29.92 SRP.

The Maltese Falcon Three-Disc Special Edition (1941)
This nominee for three Academy Awards – Best Picture, Supporting Actor (Greenstreet) and Screenplay (Huston) – solidified Bogart’s stardom and launched John Huston’s illustrious directorial career. An all-star cast (including Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr.) joins Bogart in this classic film noir story about hard-boiled detective Sam Spade (Bogart) and the gallery of lowlifes he’s after to find his partner’s killer as well as the jewel-encrusted life size statue of a falcon. Filled with twists and turns, the crackling mystery masterwork was based on Dashiell Hammett’s novel. The Maltese Falcon was added to the National Film Registry in 1989 and is #23 on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) List of 100 Greatest Movies.

This all-new 3-Disc Special Edition is full of extras, including two features which preceded Bogie’s landmark Falcon -- the 1931 pre-code version of The Maltese Falcon and the 1936 film, Satan Met a Lady, starring Bette Davis.

Disc One Special Features:
New digital transfer of 1941 movie from restored elements
Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax
Warner Night at the Movies 1941 short subjects gallery:
Vintage Newsreel, Oscar®-Nominated Technicolor musical short The Gay Parisian
Classic Cartoon: Oscar® nominee Hiawatha’s Rabbit Hunt
Trailers of The Maltese Falcon and 1941’s Sergeant York
Languages: English & French (1941 movie only)
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (1941 movie only)

Disc Two Special Features:
2 Previous movie versions of the classic Hammett caper:
The Maltese Falcon (1931) with Bebe Daniels and Ricardo Cortez
Satan Met a Lady (1936) with Bette Davis and Warren William
Theatrical trailers

Disc Three Special Features:
New Documentary The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird
Robert Osborne Hosts Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
Breakdowns of 1941: Studio Blooper Reel
Audio-only bonus: 3 radio show adaptations featuring the movie’s original stars including a version starring Edward G. Robinson

Across the Pacific (1942)
The winning team from The Maltese Falcon is reunited for Across the Pacific. This crisply written wartime thriller reunites three Falcon leads -- Bogart, Mary Astor and Sydney Greenstreet. The Maltese Falcon’s John Huston directs this reunion, and once again, the combination of stars and director comes up a winner. Here Bogart plays counterspy Rick Leland who trades romantic barbs with Alberta (Mary Astor), matches wits with sly Lorenz (Sydney Greenstreet) and swaps bullets with saboteurs of the Panama Canal.

DVD Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Patriotic Technicolor short Men of the Sky
Classic cartoon The Draft Horse
Trailers of Across the Pacific and 1942’s Captains of the Clouds
New featurette Hollywood Helps the Cause
Breakdowns of 1942: Studio Blooper Reel
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (feature film only)

Action in the North Atlantic (1943)
This World War II salute to the Merchant Marines is an action-filled voyage of a besieged freighter and shows how the role of these men supplying the war effort was the lifeblood of democracy’s arsenal. Humphrey Bogart, a World War I seaman and an avid recreational sailor, stars as First Officer Joe Rossi who, along with his captain (Raymond Massey), matches tactics with U-boats and the Luftwaffe. The tactics were so on target that this became a Merchant Marine training film.

DVD Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1943 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Musical short Cavalcade of Dance
Classic cartoon Greetings Bait
Trailers of Action in the North Atlantic and 1943’s Northern Pursuit
New featurette Credit Where Credit Is Due
Audio-only bonus: radio show with George Raft and Raymond Massey

All Through the Night (1942)
In this comedy thriller, Bogart had fun in the change-of-pace role of Gloves Donahue, a NY gambler and petty crook. Gloves is definitely more interested in his racing sheet and favourite cheesecake than he is in current events, until the baker gets bumped off, and that changes everything. The fun is winningly contagious in a spoof that pits him against Nazi spies. The wonderful supporting cast of shady, but good guys includes William Demarest, Jackie Gleason and Phil Silvers, all of whom seem to have stepped from Damon Runyon’s Guys and Dolls world.

DVD Special Features:
Commentary by director Vincent Sherman and Bogart biographer Eric Lax
Warner Night at the Movies 1942 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Joe Doakes comedy short So You Want to Give Up Smoking
Classic cartoon Lights Fantastic
Trailers of All Through the Night and 1942’s Gentleman Jim
New featurette Call the Usual Suspects: The Craft of the Character Actor

Passage to Marseille (1944)
Humphrey Bogart reunites with director Michael Curtiz and other key Casablanca personnel (including co-stars Claude Rains, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet). Bogart plays Jean Matrac, a World War II French patriot who escapes Devil’s Island, survives a dangerous freighter voyage and becomes a gunner in the Free French Air Corps.

The film sailed into theaters on stormy seas. Controversy surrounded the scene in which Matrac machine-guns the helpless survivors of a downed plane that attacked the freighter. That a soldier of freedom would act ignobly brought protests from religious and censorship groups.

DVD Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1944 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Oscar®-winning patriotic short I Won’t Play and Oscar® nominee Jammin’ the Blues
Classic cartoon The Weakly Reporter
Trailers of Passage to Marseille and 1944’s Uncertain Glory
New featurette The Free French: Forgotten Unsung Victors
Breakdowns of 1944: Studio Blooper Reel

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61790
Old 06-28-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They had me at the three-discer of The Maltese Falcon. Been holding off on the current edition forever in anticipation for this. Wasn't Key Largo supposed to be getting a new release, too, though?
Old 06-28-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Maybe you can ask a mod to merge your thread with the existing one since the title only indicate the Maltese Falcon release.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....4&page=1&pp=25
Old 06-29-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Maltese Falcon sounds terrific. I've seen a few of the others in the set, and I'm not sure I really want to own them, so this may be one of the rare cases where I pass on a WB set and simply grab the one title that I really want. (Unless, of course, there is some agressive pricing on the box set and I can get it for $10-15 more than the one title alone would be costing me.)
Old 06-29-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent, this looks great! Too bad Vol. 1 was just a rehash of stuff already available, I hate starting with Vol. 2... but I'll get over it lol
Old 06-29-06, 11:06 AM

Going on my wishlist for the fall DDD sale. Though I may end up just getting it on release day.
Old 06-29-06, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

I think Warner is sensitive to consumer needs, at least a lot more than their competition.

It seems that since they've done a BOGIE BACALL sig collection, and a new BOGART collection of previously unreleased films, it is impressive that they've repackaged and reformatted the balance of their previously issued Bogart films into a revision of the BOGART COLL before they started their Signature Series.

Now, everything will be organized and equal. No more snappers mixed in with Amarays.

All Bogarts spread over three collections (except for Bogart titles in GANGSTER colls. and the Bette Davis colls) so everything is equal and organized...and boxed sets priced at great bargain rates...transfers all superlative. Nothing to complain about...only to praise
Old 06-30-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Woohoo! As I've said elsewhere, this year is shaping up to be one of the best release years ever!
Old 08-24-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-02-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Vol 1 has Casablanca (in the box upside down) and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre in regular size cases, and then the other two in slim cases. This looks odd because it doesn't fit the box at all. All the DVDs in part 2 are in slim cases, even The Maltese Falcon three disc. Again, it is a bad fit for the box with some empty space in there. Is this how everyone's sets are? Casablanca being upside down in Vol. 1 makes me wonder if maybe this was maybe a mistake. I know the DVD being good is key and everything, but I want to be sure these poor fits were intentional.
Old 10-02-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
The Maltese Falcon sounds terrific. I've seen a few of the others in the set, and I'm not sure I really want to own them, so this may be one of the rare cases where I pass on a WB set and simply grab the one title that I really want. (Unless, of course, there is some agressive pricing on the box set and I can get it for $10-15 more than the one title alone would be costing me.)
What he said.
Old 10-02-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I just got this, and I think a lot of people are gonna be pissed off at the packaging.

The movies are all in slim-cases, packed into a flimsy paper box which, as onebyone stated, is far too big for 6 slim-cases - a 7th would fit in it just fine. It's like the last noir set, but I think worse.

I thought at least Maltese Falcon would be in a nice digi-pack (like the Searchers was in the Wayne/Ford set), but no, just one slim line for the movie and one for the two discs of extras.

The way it's all slapped together feels really cheap - almost bootleg-caliber shoddyness. What's worse is that out of the six slim-cases, two are black and four are clear - just totally senseless and random. Adding to the randomness, the cover insert for MF's first disc is two-sided with the second side being the cover of it's 2nd and 3rd disc, who's cover is single sided - it's like they just threw this thing together yesterday, with no thought whatsoever.

I wouldn't be so pissed if they at least packed Maltese Falcon separately in it's own case, but the way it is, is a big disappointment, which puts me in an off-mood before I even pop in the dvds...

Oh, and if anyone has questions about the set, let me know what to look for, I'm gonna dig into it tonight.

Last edited by slop101; 10-02-06 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I just got this, and I think a lot of people are gonna be pissed off at the packaging.

The movies are all in slim-cases, packed into a flimsy paper box which, as onebyone stated, is far too big for 6 slim-cases - a 7th would fit in it just fine. It's like the last noir set, but I think worse.

I thought at least Maltese Falcon would be in a nice digi-pack (like the Searchers was in the Wayne/Ford set), but no, just one slim line for the movie and one for the two discs of extras.

The way it's all slapped together feels really cheap - almost bootleg-caliber shoddyness. What's worse is that out of the six slim-cases, two are black and four are clear - just totally senseless and random. Adding to the randomness, the cover insert for MF's first disc is two-sided with the second side being the cover of it's 2nd and 3rd disc, who's cover is single sided - it's like they just threw this thing together yesterday, with no thought whatsoever.

I wouldn't be so pissed if they at least packed Maltese Falcon separately in it's own case, but the way it is, is a big disappointment, which puts me in an off-mood before I even pop in the dvds...

Oh, and if anyone has questions about the set, let me know what to look for, I'm gonna dig into it tonight.
Do you think they forgot to include the Maltese Falcon's slipcover since there's extra space in the box?
Old 10-02-06, 08:26 PM

I'll take slimline cases over digipak garbage anyday like most people. I was hoping that they would use slimline cases. I tought I caught a glimpse of the slimline packaging on Turner Classic Movies earlier, but I could not find any pictures online to confirm it.
Old 10-02-06, 08:47 PM

So, I guess it wasn't just me then. It looked so cheap and messed up that I thought someone had messed with it somehow. My mind didn't want to accept this packaging as being legit.

Agreed on Maltese. Having that at least be right would have taken some of the sting off of both vol 1 and vol 2 being, as you noted, seemingly thrown together over night.

Originally Posted by J.P.V.
Do you think they forgot to include the Maltese Falcon's slipcover since there's extra space in the box?
Interesting question. I haven't seen that release on its own so I have no idea. However, Vol. 1 has its two Special Edition DVDs in their original cases and the box still isn't a great fit for the DVDs. It's like they just kind of guessed what size box they might need for these.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-02-06 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Want at least the Maltese Falcon, but this one has HD DVD must buy all over it and I will wait and hope for a 2007 HD release.
Old 10-03-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw the Maltese Falcon set at Best Buy - it had it own slip-cover, which would've fit in the Bogie set just fine. And since the Volume2 box was sized to fit it, I'm sure there was some screw-up that kept them from including the MF case in the set.

Pretty shoddy, Warners.
Old 10-03-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zvbxrpl
I think Warner is sensitive to consumer needs, at least a lot more than their competition.

It seems that since they've done a BOGIE BACALL sig collection, and a new BOGART collection of previously unreleased films, it is impressive that they've repackaged and reformatted the balance of their previously issued Bogart films into a revision of the BOGART COLL before they started their Signature Series.

Now, everything will be organized and equal. No more snappers mixed in with Amarays.

All Bogarts spread over three collections (except for Bogart titles in GANGSTER colls. and the Bette Davis colls) so everything is equal and organized...and boxed sets priced at great bargain rates...transfers all superlative. Nothing to complain about...only to praise
OK, now I'm getting mad. First it was film noir. Vol. 3 then I find out about the Astaire and Rodgers collection being packaged in slim cases as opoosed to the first keep case run, now I go to get the Bogart Collections to find paper cases mixed with slim packs and a 3 disc set split into two slim packs and the rest in the (IMHO) inferior slim packs.

DAMMIT! WB was always the studio that released items looking classy, organized and in continuity and now, they are the worst it seems. Regardless if slim packs save space, the spines are hard to read and look bland compared to the style that was available with keepcases. A collector building a library like me absolutely hates this. I know others like to save space, but to me, they look cheap and they don't display or read well.

HELP US OUT WB - GO BACK TO YOUR 'CARING ABOUT COLLECTORS' STYLE.
Old 10-03-06, 05:06 PM

WB made it pretty clear in an online chat that they were going to be using this strategy for multidisc releases that were not available individually because "They make sense."

http://www.digitalbits.com/articles/022106htfchat.html
Old 10-03-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I couldn't care less about the slim-cases - but having a multi-disc of one film among other discs in a box without it's own slip (especially when one exists and the outer box is made to accomidate such a thing), is just cheap and half-assed on Warner's part.
Old 10-03-06, 07:06 PM

I couldn't care less about the slim-cases - but having a multi-disc of one film among other discs in a box without it's own slip (especially when one exists and the outer box is made to accomidate such a thing), is just cheap and half-assed on Warner's part.

I don't care what it comes in, really. I don't need my almost 3,000 titles to match and fit perfectly next to each other on the shelf. Like I've always said.....they can sell them to me wrapped in a brown paper bag and I'll be fine.

but having a multi-disc of one film among other discs in a box without it's own slip....
Yeah...that is cheap.
Old 10-03-06, 08:57 PM

I had a real tough time finding a Volume 2 box that wasn't bent and damaged. I found a pretty good one, but when I noticed how Maltese Falcon was simply two thin cases amid all the other cases, with no slipcase, I almost put the set back and opted for the Maltese Falcon by itself. But, $36.19 for the whole sheebang isn't bad, so I got the set.

I don't mind the slimline cases when it comes to shelf space. But aesthetically - yuck. The cases not fitting into the outer box properly is just plain shoddy.
Old 10-04-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody have a scan of the maltese falcon slipcover?
Old 10-04-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, further, has anybody made covers for keepcases yet?
Old 10-25-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i finally got this in the mail today...disc one of my maltese falcon has the disc 2/3 cover on the flipside of the cover...its double sided...however the disc 2/3 cover is single sided...anybody else have happen

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.